Best lift stand for a thumper?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Nom de Guerre, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a Fly Racing lift stand from my local shop last week, and I just returned it today because I feel it's just too wanky. My 640 Adventure leans to the right while on it due to the flimsy nature of the centerpost.

I seem to recall seeing a few sturdy ones here and there. I think Vrago had a nice one IIRC. Vincent or any others care to give me some advice on what works for you?

This is what the one I just returned looks like:

[​IMG]
  2. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    $69.99 from your local Harbor Freight Tools.
  3. ride no evo

ride no evo Suck it Trebek

Oddometer:
    how high does that thing lift, I think the craftsman one only lifts like 14", which would be barely enough to get my bike off the ground
  4. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    That yellow one looks exactly like the Craftsman one. I got it a few weeks ago at the store on sale for $88. It's OK. Kinda hard to hide though.
  5. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Matey,

That looks like the shizz. Does it lift high enough for a 640 Adventure? I assume it does since you have one, right?

Thanks for the lead!
  6. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Oops, I was wrong. There was something weird about the safety latches on the yellow one; i.e. they appear to be missing.

[​IMG]
  7. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Craftsman looks a little beefier on closer inspection. I wonder if the Yellow one has a higher lift spec?

Check out the bottom of the frame on the Craftsmen... it seems to have an additional metal base welded on (like an I beam deal), and also the wheels on the left side of the pic are outboard, which seems like it would add stability.
  8. potatoho

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's kindof a clap-trap. But it works as long as you don't mind a little knuckle scrape along the way. The yellow one says it also latches in several places. I don't see how, though they both have a similar looking bar to activate the locking.

Didn't mean to imply that it wasn't stable. It's more like overkill. The clap-trap part is this laughable little tab on the pump, which has no purpose at all. But when you go to stow the "safety" locking arm, it's right there, ready to pinch your knuckle.
  9. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    I bought this one at Sam's Club last year. I think they were under $100 last time I was there.

I like it. It is light weight, but feels strong, handle pops out quickly to make storing easier, plates move for different size bikes and large safety pin works great. Once it is tied down it is very easy to get to the bike, not much getting in the way. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    You bet the HF one is tall enuf to get an LC4 Adventure off the ground.

Oh and did I mention
    $69.99
    They're sometimes on sale for cheaper, but I paid $69.99 and got a 3 year warranty for free cuz it wasn't on sale.

And it does indeed have the safety latches like the Craftsman, but the HF one has 5 positions while my brother's Craftsman only has 3.
  11. potatoho

Oddometer:
    :tb :tb :tb :tb :tb :tb
    It's aluminum too! Dayum. Hang on the wall. I need a lift just to to stow my lift.
  12. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    I looked it up at samsclub.com.

CREW LINE
    ALUM. MOTORCYCLE/ATV 1500 LB
    Item: 709892
    Price: $77.81
  13. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
  14. RT jim

RT jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I'm building aluminum products all day long. How the hell they make those and sell at that price. Looks nice . Must buy 100,000 of them from China.
  15. patch29

patch29 Surly Rider

Oddometer:
    Last year they were $175 for the longest time, DAMHIK :baldy
  16. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I think I'll try to get that Sam's Club lift. Now I just have to find me someone who is a member of Sam's Club!
  17. 4Rider

4Rider Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer:
    One of my racing friends came up with a simple and excellent idea. He bought one of the cheap lifts from Kragen Auto Part. They advertise the lift every Sunday in the paper for $49 or $59. (San Diego Union on the Comics overleaf) The same unit is sold in the Checker, Autozone, Pep Boys and Chief's auto parts stores, and probably in most of the other discount houses. Sears also sold the same lift, but for a few bucks more.

He then welded some 3/4" square tubing into a box frame that fit on top of the lift carriage, and barely cleared the bottom of his bike when the lift was fully retracted. The lift raises something like 16", so it lifts the bike high enough that he does not have to bend over to do routine service. As the tubing frame is a sideless and topless box, he can still get to the bottom of the skidplate and the underside of the engine. The lift platform is fairly large, and he made the box to fit the bottom of his bike which was narrower than the lift.

I'm going to copy his idea, sized to fit my bike. Once I get it done I'll figure out how to post photo and put it up for all to see. His total cost for the frame was about $5 for a length of lightwall 3/4" tubing and about 20 minutes at the welder.
  18. RT jim

RT jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you can get a one time buyer at sam's . But you can get one years member and return for full money back if you don't like it.
  19. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the catch is you have to be a small business owner, no?

4Rider,
    That sounds cool, albeit more work than I have in mind. Still, I'd love to see how it turns out.
  20. Max Power

Max Power Secret Agent

Oddometer:
    I like simple.

[​IMG]