Best Pavement & Camping?? - Baltimore to Michaux

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by SuperChuck, Oct 12, 2018.

1. SuperChuck

SuperChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dear inmates,

I am planning a one night weekend moto camping trip with 2 of my buddies. We live in Baltimore and we plan on burning up to the Gettysburg / Michaux / Shippensburg area, camping somewhere up there, then heading back the next day. One of my buddies has a really new, really big, really shiny Harley so it looks like we're relegated to tarmac on this trip.

Before I go building a GPX route, what are some of your favorite roads to ride in that area, and any good ones we shouldn't miss on our way up from bmore? Pavement only please :(

Also, any good, secluded campsites? We're all 3 backpackers and considered hiking into Michaux to primitive camp, but it would be nice if we could have our bikes parked where we sleep.

Many thanks!
    Chuck
  2. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cold Springs road out of G-Burg and then 233 into Michaux.

As far as camping, Caledonia State Park (just south of Michax) has sites.
  3. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Very cool, thanks!

Looks like 233 runs north the length of the forest. Straight but scenic.

Searching online for camping at Caledonia, I also found that there are some areas where 'motorized primitive' camping is allowed within Michaux, but they don't give specific locations.

More road and camping suggestions always welcome,

Thanks!
    Chuck
    ejm4 likes this.
  4. Dynamick

Dynamick Not Available in Stores Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Dynamick

Oddometer:
  6. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Excellent, I will give it a read-through! Looks like you guys hit some tasty dirt which I'll need to avoid, but seems to be a good place to start!

I'll post on here with the other recommendations I've been given once I decide on a GPX route. For the history books that is...

Cheers,
    Chuck
  7. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you guys are on the west side of Baltimore.

If you want to make a loop you could leave Baltimore and head towards Darlington, cross the river at the Conowingo dam (Rt 1), take that to 222 in PA and the onto 272, make a left on River Rd a little north of the 222/272 split. Follow River Rd up to Columbia (eventually it turns into 441). From Columbia you could go west towards York on Rt. 30 or 462. On the west side of York hop on 234 and it will take you into Michaux. Should be about 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours of riding from the center of Baltimore.

Or you could come up the west side of the Susquehanna starting again in Darlington. Go north on 623 (Flintville Rd) to Papermill Rd. Take that to Rt 74 then to 425. Take 425 to 624 up to Wrightsville. From there you can catch 30 or 462 to York and follow 234 into Michaux. Probably 3 to 3 1/2 hours of riding to Michaux on this route from center of Baltimore.

Both of the routes are mainly 2 lane roads with twist, turns and elevation changes. The most boring part will be the 462 and 30 section between Columbia and the west side of York. Your Harley buddy could visit the HD dealer in Darlington and go past the plant in York (don't know if they still do tours there or not, I know they took a lot of the old bikes back out to Milwaukee).

Have fun!
  8. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    This is great, thanks very much for the advice! Me and one other are in the city, and the third guy lives just south. These routes are great though... I've only ridden up near Darlington a few times and it's some great riding up that way. I'm not against taking most of the day to get out to our destination either... Add in some stops for coffee, food, etc, and we've got ourselves a trip! Could even find some roundabout way to avoid 30, etc.
  9. murdock84

Oddometer:
    Those are the routes we normally take from the Columbia area down to Havre de Grace when we are down for the decoy festival, or for a lunch run. We usually go down one side and come up the other. I try not to take the same way both down and back. The best parts are going to be between Columbia and the 222/272 split on the east side of the river. The west side will be best between Wrightsville and Airville. There are ways north of Rt. 30 to avoid it, but nothing that directly parallels it besides 462. I would rather just do the traffic lights on 30 than the ones on 462 if you go that way. It's not that bad unless your in them after 3PM, then it is slower going until probably 630 or 7.
  10. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Excellent, great insight. Yeah we'll be doing this ride on a Saturday late morning/afternoon, then returning on a Sunday. Good point about making a loop... That'll keep things fresh.

I'll have to get confirmation from the other guys as to how many miles they want to do. I'd ride all day, but air temps may play into that as well.

Looking forward to building up this GPX track. Probably will dig into it next week at some point.

Cheers,
    Chuck
  11. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    Thought this might be of interest.
    I'm on Velocity Cycles' email list.

[​IMG]

Join us on Saturday, October 27th for a Dual Sport Ride through the Michaux Forrest. This will be a great opportunity to try Dual Sport/Adventure riding. It is mostly paved and unpaved roads. All rider levels welcome.

Leaves Velocity Cycles 11am. Come in early to check out the new BMW F750 and F850GS's.

For more details call Brandon at 717-766-2523 or text 717-562-3448

Velocity Cycles
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    http://www.velocitycycle.net/
    SuperChuck and Chrismcp12 like this.
  12. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    ^^^ That ride was canceled due to the rain but here is the make-up ride info.

"Dual Sport ride Nov 3rd ****

Join us on Saturday, November 3rd for a nice and relaxing Dual Sport Ride through the Michaux Forrest. This will be a great opportunity to try Dual Sport/Adventure riding. It is mostly paved and unpaved roads. All rider levels welcome. "
  13. murdock84

Oddometer:
    If you got the rain over there like we did on the west side of Lancaster County, you should not have a dust particle fly at anytime during your ride Saturday.
  14. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Dynamick, did you make the Saturday ride? I didn't try for it since I'm heading up that way next weekend anyway. Looks like an awesome event though!
  15. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Gonna be a cold one tomorrow.... Trip is still on. Planning to take photos with hopes of making a ride report.

Fingers crossed.
    Dynamick likes this.
  16. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    Sorry, didn't see this. I didn't make that ride. I usually work Saturdays. Have fun tomorrow!
  17. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry for this late post but I found this article in the Carlisle Sentinel while I started a wood fire last night. It was in the 10/5/14 paper titled Town & Country Motorcycle Ramble.

Town and country Ramble.jpeg
  18. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Very cool, and thanks for sharing!

Here's a synopsis of our trip, or at least what we were able to do...

Weather was calling for around 40 degrees and windy during the day, so we decided on a shorter, more direct route (80ish mi) to the Michaux area, and I built an additional 50ish mile loop if we felt ambitious and not freezing once we got to camp. We reserved a site at Owens Creek Campground, and it was their closing weekend... figured that way we could sleep near our bikes, and they had fire rings and sold cord wood so we could have a blazing fire to keep warm with the (perhaps below 30 degree) night. We were going to stop for steaks, IPA's ad whiskey just before camp. It would have been cold, but would have been great. I say would have...

I've attached to this email the GPS tracks we used (or would have used). I'll get to that in a second.

First, here's a photo of all my gear laid out on the floor, then a photo of it crammed into cheapo bicycle panniers, and then strapped on the back of my bike. A photo of my Enfield, a buddy's Harley, and a buddy's KLR650 before departure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we departed Baltimore at the crack of eleven, took a meandering way up through the city via Fallsway and Falls Road, then jutted west from there. It was a beautiful day out, but super super windy, thus why we avoided I-83. It was slow going through the city, but out in the county it really opened up, and as we braved the wind we were greeted by fantastic autumnal views of horse farms and wooded hillsides. We took our time since there were leaves on the twisties, and we were in no hurry. It seemed an ideal day to ride, save the wind and cold, but that's what made it more of an adventure. Things were looking up.

Unfortunately about an hour later, one of my buddies (on the KLR) fell off his bike and bonked his head on the road. We don't really know what happened since he was behind us, but we noticed a minute later that he wasn't following anymore so we turned back. It was a fairly straightforward piece of road, wasn't wet, and we couldn't have been going more than 20 mph at this point. Nevertheless, something happened and my buddy fell, and seemed like he had a concussion. A passerby in a minivan saw him just before we got there and called 911. The medics came, he was still pretty dazed, so they took him to the nearest hospital. Turns out it was a little more than a concussion, and although he's recovering splendidly, he has been in the hospital since saturday. I didn't want to post this until we were sure things were moving in the right direction, but luckily he's doing well. I was there last night with him and he was still pretty beat, but was cracking jokes and back to his old self (just still healing).

So we had an exciting adventure, but it wasn't exactly what we had planned. Mostly we're just glad that our friend is healing well and should be 100% soon.

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions on this thread and others, and I found my new favorite website, and it's called https://kurviger.de/en That's how I built these tracks, and you can filter for dirt or pavement (cause of harley guy) and you can customize the route much easier than if you used Google MyMaps (which is how I used to build GPX tracks).

Cheers folks, ride safe, and bundle up! Hoping for a redemption trip with these boys in the spring!

Attached Files:

19. Dynamick

Oddometer:
    That is NOT the ride report I was hoping for. Glad it was not worse and your friend is on the mend.
  20. SuperChuck

Oddometer:
    Exactly, it was quite an adventure but not what we had planned (and not in a good way). Such is life though, and here's to more riding camping and who cares if it's a wintery mix in Maryland today haha.
    Dynamick likes this.