Best Noob "Day Trip" Trail/Ride in So Cal? La Verne/Los Angeles

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rhino-1, Nov 19, 2010.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I've only done the ACH twice since I've lived here. First time was mid-week and it was amazing - compared to my Santa Monica Mountains backyard, the big fast sweepers were a nice change of pace. The next time was a Saturday afternoon and I felt for sure I was going to be taken out by some stunter bro on a clapped out and caged Ninja 636 wearing an Icon armored vest and with a neon green mowhawk on this helmet as he slid across on the double yellow into my lane. Above Newks it was no problem, but below it's like a portal into Mad Max Fury Road or something.

To be fair, I typically stay away from the SM Mountains on weekens as well, if I can help it.
    Bullseye likes this.
  2. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    The cars were F’d up pretty badly but the people will be fine thanks to lots of airbags. Driver of a subcompact attempted to cross over opposing lane to enter a lookout. Two young drivers in modified 3 series BMWs were coming around the nearest corner in the opposite direction only to find the subcompact crossing their lane. The leading BMW hit the subcompact in the front passenger side corner creating a sub subcompact. Both male drivers were able to walk away from their cars but in lots of pain. Female passenger of subcompact was hurt the worst. She was trapped in her car, but not due to physical damage to the car. She likely had some broken ribs from the airbags and was unable to move due to pain. No blood. Everyone was responsive. Tons of airbags deployed in the BMW but unfortunately it looked like the subcompact only had fronts. These most likely prevented serious injury or death but the passenger would definitely have fared better with side airbags. The couple in the subcompact also had two chiweenie puppies who were fine and in good spirits. After assessing the situation as not too serious, I opted to wait for Joel to get back before using my SOS as the Chilao response team would have been less than a mile away. Just then we began to hear sirens coming from both directions.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  3. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    While at Newcombs, just before the woman rider alerted us to the accident, another woman rider was telling her story of how recently she and her bike had been hit by a car that lost control while doing donuts in one of the turnouts up there.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    They're among. Stay alert.
    BrockEvan likes this.
  5. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    I've stayed away from and will continue to stay away from there. I seem to hear more bad stories than good stories from that area. I used to ride with an ex moto cop that used to patrol that area. Whenever that area was brought up as a potential day ride, he always said "hell no", and constantly told our group to just stay away. (He of course would tell various horror stories about that place occasionally which really made the ride home a bit.... well exhilarating to say the least)

It's sad really, I'd love to ride up there and be in trees once in a while, but just not worth the risk to me personally. I used to ride the Santa Monica Mtns in the earlier morning hours to avoid all the squids, was always great and within 20 mins for me. But after constantly being on edge and worrying about oncoming traffic in my lane, or a bike sliding through me at every blind turn I finally just gave up on that place too.

I'm content with seeing the pictures. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous though, it looks like you guys had a great time.

I'll hold out for the dirt focused rides. :*sip*
    Davethestick and Bullseye like this.
  6. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Hopefully Matt got some pictures of his and Todd’s riding yesterday. Here are a couple that I got.

Joel-NSFW
    84A7BBBC-B201-4A8A-954D-B135F3320C51.jpeg

Matt-rider914 and Todd-bigtodd
    FC2ACB19-10E5-40A2-8D2D-D8F81DE40272.jpeg

Matt
    6A6DDB9E-C4BD-451B-A3D1-2BF8D0B1FE37.jpeg A3869E50-BF65-4415-8C1C-4CA78AD521E4.jpeg

Joel
    AAFF0E57-93C0-4577-B1EB-5EF60C039044.jpeg AB3D366E-38DE-4219-BE0F-AF6B4212C07D.jpeg
    Bullseye, NSFW and isaac004 like this.
  7. isaac004

isaac004 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exact same thing happened to me...oncoming rider low sided and slid right in front of me (I was in a sweeping left handed). His buddy was following and target fixated and thus rode right across the double yellow as well....I ended up threading the needle between a sliding and an upright rider. When I stopped they were all positively excited about the downed rider popping his crash cherry. That was fucked up for sure.

Weekdays and nights are way safer then any weekend (or weekday commuting hours from La Canada to AFH turnoff at Clear Creek).
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  8. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Great seeing you guys, been too long
  9. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Matt took me out to a great look out I’d never been too ...

[​IMG]
  10. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Yep, 2 of my best friends were killed on ACH & mulholland hwy within a month of each other in 2018. F'n wanna b racers showing off just like street racer cars. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Danny :wave
    Sorry we missed you, though we did run into early-riser Alan in Wrightwood ~930am, already heading home from his loop :pynd

Great weather, great riding, great people :nod Thanks to all who came out to play :clap
    Glad nobody got mixed up in any of the carnage on the crest :yikes

Indeed I did :deal

Intersection 4N12 and 4N56
    [​IMG]

West end of Pinyon Ridge
    [​IMG]

Looking towards Palmdale
    [​IMG]

Meet-up in Wrightwood
    [​IMG]

Lunchtime at the brewery
    [​IMG]

:dukegirl
    [​IMG]

I convinced Joel and Eric they needed to try Blue Ridge after lunch
    [​IMG]

Rode out to Guffy (which was packed :eekers), then headed back
    [​IMG]

:ricky
    [​IMG]

Stopped at Blue Ridge CG for an extended socially distant chit-chat
    [​IMG]

Then out to Hwy2 and head our separate ways home :wave
    [​IMG]

:beer
    -M
    NSFW, Bullseye, catfish and 6 others like this.
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks Matt and Biggie for posting your pics....and i noticed a lot of me....:clap

a little detour on the way to Wrightwood
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lean Biggie lean.....:pynd
    [​IMG]

bigtodd and Biggie for size comparison
    [​IMG]

we easily snagged an empty table at the brewery and good it wasn't crowded.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my ex neighbor and now a Wrightwood resident
    [​IMG]

13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    after lunch, bigtodd rode home, while Matt, Biggie and i decided to play a little bit
    [​IMG]

could not be mistaken for me since Matt and i still wear the same silver Arai XD3 from the 90's...besides that bike can make more dust than mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it inspires me to see an old man hiking this road as well as motivates me that there are plenty of beautiful sights
    [​IMG]

Matt patiently waiting for us, which is a common occurrence
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BiggieFalls likes this.
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    in spite of having street tires, that GSA proved them they're capable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

literally waiting at the fork
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it could be avoided but........thanks Matt.......:dirtdog
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

back on the crest
    [​IMG]

15. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you take a right to the radio tower ? Nice view and shade up there.
  16. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    I like the short shorts
    NSFW likes this.
  17. rider914

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel for posting your pics....and I noticed a lot of me too.... :norton

-M
    villageidiot, BiggieFalls and NSFW like this.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i have to google that and for sure next time i will
    upload_2020-8-31_14-0-6.png

having the GoPro set at time-lapse photo made taking pictures so easy and lots of them.

hey guys! this weekend it will be 103 - 108F here in the house and i'm thinking of going back there at Blue Ridge to camp starting this Friday AM to Monday AM. any takers?
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    full ride report here and hope to see more people on the next ride!
  20. rider914

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel -
    Probly can't get out for an overnite, but for sure could join in for one of the days :deal

Expect both Blue Ridge CG and Guffy CG will fill up quickly on the holiday weekend.
    Hopefully friday AM will be early enough to secure a spot.

-M
    villageidiot likes this.