Best time of year to visit Alaska???

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Quetzal, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Last year I headed that way in early September but one day I woke up to snow covered roads in Dawson Creek, so I had to head south and re-route my trip.

So I'm planning on give it another try next year, but was wondering, in terms of weather and roads condition, what the best time of year would be to go there.

Also, my intention is to take the ferry either on the way north or south, and ride the other way. So, is it better to take it northbound or the opposite?
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Your month is June and being on the water before or after wouldn't much matter.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...I agree with Legion, in that June is the month. As I have stated in other threads this state seems to catch on fire and burn all summer and by July and August many of the beautiful vistas can be obscured by smoke and haze. Many people might not notice having not seen it when the visibility is 300 miles or to the horizon restriced only by the curvature of the planet. As far as the boat ride, my logic says to boat up and ride back. That way you will be headed home in mid to late June. That should give the interior a couple of more weeks to thaw out.
  4. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    June
  5. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Around on the solstice? Plan on making the Dust to Dawson run. Fun ride. Long road through the middle of nowhere... and the Downtown Dawson Hotel at the end of the run.

Good time.
  6. Quetzal

Oddometer:

Dust? Where's Dust??? :huh
  7. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Best time of year ??.......it ain't now !! I'm here from San Diego to ride Alaska, and have had only one non-rainy day out of 4 days, and today is going to be raining more, and don't see an end to it yet.

I'm still having a great ride though !!

Rad
  8. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Alaska it go,s right from this to SNOW:vardy

9. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be kinda like Anchorage to Dawson. If it is hot and dry like 2004, you will see soon enough where the dust is. This could tie in to your trip back to the lower 48, or be a stop on your way to Alaska. Here is a gallery of some photos from the D2D 2005, and you will also find another gallery of D2D 2004 at the same site.

https://www.living-in-a-postcard.smugmug.com/gallery/611523
  10. sunio

sunio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lot's of people say to do it in June or July. I just returned from Alaska last week. I reached BC at the end of July and spent three weeks in BC,Alaska, Yukon and NWT. We had a really fantastic weather. There was no single day when it rained for more than 2 hours. It was mostly dry. Mosquitos were no worse than they are in Ontario. The only issue I has was that haze on the Top of The World highway and Dempster. Otherwise it was a perfect 4 weeks trip (except for f*[email protected]##@ Winnipeg were we soaked during 12 hours of rain
  11. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, that is why I recomend earlier in the year. I would hate to ride thousands of miles to have the spectacular views obscured by smoke from forest fires.
  12. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:
    Word!

Just over the Canada side of the border, Mid June, during the Dust to Dawson.

[​IMG]
  13. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second week of August, Dalton Hwy headed North to Deadhorse. Past Pump Station 5 or so the smoke cleared out (a bit) and the scenery was gorgeous.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Less than 24 hours later, the winds had shifted and the smoke was clear to Deadhorse. Some of the pictures I intended to take while going South looked like this...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whereas today on Hatcher Pass it looked like this (with the Alaska Range 'screaming' in the background....
    [​IMG]
    ....and the blueberry picking was easy

June is always a good month....
  14. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with the idea of riding through Watson Lake on my way to Jasper (from Seattle) - camping or staying with people along the way. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not? I know it'll probably rain, and I have heated gear - I just don't want to get snowed in (or out, and have to turn around 3/4's of the way there).

I'm also not looking forward to setting up the tent in the cold and rain, but I will if I have to :umph

Oops! I suppose I should say that I'll be traveling from Sept 3 - 8th!
  15. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    [

Oops! I suppose I should say that I'll be traveling from Sept 3 - 8th![/QUOTE]

Well, it's currently 45 degrees here and was 38 yesterday morning in Anchorage at sea level. Elevation gets very cold and you will be going up hill both ways. And stay out of the lake, it's bad for your motor. The weather may be great, give it a go-you can always turn around. Barb
  16. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The last shot at Hatchers Pass is more representitive of the views to be had early in the season. We have had some days of clearing after some of the rain systems moved through, and these views will become more common as we approach fall and winter. Only problem is late in the season the weather can be quite fickle, including cold rains and snow in the mountain passes, not good for two wheeled travel. Glad you are having a good time and got to do Hatchers Pass with good weather and views, one of my favorite places to play that is close to home, about 50 minutes from Anchorage.

Although I just reviewed some I took in August of last year. It looks like they were taken on a good day like you had. Smoke is more of an issue in the interior as you observed on your trip.

https://living-in-a-postcard.smugmug.com/gallery/181690/1
  17. Quetzal

Oddometer:

Dawson Creek, B.C., early September 2004. Oh, and we had to turn around.
    [​IMG]

We had rain almost every day, check my full report...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=914335#post914335