Best place for halibut in Valdez?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by djroszina, Mar 6, 2018.

1. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering the best place for halibut dinner in Valdez. This will be my first time in that particular city, thanks.
  2. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just about any place. It's pretty difficult to get a bad halibut dinner. While we used to recommend Mike's Palace, across from the boat harbor, now that it's under new ownership it has been getting some negative reviews so you might want to avoid that place. Otherwise, you're pretty safe at any restaurant.

You don't have to wait until you get to Valdez, either. About the first stop most riders make once they reach Alaska - Fast Eddy's restaurant in Tok - serves pretty good halibut, as well as anything else on their menu.
  3. djroszina

Oddometer:
    Thankyou, I've had halibut all over the state, but would like a nice dinner hopefully overlooking the ocean, and since I was never to Valdez I figured I would ask. Here is a picute from my 2016 trip when I was in Homer, 2 small ones, but tasty...I just don't want to work as hard next time. IMG_0900.JPG
  4. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of choices. There is the Halibut house but that’s fast food or more correctly Valdez’s version of fast food.
    Fat Mermaid usually has decent food, might try them. 835-3000
    The Best Western has a restaurant next to it called the wheelhouse, they have halibut. Their number is 835-9111
    Mike’s palace, as mentioned by Alcan rider, is not too impressive.
    Old town burgers use to have decent seafood, not sure now as it changed hand but still best burger in Valdez.
    djroszina likes this.
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Are those halibut seeds?

I've eaten several times at the VDZ Best Western. Better than I expected each time and I like the view of the harbor from there.
    djroszina likes this.
  6. djroszina

Oddometer:
    That is a story all in itself. I booked a trophy charter the day before and we had to come back in due to mechanical failure and I was bummed. The only thing else was a meat boat large group...17 people vs 6 the day before...the seas were rockin and rollin, the wind and occasional rain was miserable at times, several people wouldn't leave the cabin except to puke, and this was all that was biting in the area. Due to conditions we came in early on this trip too, so for all that, these "seeds" were at least for me a nice accomplishment.
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I hear you, brother. I just got skunked last weekend at the fishing derby on Kachemak Bay in Homer. Something like 1200+ anglers, 380 boats, and @ 170 salmon caught. Bust!