Best Motorcycle Campsite Items, Goodies and Ideas?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Perkio, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ts3doug

ts3doug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the half dome 2 plus and it is great but, very heavy. Buddy has the hubba hubba 2 man and it seems to be the cats
  2. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    I have one-man and two-man tents. Each has distinct advantages. When camping during cooler weather, my issue ICS is hard to beat. Blackout capability means it's quite warm, and the vestibule on the backside protects my gear from the elements. The tent and poles pack smaller and shorter than a compressed sleeping bag, and the digital camo pattern allows for stealth as the environment and your circumstances may require.
    84ceejay and LDesp like this.
  3. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I have done camping for three decades. I have camped with tarps, hammocks, one man tents, two man tents, wall tents with wood stoves, bivies, etc. How much it sucks, to not have the ability to sit up while in a tent cannot be minimized. The ability to stand up is a godsend. My personal thoughts are do not buy a tent that you cannot sit up in without first testing it in the backyard overnight. I am dead serious about this. Personally I don't bring anything in the woods without testing it at home first.

Just what I consider a useful suggestion.
    YMMV,
    KR
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I should probably try that. My own fault I suppose, usually don't drink enough. In hot weather, I like something very cold, so hard to carry anything and have it cold enough for me to WANT to drink a lot.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  5. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have or used a lone rider tent? I just discovered them and kinda like the idea of keeping the bike out of sight and the elements when you sleep seems you can zip it up and keep it somewhat secure not having to totally unpack gear at night.

Here is a video of it

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/the-motorcycle-tent-mototent-v2

They are pretty expensive though so curious if any riders here have any comments on them?
  6. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    this looks the same as the Redverz tent which quite a few of us have. there are several threads on this tent on ADV if you search. bottom line is this is an expensive, large and heavy tent to carry (17lbs, packs 21"x9"), but it is very luxurious to use with headroom for standing in both the sleeping and "garage" area. they are great to hang out in if it is raining. i bought one in the flea market here and i use it if i am going to be setting up camp somewhere for more than 2 days. if i am going to be moving campsites daily, i bring a much smaller, lighter, 2-person backpacking tent.
    SmittyBlackstone and LDesp like this.
  7. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for your input. The mototent says its 12 lbs .. I will check out the adv search and the redverz as well.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    i just checked and the Mototent is about the same size as the Redverz Solo model and the same weight (price, specs., etc., as far as i can tell); the 16lb Redverz i cited above is their larger model. fyi, there were a few Redverz tents in the flea market recently for $300.
    SmittyBlackstone and LDesp like this.
  9. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very cool and thanks for pointing out the flea market, I am new on the forums and did not know it was there I will surely check it out.
  10. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

You may have missed this thread.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/redverz-tent-thread.1146262/

I am an owner of the Redverz Solo and like it very much. My friend has the full size and he loves his also.

Packed on the bike. The big green bag on the back:
    [​IMG]

Mine and my buddies setup on the Hampster trail:
    [​IMG]

Setup near Churchill falls:
    [​IMG]

KR
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input and sharing the pics, helps put the size into perspective. I will take a look at that thread.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I should also point out that while I have never put my bike in the tent. My friend did it every night we camped out. It is his normal.

[​IMG]

KR
  13. LDesp

LDesp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess would depend on how active the camping area is with other people when deciding to put the bike in or not, nice to have the option though. Out of sight out of mind.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    That is exactly why he does it.

KR
    LDesp likes this.
  15. SirWinston119

SirWinston119 #rainbowdash119 #notgay #mylittlepony

Oddometer:
    Alps is waaaaay better. Had both. Alps is hard to beat. Eureka failed 3 times.
    Also I have the alps 1.5 and 2. Both have room for gear in the vestibule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LDesp likes this.
  16. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
  17. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    waylongway likes this.
  18. Old fool

Old fool Road rider

Oddometer:
    Come on over here and we'll look after that for you . . .
  19. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Big Agnes Angel Springs 2 person backpacking tent, just enough for 1 person and gear but only about 2 lbs. Get a backpacking tent, better built and much lighter and can be used for backpacking also, I carried this tent for 25 miles on the High Sierra Trail
  20. BiGR Rich

BiGR Rich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got this for camping off the bicycle:

https://www.amazon.com/Andake-Ultralight-Backpacking-Double-Sided-Silicone-Coated/dp/B01L1F8UPE

The one that was sent to me was obviously used (small tear in the fly near the bottom, 5 stakes were bent / had mud on them) so when I contacted the seller for a replacement, they refunded my $ and told me to keep the tent. Score!

I set it up in the yard, but haven't gotten to use it properly yet - maybe this week. It is SMALL inside, but also packs very small which is why I wanted it. The tent, rain fly, stakes, 48" tent pole (diy from eBay tent poles), and my diy tyvek ground sheet (since the tent doesn't include one) all fit into one of the red water resistant bags from Wal-Mart.

I definitely wouldn't plan on using it as my only shelter for weeks at a time, but it should work pretty good for short "UL" trips. Or even as a backup shelter for folks that hotel it regularly but can't find a room in time.