best soft cooler for BMW Airhead Touring Case?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mslim, Oct 21, 2018.

1. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    Pretty self explanatory. Looking for a soft cooler that will fit in a dual shock Airhead OE Touring Case for camping/touring. Budget equals $30-100.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I assume I'm not the first - but I turned the BMW aluminum top-case into a cooler, using some Owens Corning R5 foam insulation, earlier this year. Cut the sections on my circular saw, and glued them together with silicone RTV. My wife and I have used this on several trips since, and it is working great. Nice thing is that it will fit in either of our top cases (R1200GSA and F700GS) because internal dimensions are identical. We use a pretty generic soft-sided cooler as a secondary insulation and handy "just pull it out" container. And we use a plastic breakfast-cereal container (Tupperware like thing) to put the ice in. In the summer heat we were able to go two days between ice stops.

And all that said - it probably doesn't help you with your question. So consider this - I found this cooler when was looking for similar about six years ago.
    http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/product/6-pack.html
    The Polar Bear models are well insulated without costing what a Yeti does (but maybe a Yeti is better - I don't know, have not done the comparison). But I use this six-pack model often when I'm going out for a day or two and want to carry along a few cold drinks and maybe some sandwiches. They have an extensive line. Not cheap, but not uber expensive either.

Attached Files:

3. RideAbout

RideAbout Mentally Retired

Oddometer:
    First world problem/question....
  4. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As is about 90% of this forum...

Nice job on the insulation.
  5. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Succinct summary (I wanted to reply to that post but was so dumbfounded I wasn't sure how!), and thanks. It was a fun project.
    Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a ton of threads here recommending Polar Bear coolers. Their 12 & 24 can coolers are 12" high. They usually have a buy 2 at 1/2 price sale around Dec. I picked up a 12 can & 6 can (lunch bag sized) one a couple years ago during that sale.
    As for first world problems; that's where I am, so that's what I got.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  7. mslim

Oddometer:
    What's an Airhead campout without cold beer?? I guess in the third world they drink their beer warm?
  8. mslim

Oddometer:
    I measured my Touring cases last night. A 6-pack Polar Bear would fit easily but I wasn't sure about the 12 can. I'd prefer the 12 can model if it would fit. Did you fit the 12 can in BMW Touring case for a dual shock chassis (/6; /7) ??
  9. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, the best I can do is report it's real world height of 12" unstressed or 11" with the top compressed. It would leak on it's side- even their waterproof version isn't intended to keep water in. Don't think the 6 can will keep ice more than 12 or so hours. It didn't for me and I lent it to a guy to check out for storing insulin overnight and it didn't work for him either.
    mslim likes this.
  10. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my 16 1200gsa my yeti soft side cooler fits perfect.
  11. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 12-pack Polar Bear cooler and it fits very nicely. Fits a Pelican 1550 case even better.:D
    mslim and HarveyM like this.