Best place to cross the border from Montana to Alberta?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by stupidfatkid, Nov 7, 2006.

1. stupidfatkid

stupidfatkid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning a trip from Kansas City to Calgary via Denver. Wondering where the best place to cross the boarder from Montana into Alberta is? Looks like US Hwy 15 at Sweetgrass, MT, is a no brainer, but I was hoping there might be a more scenic crossing closer to Glacier National Park. :evil
  2. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    Big Chief is THE crossing, but it's closed for the winter. Babb/Cardston is the next closest, straight up from St. Mary's (right at Glacier)
  3. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    I went N on an interstate to Calgary.
    I came S from Lake Louise to St Marys,I had though it would have been the interstate,but it ended up being very close to Glacier NP.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't there a crossing just south of Milk River, Alberta? I used to go duck hunting out there. Once the truck broke down, and we had to hike to a border crossing to phone for a buddy in Lethbridge. Friggin' cold in late November!!
    Ciao, Steve
  5. darrel632

darrel632 Stuck in Iraq, 400 years ago.

Oddometer:
    4 crossings
    Sweetgrass Coutts major highway and the hang-ups and waits are indicative of such

Most beautiful Chief Mountain crossing 7AM to 11PM and its closed now for winter.

Caraway / Roosville is the worst crossing of all --rude, nasty border police on both sides LOOOONG hang-ups nasty place to cross period,
    You could go east to the cyprus hills and come up through Havre N.D. to Havre Sask. and into Alberta

Wildhorse -never used it its open all year around daylight hours (7Am to 11:00 PM
    Del Bonita Summer only same as Chief Mtn
  6. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor, go the extra miles and go to Roosville! (which actually takes you into BC) it really is worth the extra 4 or so hours. highway 93 is what you want to look for. This route gives the the options of Going to the Sun. Besides Higway 37 (via Libby Mt) and it's twin on the west side of Koocanusa are some of my fav. motocycling roads.
  7. Gadjet

Gadjet Gadget Freak

Oddometer:
    When I went to Mexico at the beginning of September, I crossed at Coutts/Sweetgrass going both ways. Very little wait time and no hassles whatsoever, even given that I didn't have a passport, just my driver's license and birth certificate.
  8. stupidfatkid

stupidfatkid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thanks for all the info, it's very helpful. I'll definitely look into the Roosville crossing too. Can't wait until next July. I've been to Canada several times SCUBA diving, but this will be the first motorcycle trip. :super
  9. Mulierider

Mulierider Mulierider

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder that you'll need a passport next year to cross back and forth.:deal
  10. kdub

kdub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Havre is in Montana not ND. - Go Blueponies!
    The ride up the east side of Glacier is very pretty.