BEST Roads in Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by scootac, Apr 12, 2015.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How tall is your Wee? Eventually I'll have to replace my Trophy and the Wee is on my short list. The killer will be seat height.
  2. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'8" on a good day! 30" inseam. I'm on the balls of my feet. Would be nice if it was a bit lower....but it's OK.
    Not sure what seat height is listed as for comparison to yours. 250 lbs less than my ST1300 is the big difference in managing the height. On the ST, I'm almost flat footed.
    NurseBill likes this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    If you're partial to a Triumph, there's an 800 that sits lower. I had tried one at a cycle show couple years ago.
    NurseBill likes this.
  4. Subieguy

Subieguy Life’s a garden, dig it!

Oddometer:
    Scootac, I want to thank you so much for creating and maintaining this thread! I read through all 24 pages today. I’m almost positive that the “jack and coke” guy that you referred to meeting at the Germania hotel is a friend/coworker of mine. I contacted him today after reading that post and he’s sure it was him haha. I’m currently waiting for my v strom 650 xt to show up at wheels of Williamsport so I can start my adventure way of life. Matt (jack and coke guy) has spent the last two years convincing me to give up the Harley lifestyle and find my way into the dirt of the east. My uncle actually had (has) a state lease camp off of sliders run bordering tioga and potter county so I grew up with those roads and the area. My last few days have been spent anxiously awaiting a phone call telling me my strom is ready for pickup. I found your thread and it’s only made the wait harder lol. I’m looking forward to adding my own experiences from the Pa trails and developing a new passion. Matt and I are actually both located in the Jersey Shore area, so if you’re ever free for a ride on a Sunday or Tuesday, we’d love to join! Thank you again for all you’ve done with this thread and further igniting my growing passion for adv riding.
    drumdog and Chrismcp12 like this.
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!! VERY generous words!!!
    Thank You!!!!!

As I've said before, I've been very lucky to ride/visit some great places....Montana, Wyoming, Nova Scotia, Scotland....and still think we live in an amazing place. And as crowded as the right coast is...can get away from that very easily.
    I hope you enjoy your new Wee as much as I'm enjoying mine. And to switch from a Harley...:D

I'm pretty much available Sundays....and Tuesdays....and those other 5 days too!
    Post up when you get the new ride!
  6. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    You sure live in a great part of the country to pick up adv riding! My wife’s from Jersey Shore and I keep threatening her we’re moving back so I can enjoy the fine riding!
    NurseBill likes this.
  7. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    My Trophy is listed as a 30.7 inches seat height. I'm 5'7" with just under a 29" inseam so it's tall for me. There isn't much out there that fits me stock with exception of a Tiger 800 XrX Low and they are on the pricey side. I have my KLX lowered a little bit ( just did that a couple months ago) plus I'm heavy so it sinks a bit.

I'll have to get with you some Sunday!
  8. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    IMG_5870.JPG
    Here again!
    :D
    Met up with a fellow rider for a good lunch.....and ask his advice for an upcoming summer trip!
    :nod
    Wood1, bobw, B10Dave and 1 other person like this.
  9. Subieguy

Oddometer:
    Well, the day finally came yesterday! My wee showed up at wheels of williamsport around 3 pm after me pacing my house all day yesterday waiting for it. I don't think I could be happier with a motorcycle, this bike is everything I'd hoped it would be and more. The power is surprising, the ride is smooth, and the offroad capability is incredible even with the mostly street biased tires it comes from the factory with. IMG-5981.JPG [​IMG]

My friend and it (who also rides an 18 xt) immediately took off across the Van Dyke road to get my dirt legs under me before I put my wife on the back. If you're not familiar with the road, It runs from the top of 44 on Elimsport mountain over to 880 just above Ravensburg state park in Rauchtown. Nice gravel packed road, no pot holes, and smooth sailing. I found myself cruising at 50MPH standing up before I knew what hit me. We stopped at a lookout that overlooks Nippennose Valley. It's actually the exact spot I proposed to my wife! After typing that, I'm now wondering why it took me so long to get into adventure riding lol.[​IMG]

Stopped back at the house to pick up the ladies and headed out to pick up Bull Run out of Avis. It's been years since I've been back that way and honestly it was kind of sad to see how much it's changed since the influx of the gas industry. The roads were riddled with potholes and washboards, but the wee could've cared less. It handled them with finnes and made a believer out of me when it comes to traction control and ABS on a motorcycle. There's a dead end side road off of Bull run that leads to an amazing vista. I'm not sure of the exact name of it, but it's breathtaking. (I'm still picking up on what to look out for as a former harley rider that is used to following road signs to the next bar haha.)

[​IMG]

After leaving Bull run, we dropped back down onto RT44 above Waterville heading North a few miles to Sinking Springs road. Nice windy loose gravel road that snakes it's way up the side of the mountain. Turning off the gravel at the top, we were faced with about 200 yards of relatively steep and treacherous terrain. (Maybe not that bad but again, former Harley rider here) Large rocks and runoff ditches meant picking the correct line to get up without scratching my new baby and having to listen to my wife and buddy make fun of me for dumping my bike. Thankfully my years of dirtbike riding in my early teen years came into play and the wee climbed up without issue. The view at the top though made it that much more rewarding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After one day and about 130 miles of riding, I'm hooked. Makes me feel like I'm 15 again exploring my dad's property in Pine Creek on my DRZ125L. As a 27 year old who already has some quarter life crises, that's a dang awesome feeling! My only regret through all of this is spending the last 10 years of my life thinking that pavement princess bikes were the only way to go. We're heading out this Sunday on a 100+ mile loop through Potter and Tioga counties, so this week can't go fast enough! I have a feeling I'll be performing my 600 mile service this Sunday evening in my garage haha.

Happy trails everone!

*disclaimer* this is my first time posting on any forum ever (with the exception of my previous post on this thread.) I apologize if my picture or text format comes out weird. Rookie in training over here.

Attached Files:

MuckSavage, EmmEff, tjzondrz and 3 others like this.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Nice...I really like those gold rims!
    Yeah... with this weather....shoulda picked up an oil filter while you were there.
    Subieguy likes this.
  11. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love your enthusiasm!
    Enjoy your new bike and welcome to the other side !
    drumdog, Subieguy and scootac like this.
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    The better side???
    Subieguy and ADVer like this.
  13. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I see guys riding gravel or dirt roads....usually smiling or some
    indication of having a good time.
    I see HD riders going down the road. 9 times out of 10....a frown or scorn on their face. Aren't they having fun? Are they in pain?
    :hmmmmm
    I know they're not all as bad ass as they think they are.
    :dunno
    Subieguy, NurseBill and B10Dave like this.
  14. t1hybrid

t1hybrid The bike whisperer

Oddometer:
    Come on guys...from a Vespa to a gold wing, if I’m on two wheels I’m grinning ear to ear.
  15. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    You Sir, have excellent taste in motorcycles.
    image.jpeg
    Subieguy likes this.
  16. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    As you do in pickups!
    IMG_4630.JPG
    tjzondrz likes this.
  17. ONE2NINE

ONE2NINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I swear I'm not like the others haha. My sporty loves dirt roads.
    scootac likes this.
  18. Subieguy

Oddometer:
    Hey a fellow yellow wee! I like your style sir! I'm a sucker for gold wheels so when i saw that color combo it was a no brainer haha. This is my other dirt exploring machine.

IMG-5854 (1).JPG
    tjzondrz likes this.
  19. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Rode in Buchanan SF some today. These are off Oregon Road. I didn't hike up to the turnpike tunnel in MX boots. 20180507_121451.jpg 20180507_121629.jpg
    drumdog and scootac like this.
  20. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    20180507_121855.jpg
    drumdog likes this.