Best of the Mojave Rides Winter/ Spring 2018

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mojave Mutt, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    catfish likes this.
  2. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:

I know tons of the single track all over the area too but not just focusing on that. Probably throw in one all trail day. I have friends going that don't want to do that all day every day.

I have complete GPS tracks of two NHHA courses starting and finishing in Caliente. Plus there's a million other trails, just have to keep an eye out for them.

Just to let folks know, you will be riding sand and gravel!!!!!
    dunerat and dino702 like this.
  3. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Don't have to there is lots of two track that transfers to single track that transfers back to mining roads and so on. That's the beauty of the area, ride as much or as little of any one terrain as you want. Twisty trees, ranch roads, long flowing washes and don't forget you can ride Clover Creek that goes right through town. Water level should be perfect.
    dunerat, RAZR and Mojave Mutt like this.
  4. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
  5. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    So moving on for a bit, I'm riding Saturday, local hills.
    dunerat likes this.
  6. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    Heading to the zoo truckheaven tonite ...ride safe
    Mojave Mutt likes this.
  7. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that for jeep event?
  8. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    No that's the following week in march,meeting some 4x4 friends,I'll ride solo abit before they arrive
  9. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou Offline Supporter

Oddometer:
    Caliente sounds great but I can't make it that weekend unfortunately. I'd be up for a local ride this Sunday if there's a plan out there. DR650 here.
  10. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get those GPS tracks. Can you email them to me? I'll PM you my email. :deal
  11. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me and some other retired guys will be roosting wet dirt this morning south of my house. The desert didn't get much rain but the foothills got a ton as well as light snow.
    Balancer, dunerat and catfish like this.
  12. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really fun ride today but the dirt is drying fast.

Camping near I-15 and Cima Rd.,at Mojave Preserve next week to do some riding and spectate Mint 400 near Lucy Gray Mountain east of Primm Nevada. Arriving Friday 3/9, outta there on Monday 3/12.

Friday afternoon will feature a 50 mile round trip ride to some historic mining and cabin sites.

The Mint 400 is a huge off road race with sixty, 800 HP Trophy Trucks entered plus all the other classes. Unlimited race starts at 1 pm Saturday so the third and final lap will be in the dark. Saturday the 10th will be a ride from camp to a remote race spectating spot on the south end of the race course, 10 miles north east of Nipton. The ride will be about 110 miles round trip from camp.

Sunday ride is camp to Cedar Canyon, New York Mountains, Hole in the Wall, Wild Horse Canyon, then Cima Rd back to camp.

I think this will be a great ride weekend with epic desert scenery and fun roads in Mojave Preserve and to mix it up one day is checking out an iconic truck and car desert race.
    I'm going to call this a small bike ride due to sand sections but 690 type bikes will have no problem with a good off road rider aboard. All the riding will be on dirt roads, two track, and a little pavement. There is zero single track, and no technical trail riding. Cross country off legal roads is prohibited.

This ride isn't for noobs. Camp site will be dry camping with no amenities. I'll choose a campsite based on who wants to go and what the group requires.
  13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Camping in the Lucy Grays? There are tent cabins behind the old Nipton Hotel with wood burning stoves FYI for a nominal fee of course but they look comfy.
  14. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    No not camping in lucy grays, just going to be out that way most of Saturday checking out race action then heading back to camp. Planning on camping near Cima Rd. and Morning Star Rd. This way I have an easy somewhat direct route down to Nipton and over to the race course on Saturday plus I'm in a good camp spot for riding a lot of the fun preserve areas Friday and Sunday.

I've actually stayed in the eco cabins at Nipton. They're pretty cool but a lot of train noise there.
  15. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is interested please let me know so I can select an easy to get to campsite that will work for the group. Camp will be off Cima Rd, 7 to 10 miles south of I-15. Only one spot has room for RV's and its a couple hundred feet off paved Cima Rd. If no reason to worry about rv's there are more easy to get to options a little further away from the paved road.
  16. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Can you find a spot that isn't 500 miles away?
  17. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm working on it, but yard sales get in the way.

Do you know if the mountains between Tonopah and Austin are getting a lot of snow this year? Whens the last time you camped at Middlegate?
  18. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't want you to miss out on a good yard sale opportunity.

No first hand info on snow conditions out that way. They tend to get what we get moving east across the Sierras. So probably below average snowpack so far. But the pattern has been for more snow lately, with biggest storm of the year moving through now. Next 60 days will determine. I like the valleys as much as the next guy. But for our kind of riding, the area is not nearly as much fun with the high country being impassable due to snow or mud. Some great riding with nice long loops available....when you can get across the mountains. Fall is best bet..

I typically hit Middlegate a couple times a year with different groups that allow me to tag along. Lot of guys like the convenience of free camping, bar and cafe. I like supporting them too. But for me, the best riding is primarily east of there. So a basecamp east of there is something else to consider--maybe Carroll Summit
  19. Mojave Mutt

Mojave Mutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok got it. I’ll have to see where Carroll Summit is on the map. Maybe be I rode there when I rode from Middlegate to Austin.

I like the convinence of the bar and food too.
    All the meals ive had at Middlgate we’re pretty good.

How far from you is Carroll Summit?
  20. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    153 miles. But I can take the long way so I am not getting off easy.....