Best Place to Retire (Thats not B.C.)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by pelvis_98, Feb 27, 2015.

1. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. CopperClad

CopperClad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Niagara gave me 1 month longer riding season in both spring and fall after growing up in Quebec, and that is worth something!

So, anyway, this question reminds me of a story/parable:
    A new guy in town decides to ask the storekeeper about the community, "So what are people like around here?"

Interested in the new face as well, the storekeeper answers with a question. "Well, first, tell me, what were people like where you lived before?"

Replies the customer, "Well, that's part of the reason I am moving. After 10 years there, they are only strangers to me - - care mostly about themselves - - nothing to do - - no one smiles. Did not even know my own neighbours."

Replies the storekeeper, "Yup, well fella, I expect that you will find that people are pretty much the same around here."
  3. canadian chris

canadian chris Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    relevant to the discussion, insofar as the ability of small towns to continue to offer services in the coming years:

"...Statistics Canada reported this month that more people died than were born in New Brunswick last year for the first time since it began tracking such figures in 1972.

Two other provinces - Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador being the others - have also recorded more deaths than births in recent years.

For years, academics and politicians have warned about Canada's aging population and what it will mean for the country's social services and its rural communities..."

ctv article link
  4. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:
    How about Perth Ontario, that area looks like it has lots of recreation, prices are right and is close to Kingston for all big city needs.
  5. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Spent the weekend in Whitby for my sons hockey tournament. Nice town that will povide all the necessities for retirement. It's a growing town, but getting pretty busy though, and looks to soon be a part of the GTA.

Seams to have good public transportation and one could live there without a car and have access to TO.
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Perth would make a great retirement town. Modern hospital, great housing costs, etc and some of Canada's best paved twisties and unlimited trails and back roads.

My in laws retired there and they are loving it
  7. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    There have been a lot of positive posts for Ontario. There are a lot of Ontario people on here so I guess that makes sense. What I'm not seeing are comments about how Ontario's government's actions impact their future(debt, corruption, incompetence) . Or, as I suspect, the Ontario people just don't care about their governments actions.
  8. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find the big thing is no debt .... As for government they are all f**ked up
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Ontario members out number the rest of the countries members probably 50-1, so it'll be a little biased for sure. And the Westerners think the Country ends at TO.

Having said that, I've only been here since 2012. I don't get involved in politics and pretty much ignore the whole topic. (like you mentioned about many other Ont people.) Life's too short to worry about that, and I don't get upset over things I can't control.

I said in a much earlier response, that of the places I've lived, Ont has their shit together better than any other place. Again, I'm not talking provincial debt, gvnt corruptness, etc.

I'm referring to day to day things for me and the family. Kids schools, bills, cost of day to day items, fresh goods, etc. Wife and kids were set up with a family doctor within 48hr of moving here. Kids local sports, what towns have to offer, transportation. etc.

It's "Easy" to live here. I travelled around many of the coastal towns in the Southern part and it seems like every 10-15 minutes one will come into a nice little community with local shops, markets, medical etc. One could pick out of hundreds of these towns and retire well.
    Would help if you could bugger off for a few months of winter though..:lol3
  10. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Much too close to Toronto for me, and housing is not inexpensive. Whitby is one of those places that is being swallowed by the city.

The TO Star this weekend described a region from Niagara to Kitchener-Waterloo, to Peterborough, and noted that 26% of all Canadians live there. GGH = Greater Golden Horseshoe

http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2015/03/27/has-environment-concern-reduced-quality-of-life.html
  11. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know Perth well, it looks 19th century and has a nice old downtown. I like the area, and the nearby roads are, to my knowledge, the best in Ontario.
  12. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    According to the recent Stats Can survey, the happiest people in Ontario live in....
    Sudbury. Who knew?

And the unhappiest?
    Vancouver.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Sudbury... hmmmm. Another place on the list for a day ride..
  14. Bondo

Bondo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've lived in Oshawa most of my life but after a lot of thought, Ontario in general and Oshawa / Whitby is NOT a great place to retire. We're a couple of years away from that and the property taxes are crippling, traffic congestion is stupid, the roads are abysmal and looking further up the food chain from local government, the provincial status is a total mess and only going to get worse.

We looked around and loved New Brunswick - property prices are good and the people are wonderful but we didn't want to go anywhere the winters were worse than here. We've also spent a lot of time in the Kingston / Gananoque area and love that too but it's still Ontario. We also looked around Tweed up to Perth but in the summer, the bugs are all over you as soon as you leave the screened in patio.

We just weren't willing to let our pension and everything we've worked for to be eroded by ridiculous property taxes, constant mismanagement of utilities (which results in a five to ten percent increase per year) and paying a full year of insurance premiums for six months of riding.

I've also posted in the BC thread but we spent a month in Maple Ridge, BC this past winter looking at properties and loved it. The rain isn't an issue, property prices are a bit higher than Oshawa for comparable places but the taxes are roughly 65 to 70 percent of ours and seniors get a discount. Throw in almost all year riding, good fishing and NO BUGS,nd it was a pretty easy choice for us. My wife's remaining family is there and we both have friends in the area.

Your results may differ - it all depends on what you're looking for.
  15. Gingie

Gingie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump

Anyone live in south south Ontario? Leamington area? I've wondered how that would be for retirement.
  16. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    As I have 9 months to go, I may have to reread this thread.:1drink
  17. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i guess Alberta then. since you can then make runs into BC and NW USA easily from there. Mtns Mtns Mtns!!! oh, and the sea for those pirates out there.
    rock on!
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My sister does regular business travel to Lethbridge, she likes the place, and she’s an admitted princess. I used to go bird hunting with my dad from the 1970’s to late 90’s. I like the area as well. A hard core motorcyclist as we all are , there’s no denying its ‘relative’ closeness to the best street riding on Canada, the lower West Kootenays of B.C., and, the astounding riding south of the border in central and north eastern Washington.
    I cannot comment on winter activities there, most of my time was during hunting season, early to late fall. I’m acutely allergic to cold-ness, m retirement in Lethbridge would sure mean escape south minimum 3 months a year.
  19. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure how it is around the rest of the Great Lakes. But I can tell you living in Kincardine, ON, which is half way up the East side of Lake Huron, we rarely see the sun from November to the end of March. Many suffer from seasonal disorder.

I'm retired, but my wife will be working for a few more years, but we have often discussed where we would like to live in our older years. We have yet to decide.

Something to consider is the cost to move, land transfer taxes, real estate fees, lawyer fees, moving fees, etc.

I know people that have moved to Windsor ON because its the furtherest south....milder winters. But when I watch the news and see the high humidity and temps in the summer I'm glad to suffer through bitter winters in exchange for nicer summers.
  20. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    You make a good point, humidity is something that doesn't seem to get factored in when these lists are drawn up.. They use year round temps, summer temps, average temps, yearly precip {rain, snow}, sunshine hrs, crime, median income and a whole bunch of other stuff, but rarely humidity... The people making these lists are likely going by statistics rather than actually living there.. For me humidity would be a big decider when choosing a place to retire...
    Adanac rider likes this.