Best Motorcycle Campsite Items, Goodies and Ideas?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Perkio, Mar 6, 2014.

1. waylongway

waylongway madmax

Oddometer:
    It is 16x5 w/ poles....I wanted it to go in my bags, not outside....The lights are made into the tent.....

I have had the lights in my other tent for a while.....

www.amazon.com/dp/B00M3PM134/ref=asc_df_B00M3PM1345199256/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B00M3PM134&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126940649&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3311128491806550451&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032625&hvtargid=pla-304675675826

Still on the same batteries.....:-)
  2. Recklessfxdf

Recklessfxdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys all great info one thing that I like doing when I am on a solo motorcycle trip is I like to do "Hobo Camping" thats where I sleep for free. I have slept in graveyards, picnic tables, back of banquet halls (they usually have nice landscaping), put a hammock up in-between trees at a park or use a baseball backstop to hang my hammock, or just off the road out of sight/ out of mind. I love the hobo camping nights because I get to save money and usually get a great story.
    I also have another travel hack I like to go to the best western or motel 6 and take advantage of their free breakfast. I walk in like I own the joint and help myself. if you act like you belong, you will belong. Word to the wise stick to the chain motels bc the small mom and pop places usually don't have a good spread and they remember the guests. hahah I might have been called out once or twice.
    Enjoy the ride!!!
  3. oregonsurveyor

oregonsurveyor Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And, as the video says, it's very "comfor-TAH-blah".
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  4. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    Stealth camping, with possible trespass, and theft of services. Got it.
    Bike2it, cal08, Zubb and 7 others like this.
  5. Recklessfxdf

Recklessfxdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want to split hairs I guess..... but it's all about the story right???
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    No, theft is theft. If you are not staying at the motel the food isn't free. If you are out traveling leaving your home with no one in it and someone spent the night, helped themselves to breakfast from your kitchen and left as if they owned the place would you be cool with that? It would be a great story, right?
    Bike2it, cal08, Meritlane and 9 others like this.
  7. Recklessfxdf

Recklessfxdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think your analogy is exactly apples to apples. One is breaking and entering to a private residence and having breakfast while the other one is going into an open business and having breakfast. Granted it is stealing but do you think everyone who is staying at the hotel will get the breakfast? I highly doubt it, therefore I'm eating one of their portions. That's how inrationalize it... I found a gray area that I can live with.
  8. MatttheHatt

MatttheHatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're a thief. No rationalization to get around it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Bike2it, cal08, boatpuller and 9 others like this.
  9. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I have stealth camped before, chruch back yards, open fields, down a dirt road.
    Roll in at dusk, gone by dawn. Leave nothing but tracks, take nothing but pictures.
    I would never have the balls to walk into a motel or other business like that.
    kind of defeats the reason for this.
  10. mylastbike

mylastbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I have a legitimate question about coffee and camping. If you’re anything like me, you need to take a poo within 30 minutes of downing your first cup. Do you just wait around camp until the “urge” hits you or get back on the bike in the morning then stop soon after to take care of business?

I rarely drink coffee on moto trips because of the affect it has on me. I don’t want to be somewhere without a place to “evacuate!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  11. FenceJumper09

FenceJumper09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is always a place to evacuate, just depends on how bad you need it!

Attached Files:

MatttheHatt and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  12. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer

Oddometer:
    due to the issues with pads in my riding gear...it's not that easy to take care of biz while suited up. So I tend to linger at the start of the day until the coffee has done it's secondary job.

Meritlane and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  13. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I like to take care of business and then get suited up. Trying to sit on a toilet with riding pants/boots sucks!
    kojack06, Don03st, Meritlane and 2 others like this.
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    :lol3:jack:lol3 As a women the issue goes throughout the day. :lol3 Try squatting in the bushes in riding gear if you think sitting on a toilet in riding gear is tough. Some women have gone with the "funnel" to stand up while urinating however to me it is gross to pack a plastic item that has been urinated through with me. Yuk, just Yuk.

Probably the best solution is have morning coffee then start packing up, take care of business, gear up and ride without concern.
    Endorphin and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    Oatmeal & coffee first thing. Urinate, defecate second. Gear up third.
  16. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC rider

Oddometer:
    Bump.
    Such an informative thread
  17. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    So, i kind of hate to do this, but, as there seems to be for everything, there's a thread for that: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/so-where-does-everyone-poop.1140762/
  18. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Just an idea ! The new expensive tents are selling with "mountain glow" lights inside. Just too buy the led lights alone are about $40 for the kit. I just bought some battery operated bright white Xmas lights for $5 and the found similar kits at the 99c store. A couple of strands and you have the same effect and they weigh nothing and take up no space. You be styling!:-) Happy Xmas !
  19. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    My kit:

Warbonnet XLC Hammock
    Big Agnes Lost Ranger, in the colder months, I use a top quilt and underquilt
    Xped UL synmat
    Cuben Fiber Tarp
    Xped inflatable pillow (Sea to Summit now makes the same thing for less $$)
    2 freeze dried meals that I hope to never use
    Kitchen: Jet Boil, 1 titanium cup, Via coffee, sugar, creamer, titanium spoon, lighter
    Bathroom: toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, hand sanitizer, shit tickets, baby wipes, ibuprofen, bandaids, leukotape, camp soap, microfiber towel, insect repellent
    Bathroom and kitchen are in Sea to Summit Toiletry bags
    2 pairs of socks, one for riding, one for sleeping
    Camp shoes (flip flops)
    2 pair of underwear
    2 shirts, one for riding, one for sleeping
    I pair of synthetic long underwear
    Down jacket
    Microfiber beanie
    Platypus 4L gravity filtration system, I leave the "clean" bag at home and filter direct to my camel back
    Ass pad (thermarest z-lite)
    Headlamp
    Charger and cords, iphone for the kindle app, tunes, and audio books

My base weight, without tools, is under 25 pounds and fits into 40 L of space. No way I am carrying a chair. Ass pad on the ground, lean against the front tire. As long as I can get food and water when I get gas, I can stay out for days.
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Nicely done. My kit is VERY similar.
    I'll blame it on my age but I've since added 1 Helinox chair. 1 boy scout axe (with an almost razor sharp edge) with handle cut down just long enough to still use 2 handed.
    These two items are obnoxiously large and ridiculously heavy. But with my Zeiga side cases and a medium sized waterproof duffle across the pillion seat I have all the room in world for these 2 silly addons.
    Why the axe? Because I can source and split firewood in a new york minute with this proper tool. It works so damn well that I don't ever plan to moto camp without it again.
    People laugh when I pull it off the bike, but they look with envy when they see me sitting by my roaring fire, on my comfy camp chair drinking beer while they are still trying to get their itty bitty blaze going.