Best Noob "Day Trip" Trail/Ride in So Cal? La Verne/Los Angeles

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rhino-1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I wonder what Clarke's Grade looks like
    jnyrav likes this.
  2. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially after TONS of riders at the Big Bear Run went up it last Saturday. And I do mean TONS, as in hundreds. All four routes used it.
  3. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did Clarke's Grade yesterday into Big Bear...apart from all the jeepers, really fun...
    It had some rain damage, some ruts and g outs... it was loose/sandy, enough to slide around corners. Quite a few rocks, embedded and loose, with some short rocky step ups. I wouldn't recommend a noob on an Adv bike...

The coolest thing was on the way back a BEAR jumped on the trail in front of me and ran ahead for a few seconds before breaking left and back into the wilderness....I never wanted to have a gopro more!
    SpongeRob, villageidiot, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been bogged down with work lately, but planning to get out for a ride tomorrow :ricky
    Need to make sure everything good for the Purelick ride in a few weeks, so probly on the small bike.
    Lytle Creek Chevron. Might shoot for 8am to beat the heat.

-M
  5. rider914

Oddometer:
    Got out for a nice ride today. Shorter on miles and longer on time than expected :augie

Started out solo , but spotted a familiar helmet and bike near the top of Applewhite :hmmmmm

Turned out to be local bud Mike @pvt joker :beer

My camera sucked it's last dust and this was the only good pic I got for the day :bluduh
    [​IMG]
    We continued on up to Wrightwood for brunch, where the chit-chat stretched all the way to lunch :bueller

Lots of cool bikes cruising thru town... such as an old Guzzi, an older Vincent, and a sweet RZ350 :tb

Also some cool friends stopping by to say hi @Ma Duce :wave

Time to head home, back down Lone Pine Cyn, out of the cool and into the heat :knary

Roosted over Sheep Creek where I scored a front pinch flat just before Lytle Creek :becca

Found some shady picnic bench in the rec area by the creek and wasted some more time swapping tubes :fpalm

Only about 70 miles on the clock but still a good day :thumb

-M
    Ma Duce, dunerat, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  6. rider914

Oddometer:
    On another note ...

While pulling pics from the camera today, I found a forgotten vid from a ride with Glen @r'elise me a couple weeks ago :hide

This was out at the end of Pinyon Ridge, overlooking Valyermo.

-M
    karter18 and villageidiot like this.
  7. rider914

Oddometer:
    On yet another note...

I've been slacking badly lately :fitz No more excuses :nono

Gotta get out for a quick ride-n-camp next weekend 7/27-28 :deal

Guffy Campground at the east end of Blue Ridge above Wrightwood.

FREE, first come first serve, adventure pass required (... though I have never ever seen a ranger or been checked).

If the mood suits, I just might zip up there friday night to secure a good spot.

Any and all bikes welcome. ~6 miles of easy dirt from Hwy2 to the campground.

:dukegirl and :beer in nearby Wrightwood.

-M
    headstaller and aanichols like this.
  8. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun and I should be around next weekend. :clap
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    There is also a great campground if you keep going down the main trail....WAY down in the hollow. Every time we've been there we have only ever seen one other person.

I don't recall the name....might be Lupine. Haven't been for AGES..but remember it was an easy road in....quite a ways. It would be a nice exploratory ride anyway. I recall its fairly steep.
  10. MojaveSidecar

MojaveSidecar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep Lupine is the campground at the end of the Blue Ridge Truck Trail.. for a while it was closed, not sure if the trial to Lupine is open yet. There are 3 campgrounds on the BRTT east of Highway 2 at Inspiration point, Blue Ridge, Guffy and Lupine. Guffy seems to be the nicest. If somebody is going to be camping Saturday night, I might be able to ride up on my GearUp later Saturday afternoon/early evening. Saturday 11AM-2PM our Wrightwood Home Owners group is putting on an Ice Cream Social for the village, so after that and clean up I might be able to sneak away.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Bring firewood
  12. rider914

Oddometer:
    @headstaller In case yer not paying attention :dirtdog

:deal :ear

Guffy has the best views :nod

The road down to Lupine is open, but I haven't gone down yet to check it out this year. Very rocky terrain at the bottom and the road often gets washed out and goes unrepaired. I remember riding all the way down to Cabin Flat a couple times, but that was way way back before they closed the road forever at Lupine.

Campground facilities (tables, vault toilets) were pretty shabby last time I was down there a year or so ago. Used to be really nice back before a fire (forget which one) wiped out that valley. Some trees have come back, but mostly brush / manzanita.

:dukegirl

-M
  13. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Friday afternoon/evening beer in town (Wrightwood) sounds doable
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    You know Cabin Flat was the place I was thinking of. Be an interesting ride down.
  15. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'm down to join a small group for a camping trip Saturday-Sunday. I'm from West L.A. but would love to escape the city for a night... @rider914 and @aanichols replied above sounded like they planned something?
  16. rider914

Oddometer:
    Hiya Dan :wave
    Haven't heard from Chu or Alan, so not sure if will be camping or not :dunno
    Either way, pretty sure I can make it up to Wrightwood friday eve :deal

Motor road was closed permanently at Lupine many years ago. Another ~2.5 miles to cabin flat.

Hi Shodan :wave
    You are more than welcome to join at Guffy :nod
    Nice ride for you across Hwy2 :ricky

-M
  17. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I was planning to camp Saturday night. Are you camping Friday and Saturday? If you are camping Friday night let me know what your plan is Saturday morning. If I can get motivated early enough I could head up to Guffy, set up camp and go for a ride.....which bike are you riding?
  18. Shodan2

Shodan2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think @rider912 was talking about Saturday night:
    [qoute]Gotta get out for a quick ride-n-camp next weekend 7/27-28 :deal[/qoute]

I was also aiming for Satruday afternoon through Sunday ride&camp... But heck, I can come out Friday night (tonight!) if that's the plan :-)
  19. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If outsiders are welcome I'll plan to swing by Saturday nite. Don't know the area at all so I'm looking for any suggestions on a good place to park a Sprinter van? I was thinking I'd park in Wrightwood and track you guys down from there.

Thanks

DSchmidt
  20. rider914

Oddometer:
    I believe Chu @headstaller will try to head up to Guffy this afternoon.
    I am gonna try to head up today as well if I can get out of work at a reasonable time.
    If so, straight to camp to throw down tent, then return to Wrightwood to find Dan @slidewayes for dinner.
    @aanichols - Probly a slow start saturday morning, so i'd think you can find us there Alan.
    Saturday ride across Hwy2 to Newcombs, explore some side roads (Mt Pacifico?), return to camp, ... :dunno

-M