Best Place to Retire (Thats not B.C.)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pelvis_98, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your childish name calling has given me one more chance to respond.
    When deciding on a retirement place, should one also consider the economic stability of the location? Don't ya think? When resources needed to support a medical system during one's "fragile years" are rather important, it should be a more important requirement than how many gravel roads are available to ride. An "opinion" does not pay the bills. Solid funding and financial prudence from a regional government very much do. I think this point I've been trying to make, is quite seriously important in a conversation about retirement locations.
    I'll give you lads your sand box back now. Choose to ignore extremely serious info at your peril.
    sharps5090 likes this.
  2. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the above.

Anyone considered moving overseas? Where and why?

I've been thinking about Spain. Reasonably priced health insurance, good hospitals. Real estate is really cheap, amazing roads and plenty of them further north and east. Cheap food and wine, culture, history, architecture, climate ect ect.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not sure many Canadians actually retire over seas but more as a retirement destination for a few months a year.
    i spent a couple months there and the culture difference would be too much. Retirement... too far too see the kids and grand kids if they're still back here.
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    One would have to research if CPP and OAS payments would continue. GIS has a limit on time outside Canada.
  5. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CPP and OAS payments, GIS :huh Sorry not up with it.

Australian govt. has blocked pension payments to those living out of the country, just another nice little shot in the back from our wonderful govt. Pay tax all your life and you can only spend your money here! :huh

No kids ect, self funded retirement, so no issue there. I thought half the time in Spain and half in Mexico might be a winner, roughly half way south or north on either continent? Passing through Oz every couple of years just to keep the passport valid, till I get too rickety to stay upright :D
  6. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    I am amazed at how fast a discussion can go sideways on ADV. I won't join in on this one (although i am tempted to) other than to say that as Canadians it appears that we have lost the ability to debate any issues without resorting to labelling and framing a person whose opinion may differs from ours.

It is fine to disagree but name calling, labelling, and framing a persons opinion accomplishes nothing.

So lets get back to the debate or commentary on the BEST place to retire in a constructive way and respect others point of view.

I would like to thank one inmate for the link on taxes paid in the different provinces. Although NS rates poorly I have to admit that I can also view it from a different angle. is the province nice enough to live in for a few thousand dollars more than say BC or Albertans pay. I personally can live with this extra cost.

YK
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    CPP Canada Pension Plan
    OAS Old Age Security
    GIS Guaranteed Income Supplement (a bit of a topup if the above two don't add up to much and no other pension income is coming in)

Cheers
  8. canadian chris

canadian chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    imo it's an internet aberration, not a nationality one:

the 8 most obnoxious internet commenters

having said that, it's only BC residents who keep trolling this thread with insecure, passive-aggressive variations of "zomg the rest of Canada sux!! I'm wearing bermuda shorts and crocs!! lolz suckers!!".

What's ironic about their strident claims, is that

(a) most have never lived anywhere else in Canada, and
    (b) fully 3/5s of BC regularly experiences the same cold, snowy, winter weather as the rest of the country.
  9. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve, he can't help himself .... he's a Newfie ! :rofl

as for poor mis-guided Stephanie .... she will have a lifetime of higher taxes to pay if she's lucky .... if not then total economic collapse :cry

ps: check out pages 106-107 in the recent BC budget, useful comparisons by province:

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2015/bfp/2015_Budget_and_Fiscal_Plan.pdf
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    And you, sir/madam, are a bigot. Stereotyping out of ignorance will win you no favours on this side of the country.

Laughing while calling someone the "N" word would be grounds for a less than subtle straightening out of your perceptions.
  11. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can say we still have around 4 feet of snow on the ground here right now. Just had another fairly big storm yesterday. I have drifts and show banks in my yard about 8 feet tall on the east side as the wind blows from the west most of the time so I blow snow to the east. City streets are almost one lane wide around here, snow banks really high, don't want to guess but could be around 10 feet.

I watch video from Toronto and they have zero snow on the ground so that is something.

I could add that this has been a brutal winter. We usually have a week of -20C here and we have about 2 + months of that. It is going to be -15 tonight with wind.
  12. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    4c here today.. was 15 on monday, my 8yr old and I were in tshirts and changed the oil on two vehicles in the driveway...:clap

I haven't been riding yet but the neighbors have been daily since last week.
  13. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not the case .... met hundreds of them in BC, AB, NWT over the years .... you don't mind coming here to 'make the big bucks' but you leave as soon as you have enough and then badmouth BC as he has done ... not very nice eh ?

want more ? ... it's all about where you are from and what family you're from and if you're not then yer from outside .... oooooh not very nice at all.
  14. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could make sense of your last statement but my interpretation is that we as Newfoundlanders are not from where you are from so we are not welcome because of this. You are right about the not very nice part.
    As such I stand by my statement. Are Italians/African Americans/ (insert race here) treated the same way with derogatory names?
  15. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell me, are you offended by being called a Newfie? Is this what this is about?
  16. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am offended when it is used as a derogatory/insulting term, as is this case.

Edit; As an example if I was from Quebec and the "F" word was used the uproar would rightfully be fast and loud. The word is not the issue but the use of it as a derogatory term because of a persons origin makes it extremely distasteful and as such.....bigotry.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if you're referring to me but i never badmouthed BC, just some of her people. I said a lot of good things about the place and still do. I'm a positive guy and appreciated every place i've been.

As a military guy who's been over the country and work with folks from every place and demographic. We have a career as such, when we reach the end of our contract, we are "forced" to retire.
    Retirement and where to retire is a discussion every day with my generation of members.

Just about every town throughout this country have made it on someones list at some time or another.

I'll never put someone or place down to make my situation feel better. I will give opinions, thoughts on the places where i've lived.

I'm likely going back to NF, with a couple yr stint in NS starting likely in 2016. Ont is the cheapest place to live that I've been, with NS and Nf being more for day to day stuff. Many call it the ocean tax, as it's part of the deal living there.
  18. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    I heard the Annapolis Valley is nice, apparently they can grow fruit trees there. That area could have potential.
  19. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    BACKGROUND:

I've spent most of my life elsewhere since I first moved here at age 15, until 10 years ago. Born in Scotland, we moved to Ft Mac for the first BOOM in '67 then a few other places in Alberta, then Port Alberni.
    I'm well-travelled and have lived in other countries as well.

I keep moving away but keep coming back; never really could figure out why until a few years ago: I was running with a group out of the Fast Trax shop, in the river valley. Spoke to a guy who had been forced to move to Edmonton because his wife's work moved her. The other place they might have had to move to was Bonaire :lol3
    He was fucking heart-broken with the news, fearing the "frozen wasteland" (as the NHL players who won't move here call it).
    However, after a year or so, he realized this: It's a shitty place to visit, but it's a great place to live!

GOODNESS:

Yes, we have some razor-straight roads around here, but it's not far to some outstanding roads and vistas. 150km in any direction and you're in a different environment.
    Other than riding, everything is available here, including great connections at the Intnl Airport.
    WEM? Who cares :huh : if you like malls then you and I have little in common so I won't convince you of anything I imagine :D

Yes it's slowed down economically this year as the Saudis don't want Iran to have nukes, but that will pass. Besides, you're retired, right? Still lots of work, especially part-time for you semi-retired dudes. I swear that 75% of the Rona/Home Depots staff are "retired" guys who just wanna get away from Mildred and play with tools all day :lol3

The river valley is absolutely stunning and the trail system is one of the largest urban systems in the world, I'm told. Great off-leash trails and parks.

Lakes are always packed but if you like it more remote that can be found. Saskatchewan has great lakes, clear and under-fished, sitting on the tip of the Canadian Shield.

Great music and art scene here. New hockey rink I'm paying for downtown despite the fact I don't watch hockey.

Excellent police and fire depts.

Wonderful restaurants.

There's a Tim Hortons every goddamn 10 blocks.

Skidooing, if you do.

DOWNSIDES:

Did I mention the hockey rink? lol
    No parking downtown but that's typical metro stuff.
    Yearly 100,000 potholes that will get your struts denting the hood and shattering mags (can be fun on a bike though).
    Unbelievably-undertrained-uber-stupid drivers. If you are on a bike, go home or get out of town to Highway 40 or wherever asap. Yes, there are bad drivers everywhere; I have driven 4 corners of the globe. Edmonton is up there on the tangible danger spectrum. On the other hand, it can be fun if you like the challenge. :muutt

Winter. I LOVE Winter. If you don't, then go to Phoenix with all the other assholes. :lol3

SUMMARY:
    It's a decent place with a lovely valley and an excellent hub to all sorts of other activities ie: camping, fishing, hunting, music, arts, flights and more sun than most places in Canada.

If you move here and you run, gimme a shout and I'll take you out for some great trails and views.
  20. Milsparro

Milsparro Rednerd

Oddometer:
    Elliot Lake, ON has great fishing and outdoors stuff that gets advertised relatively truthfully, but the population has a very, very significant scummy young component (welfare) to it, attracted by the cheap housing. Doctors aren't the greatest either.