Best Place to Retire (Thats not B.C.)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pelvis_98, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread. For the gentleman who inquired about St. Andrews NB: a former neighbour bought a vacation house there and raves about it. He can't wait to hang it up and retire there.

I'm a ways from retirement (46), but I'm looking at making a move in the next few years that would set us up for a gradual wind-down of our working lives.

We currently live in mid-town Toronto. City life has its advantages, but every year I feel a bit more like a rat in a cage. I've been considering a move to a smaller town or city outside the GTA sprawl. Something with character and culture, and a quieter, friendlier vibe, but with easy access to
    T.O.

Guelph and Cobourg top the list so far. Stratford could be an option, although there's not much in the way of riding out that way.

Any opinions? Alternatives?

(And no, I'm not a Toronto real estate millionaire. We rent -- although I would have enough $$ for a sizeable downpayment on a small house. Another consideration for sure.)
  2. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both Guelph and Cobourg are nice. Guelph has the university, which keeps the city vibrant. I like Guelph a lot, as does my wife who went to university there. The area is really growing though. Place like Fergus that were once out of the way are becoming bedroom communities for the Guelph / Cambridge / Kitchener / Waterloo region. For me personally, just too many people.

Port Hope, Cobourg and the cities and towns along the lake / St Lawrence to Brockville are beautiful, and some of the best riding in Southern Ontario is nearby. Probably just as nice all the way to Cornwall, but I am not familiar with that area. Easy access to NY too, for shopping, gasoline, etc. Ottawa and Montreal aren't too far either.

After 19 years, we escaped Toronto, and are so happy. Housing money goes so much further. $200-300k still gets a decent house in many areas of Ontario, unlike the GTA. For hundreds of thousands less than a nondescript shit-box costs in Toronto, you can get nice homes with decent lots and even water views in areas like Brockville.

We have friends in Stratford. They like it OK, but told me recently that it feels like Stratford is becoming a retirement community, with so many seniors moving there. The riding, as you noted, is uninspiring. Pastoral and flat, not scenic. Doesn't appeal to me.
  3. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    We have lots of fruit trees (apples for sure), and vegetables in the Valley. Plenty of grapes are being grown in this area too. Some good riding can be had whether on or off road.

Taxes are almost the highest in Canada, but I try to ignore that problem.

:D
  4. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback. I hear what you're saying about Guelph. It's definitely growing, but it's still a very manageable size. The size and congestion of the GTA, by contrast, is just getting ridiculous.

Glad you landed in such a great spot!
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Had 2 co-workers recently retire to London and St. Catherines and another moving this summer to the Bellville Trenton area.

Is Guelph - Kitchener considered part of the GTA?
  6. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    No...not yet anyway. I suppose a day might come when south-central ontario is just one big urban sprawl. A Mexico City-stye megalopolis. Blech. :puke1
  7. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I've been down that way a few times now and it looks like it's quickly growing and busy. I assume a lot of TO workers commute from there.

Young fella has a hockey tourney in Whitby next weekend, never been there but looks like a nice town.

Some nice towns like Goderich or Owen Sound are north of you, but you have to go further for the good riding.

Orillia, Huntsville, Bracebridge are popular places for retirement with a small town feel, all amenities, and good riding.
  8. zomby woof

zomby woof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I didn't see Norfolk county mentioned. In SW Ontario, it's an area that goes (roughly) from south of Brantford, down to lake Erie, then west to about Tilsonburg. Lot's of small towns and rural areas where you can still buy a nice little bungalow in town, or in the country for the mid $100's or less, not much snow, and local government that stays out of your business. We moved up here from Burlington (a shit hole if ever I did live in one) and it was one of the best moves we've ever made.
  9. Hevy Kevy

Hevy Kevy ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Psst. Elora is close....... but don't tell anyone :nono
  10. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
    I love Elora. It's a bit too small for us, but it sure is pretty.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:

Hmmmm... looks like it's only an hr or so from here and some twisty roads on the way.. Any fish/chips places in the area?
  12. Ah Um

Ah Um A lurker emerges

Oddometer:
  13. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's awesome... never knew it existed. Camping, fishing, tubing, swimming, hiking...:clap

Thanks for sharing.
  15. shores

shores ElBandido

Oddometer:
    Www.visitsaugeenshores.ca

Taxes are a bit higher than some smaller towns
    Within two hours of Toronto and 1.5 of Guelph
    Winter is is a bitch though with road closures from Lake effect
    Most retirees go south for the winter

Elmira Is bigger than Elora and close to Guelph and kw Excellent choice
  16. ontrip

ontrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have never considered there but it is closer to the boarder for those PA roads.

The Escarpment looks great but the prices are most likely more than my home in Toronto.

17. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife just talked to here sister in NFLD. The ferries are stuck in the ice and are not getting through on a regular basis. The shelves are getting pretty bare of essentials over there. We just had another storm here, might be the worse yet or close. High winds and drifting snow and about a foot of accumulation. There used to be four seasons down here. I think we are down to one season, winter!
  18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Family in NF and some in HRM that say the same, tons of snow in both places. NF is not as cold though.

Usually nice summers and falls in NS. NF summers are about 10 days... :lol3
  19. shogunl

shogunl BioMechnical Heaven

Oddometer:
    Not trying to steal your thunder but when it comes to bad drivers we might be able to give you run for your money here in Ontario. :evil

I knew we had bad drivers but didn't realize how bad till I started to ride. I can't believe how many people text/talk while driving and weaving all over the road. Scares living jesus out of me.

Last year I followed this car for 10 minutes on my bike while driver was texting and all over the road. After we stopped at the light I pointed to her (She still had F**KING phone in her hand texting) and wagged finger saying no. You know what she did !!:freaky

She gave me the middle FINGER !!! I almost lost it !!, If my bike had flame throwers I probably would used it:gun2

We all have some issues wherever we live in this country but you know what ??

What I see in the world and problems they got compared to us you realize how fortunate we are.

I say if you know a better country to live compare to Canada please let me know because I haven't found one !!!!
  20. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Best country in the world!
    I am grateful every day.
    :clap