Best Ninja 250 Tech Forum?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by duck, May 23, 2008.

1. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this is 205 but when I searched on Ninja 250 I got pages of results and I am too lazy to weed through all of that.

Anyhow, my bro(45) is getting a used Ninja 250 tomorrow and since I'll be his mechanic I'll probably need a tech resource.

I've found this one but the format bites the big one: http://forums.ninja250.org/ It looks lkie a dial-up BBS from 1985.

Any good Ninja 250 forums out there?

I can't wait to take it for a spin. I hear they're fun. (What motorcycle isn't?)
  2. Lochlyn_Deckard

Lochlyn_Deckard Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer:
    The format is annoying and I think they like it that way.

It's probably the best resource, however, and may be the oldest 250 forum that's out there. And that means lots of experience and info.

Have you checked the FAQ section:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page
  3. ddennis669

ddennis669 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you have found the best one as far as information goes, even if the format makes it hard to find stuff. There are alot of people with years (decades) of experience with the little Ninja that hang out there. The search works OK but best of all is the the FAQ.

My advice in order of usefullness:

1) Read the Ninja250.org FAQ :deal

2) get the shop manual and supplement

3) Use the then search tool at Ninja250.org

4) Post a question to the Classic Ninja 250 thread
    http://forums.ninja250.org/viewforum.php?f=6

5) Go watch my video on my Ninja250 quest. :lol3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVxoVEMTXp8#GU5U2spHI_4
  4. Lochlyn_Deckard

Oddometer:
    When you do post, make sure you mention you did a search:

All new users, please read this before posting - http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?p=448982#448982:

"If you don't utilize the resources we've made available (and we can tell, oh yes), chances are excellent that one of the regulars will make fun of you or might even just delete your message. If this happens, it's probably not a personal attack. We get a lot of new users here, and a lot of them don't bother helping themselves at all, they just expect a quick answer."

They can sometimes be brutal. :lol3
  5. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I'll use that one then.
  6. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Maybe for my first post I'll ask what FAQ stands for. :D
  7. nashopolis

nashopolis Been here awhile

Oddometer:

look out! they sure a cranky bunch when it comes to that stuff
    :D

but seriously it is a really good source of info on the ninja250
    and also the mind of a new motorcycle owner
    (actually that is my favorite part)

well except for my fantasy ninja 250 street fighter dreams
  8. Robert_C

Robert_C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been hanging out at http://forums.ninja250.org/ for years, I seldom post because I am just considering a ninja250. I do not have one.

That being said, it is not a welcoming board. I have a couple of questions; but, I have never asked them, and may never do so, because of the tone of the forum. Here at ADV people will laugh at you, then answer you, then laugh some more. At the 250 forum they will skip the answer part and the laughing isn't as good natured. It is more of the, "get out of our playground," kind of laughing.

The format is a mess because it is hard to follow threads. It is one thing to shun systems that offer form, or, "eye-candy," over function. However, the 250 forum sacrifices function in order to maintain its minimalist form.

Like I said, I do visit there a lot, mostly in hopes that someone else will be stupid enough to ask the questions that I have; of course, I predict that the answer will be, "read the FAQ." I have read it, all of it, and I still have the same questions.

I have found another 250 forum here http://www.ninja250forum.com/ . It was literally two days ago that I stumbeled across it so I can not say much about it.
  9. Lochlyn_Deckard

Oddometer:

Some people who frequent the board would probably say you are crazy. I don't think you are. There's sometimes a tone.

I think some of it comes down to some cranky admins who often admit to being grumpy. There are also so pretty tight groups there. If you aren't in one of them, I think the treatment is often "different." What's a bit odd about all of this is the fact that a 250 board is going to attract lots of newer riders who expectedly and annoyingly ask the same questions over and over. It's totally irritating, but I think maybe there should be a more forgiving attitude. But that's just my opinion.

Nonetheless, execllent site for info if you are willing to search. And I have met some very nice riders during two of ther annual NY rides that were actually both sponsered by a member of the 250 board as well as this board.

The newer 250 site is Scorch's site.
  10. Lochlyn_Deckard

Oddometer:

I freakin' dare ya! :lol3
  11. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    Be sure to start your first thread with "My name is duck and I am here at ninja250.org."

:lol3

Post the responses here so we can laugh at the cranky bastards. :evil
  12. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    I've got several hundred posts over at Ninja250.org, which was enough to convince me that the rumors are true: they are in fact all a bunch of arrogant assholes who would disable allowing members to register if they got half the chance.
    And the fact that they have decades of experience doesn't always mean they're right, either.
    Although it usually does.
  13. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no desire to meet or ride with anyone from .org. I would just use the tech information and read some of the ride reports (although most are lame). I'm not registered there and don't plan to. Hickman71 seems like a good enough guy and he rides a lot. He's also in my area. I follow his ride reports just to pick up on some good routes.
  14. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    I just signed up there.... once my ninja comes in (it's been 3 weeks:bluduh ) I'll start raising hell over there :D
  15. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna get a used one in the next couple of weeks. I can buy a new '07 for $2950 OTD but I'm still thinking a used one with ~500 miles is easy enough to find. I love the looks of the new ones but I think the "classic" ninja will fit my needs perfectly. That'll leave me enough money to deck out another dualsport too:clap
  16. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    :lol3 The more bikes the merrier!!
  17. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    yeah ninja250forum.com is the little site i built, its not as big as ninja250.org but just like the ninja 250, its got heart :D
  18. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    More heart and less assholes is a good thing :thumb
  19. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 As others have said it's an old forum but one of the best if not the best. It easy to navigate, doesn't have a bunch of graphics and other things to slow down your experience. I'm on dial-up at home, and have no problems navigating nor finding the info I need. I've also got the factory service manuals which help out a bit too.
    I hang out there quite often, I've asked questions, and answered some questions also. Its one of the reasons for the bike I ride. Otherwise I'd never have bought "such a small bike" as a Ninja 250, especially after riding my KZ400. As it turned out it wasn't really a downgrade at all. They were about the same hp, with the EX250 getting the nod for about 100 lbs lighter weight, water-cooled vs the KZ400's air-cooled, better mpg, much better parts availability, and cheaper insurance.
    Just my .02 worth, Tony
  20. sprale

sprale Tu ne cede malis...

Oddometer:
    I dig both the original Ninja250 forum with its FAQ as well as the new ninja250forum with its eye candy. They are both good, just different, and I use them both. I would have nothing against merging the utility of the old FAQ with the more modern site, though I am sure the screams from the die-hards would shatter glass! :)

Levon