1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Best SPOT alternative??.

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by BigFatAl, Mar 7, 2020.

1. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, you need phone connectivity but it's a tiny amount of data they send.
  2. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    That’s my I don’t use SPOT anymore !!
    They tried to charge me the $220 and when I bitched about it they lowered it to $125,but had I not caught it they would have charged me $220 and wouldn’t have said a thing.
    Also the email never said how much it was,just a very tiny link about 3/4 of the way thru a long email that I missed the first 3 times I read it.
  3. dirtmarine

dirtmarine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will try out Loctome today. Looks good.
  4. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SPOT got so shady with their renewals that prior to cancelling I switched my payment card on the account to a VISA gift card that had a zero balance.

I have now switched to an inReach Mini to fulfill my tracking/communication needs when away from civilization. Been working great.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  5. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    This.

I always make sure my CC will expire before my SPOT subscription. That way they cant renew it. Then I wait for the huge discount email. When I dont get one, I'll buy an InReach mini.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  6. MegaHz

MegaHz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called them and asked if they could do anything about the price before my billing renewed in January. The Rep said no. The linked CC expired last fall. I sold my spot 3 weeks ago for $30 and will be looking at an inreach mini this summer.
    BigFatAl likes this.
  7. moto_dmitriy

moto_dmitriy que?

Oddometer:
    I used to own the Spot Tracker, 3x Spot II's, Delorme inReach SE, Delorme InReach Explorer and now a Garmin 66i
    Spot billing practices were well known an very annoying. At some point I didn't get the discount like everyone else (also at the time they didn't do month to month with suspend options i think) and switched to inReach.
    2 way communication has been crucial on several trips in arranging a med rescue. Txt'ing from InReach to InReach works great and the phone pairing works well too.
    My only current gripe is that Garmin has no way of importing tracks/routes from other apps into their ecosystems while in the field....
  8. BigFatAl

BigFatAl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to go with a PLB.
  9. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zoleo is certainly using the right tech in the box. But they don't currently offer a "Tracking" option. I suppose they could do that in the App code but you'd have to be using the Unlimited Plan to make Tracking affordable. Now, if you don't need/want Tracking the Messaging counts /Plan look pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tracking option in their future since RoadPost (venture partner) is the company that did the original inReach Apps.

If physical size is an issue (not usually for motorcyclists) then zoleo is a bit larger than an inReach Mini and with no display - so you must have a smartphone to use this for any messaging other than Check-In and a SOS location message. Zoleo is claiming a reasonably long battery life. If the DarkSkys Weather feed is an important feature for you, you may want to ask zoleo what they plan to do when Apple shuts down the DarkSkys API - which they have stated will happen next year.

By the way, if you want to see the extent of products that use the iridium chip set you can find them on the iridium site.
  11. ncrambler

ncrambler Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, tracking is not as important as the check in and sos. I hate to hear that about dark sky- I use this app all the time.