Best NW Mexico Map for 2610

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Capotourer, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Capotourer

Capotourer CapoNoMore

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Is there an accurate map that is available for the 2610. I hear so many stories that some only work so so and some are a total waste of money.
    Can a Mexico map be downloaded for free? Heading to Copper canyon next week Via Florida, via Texas via Mexico. Or should I just use a new 2008 updated paper map? Advise appreciated.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  2. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    I don't know if there is a Mexico map specifically for the 2610.

The best GPS map I know of for Mexico is the Mexico GPS Atlas by Bicimaps.

I've been using the bicimap on my Zumo for my rides into northeast Mexico and have found it to be reasonably accurate.

I haven't used it in northwest Mexico / Copper Canyon so I don't know how accurate that part of it is.
  3. Ozz

Ozz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Mexico GPS Atlas 2008 v 3.11 on my Zumo 550. The map is pretty accurate. It has all the mayor highways, secondary roads, toll highways and mayor dirt roads. It also includes streets for most of the important cities. I find it very useful and worth having.

It does have auto routing, but the autorouting function is not reliable at all. I would not use this function.

I know this map is compatible with a lot of Garmin models, but I'm not 100% sure about your model. Go to their web page, they have a list there; and if it is not listed, e-mail or call them and they will confirm compatibility. Good people there. They've helped me several times.

Hope this helps.
  4. GSABest

GSABest El Aventurero

Oddometer:
    I'm using the 2008 version which I uploaded to my 2820 before the start of my trip on Nov 13th. It has been mostly accurate. On a few occasions it would show me off the highway - which clearly i WAS on - withinin a few hundred metres or a few kilometres (one time only) I would be "back on the road". I just received an email from them that they just released the 2009 version with many updates. Definitely worth checking out.

www.bicimapas.com.mx

If I'm not mistaken...

Marc

Excerpt from email:

<o:p></o:p>
    Dear Customer,<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    We introduce the 2009 edition of our Mexico GPS Atlas map. Improved, amplified and with a larger coverage than ever before. This new release could be considered one of the largest we have made so far since the initial release. <o:p></o:p>
    The major new features are as follows:<o:p></o:p>
    - We grow from 258 to 2168 cities with routing information. This is an 840% more cities than in version 3.2. <o:p></o:p>
    - We add the capability to do full street search, including house number, in selected areas. In this release it is available in the downtown area of Mexico City (Miguel Hidalgo, Cuajimalpa, Cuauhtemoc and Benito Juarez sectors), Naucalpan in State of Mexico, Ajijic and Chapala in Jalisco, Palenque in Chiapas, Empalme in Sonora, Valladolid in Yucatán and Ciudad Canatlan in Durango. This feature will soon be available in other cities such as Monterrey, Guadalajara and San Luis Potosí among others.<o:p></o:p>
    - We add over 2000 points of interest in major cities such as Mexico City and the neighboring suburbs in the State of Mexico, Guadalajara, Monterrey and some other minor locations. With this addition we confirm that we provide more POI information than any other competing product.<o:p></o:p>
    - Added 20 meter contours in selected areas where outdoor activity is high and demands a good relief representation. They show at low zoom levels to prevent screen clutter.<o:p></o:p>
    Besides this new map features, we are also making changes in our webpage to increase our customer support and service. Among the changes we:<o:p></o:p>
    - Added a feedback form so that users may provide us with their comments and improvement suggestions<o:p></o:p>
    - Easier access to the Guidelines where we explain features such as address search.<o:p></o:p>
    - Installation Instructions in a single language so that it is easier to follow them. We are adding instructions on how to use the preloaded cards as well. <o:p></o:p>
    And of course, all updates during the 2009 model year are for free to registered users.