Best of the Mojave Rides Winter/ Spring 2018

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mojave Mutt, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    For all the great folks that have dared to ride more than once with one of the top 3 despised and ignored So Cal region riders you already know this is the place to be.

For anyone else that loves small bike rides and not afraid to take on what our beautiful desert has to offer stop on in.

I turn nervous noobs into real riders right quick!

Merry Christmas everyone!
    dino702, AZ TOM, breakdirt916 and 3 others like this.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas Glenn... and may the dust be with you.

will get out there and ride w/ you after the holidays.
    HBSURFDAD and Mojave Mutt like this.
  3. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    See you out here!
  4. HBSURFDAD

HBSURFDAD Oops, Sorry Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to be real rider, I have tried being all I can be, and it isn't that fast!
    pratered likes this.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Ho ho ho, hope you have some more great rides coming up. :ear Be great to ride with you again. Was I a nervous noob? :confused
  6. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love to come out on one of your camp outs and rides, but I’m definitely not very quick.
    Mojave Mutt likes this.
  7. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Happy Holidays, Mojave Claus. I need a desert fix for xmas.
  8. Balancer

Balancer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas Glenn! Hope to see you for a Mojave Preserve Ride soon.(hint, hint) And thank you for always waiting for me.
  9. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes please join in again! Nervous NooB? I thought I was slowing you down all weekend...
  11. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:

U too Terry. Come on down, I'm doing a couple rides between the 27th and NYD. Just haven't picked the days yet.
  12. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please try to do a Mojave Preserve ride with us this year Sue. Was impressed by your NBDR adventures, you'll have no problem with anything I throw at you at MNP.
    I usually do 3-4 trips out there between January and June. Many people don't know that MNP has over 1500 miles of legal dirt routes. Most people think of the Mojave Road as the big time ride destination through the preserve but it's actually the most beat up crap out there.
    Keep watching this thread.
    Little Bike likes this.
  13. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:

Lets go! I need to get out there with my wife in the truck and scout out a couple of warmer , lower elevation prospective camp sites I've been eyeballing on google earth.

My two usual camp locations at the preserve are near 5000' elevation and can be a bit chilly for a tent camper like me in January and February.

Keep an eye on this thread Marty, tell Mike to come too.
  14. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be hanging out in your neck of the woods starting tomorrow visiting my sons, grandsons, other family and friends. Open for riding 12/27 to NYD.
    breakdirt916 and HBSURFDAD like this.
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Glenn does have some epic areas to ride in his back yard. Will be looking to join a ride mid Jan when back from Hong Kong.

What happened to your invites of "come out for a ride, don't be afraid, I'm just an old grandpa"? I remember falling for that one several years ago.
    RAZR and Mojave Mutt like this.
  16. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That only worked once for a lot of people. Then they looked for a new grandpa ha ha.
  17. Desert Bound

Desert Bound n00b

Oddometer:
    I was just checking the forecast yesterday for the NY Mountains, Providence Mountains, etc., this coming week--overnight lows in the low 20s!

I go out there every year between Christmas and NYD, but not on a bike. Not yet...but soon!
  18. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    which time?
  19. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do want to let you guys know that I'll be doing my sort of annual Caliente Nevada ride in mid April. Camping is available at a nice state campground, or in town less than two miles from camp. Caliente has a half dozen nice ,clean, very reasonable on the budget motels. One place is even a hot springs type little resort that's had a few upgrades recently. Caliente Nevada is in Lincoln County, 170 miles north of Las Vegas. Lincoln County is very tourist friendly and has many wonderful outdoor recreational opportunities.

Caliente has been home to the Best in the Desert Nevada Trail ride for over 30 years organized by Casey Folks and Scot Harden. This is an iconic off road gathering for the guys that love to ride mostly small trails and single track. Caliente, nearby Panaca and Pioche, as well out a little further in the boonies is home to the legendary Pearson family. A bunch of cowboys that excelled at NHHA, Baja, ISDE. These guys cut there teeth riding in Lincoln County.

I think the rides I put together up there are just as good as the Best in the Desert event. My routes are a bit different because they are dual sport type rides that will have a lot of single track and washes along the way. The varied trail riding and scenery in the area is mind blowing but I have to warn that you will be riding a lot of sandy trails in the Pinyon/Juniper forests. You just have to give it some gas and go with it.

My routine is to get there Thursday and ride all day Friday thru Sunday, home Monday. Ride open to a smallish group of peeps that like trail riding on small bikes. Pace wont be fast but if you consider yourself a slow rider this ride isn't for you. That being said, slower guys are welcome and I'll draw you up some nice tracks with less single track and sand than the main route.
  20. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes its chilly at those spots, heck it was in the 20's last night here in Apple Valley. I like to hit the preserve starting near the end of winter when the days are longer too. I am going to try camping at indian springs off kelbaker rd in January if the weather isn't too cold. The spot I'm looking at is only at 2000 ft. I always camp near 5000 ft when there in a little friendlier weather.

Do you go off roading out there in a jeep or truck? I'm down for that too.