Best time to buy a new bike

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by gadgettr1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. gadgettr1

gadgettr1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.... I've pretty much decided I want to get a new 2020 R1250 GSA. What is the group consensus on the best time to buy one? Right now there is no incentives from BMW. I know in the past I've seen free gps's etc. I'm most likely going to trade my 16 GSA in so that means I'll be taking 90% of the farkles off and either transferring them to the new bike or putting them up for sale. I've pretty much decided on the exact bike and options I want and because of that I think I'm going to most likely have to order it and have it built (unless by some miracle there is one in production that matches my desires). 2020 R1250GSA /HP, rallye seat, aluminum tank, premium package, HP battery, and off-road tires.

Chip
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Usually late in the year they’ll offer $2k off.
    deadflagblues and gadgettr1 like this.
  3. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so it'll be a while on a 2020.
    If you don't want a 2019, I agree.. it'll be a while before you see incentives on a 2020.
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  4. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, you’re correct. The next incentives will be for the 2019 model year.
  5. NoiZboy

NoiZboy Dirt to Track and Back Again

Oddometer:
    If by best time you mean lowest cost, then what the others have said is correct - but you won't be able to order what you want by then. The incentives are, of course, to help sell off the existing inventory. So unless the configuration you describe is a stock configuration you may not be able to get your hands on exactly what you want at the end of the model year.

If it is a stock configuration, though, you should be able to find it - you might have to look for it in different dealerships, and look early on during the incentives period, but it should be available somewhere. That's what I ended up doing with my '18 GSA - which came with everything including the TFT. I got the color scheme I wanted, and I wanted all of the performance features but would not have gotten the TFT if I'd been configuring my own bike (it was still technically an option in 2018, I believe??).

Another thing I did to reduce the bike's cost is sign up for the BMW credit card. I've never been a big credit card user, but their points system is pretty generous and they had a deal giving 30K points if you spent $2K (US) in purchases the first 30 days. The card is also 0% APR for the first year. I knew I'd be buying a Nav VI, panniers, and guards, so it was easy to spend the $2K. You can apply the points to bike payments. I've since been using the card for many purchases and paying it off each month, and almost a year in I've made 5 bike payments using points, so that alone took another 1,500 off the price.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    As Shifties have been selling like a hot cakes, there are no incentives for a reason - ie. there's limited to no inventory to clear... :D If you check BMW motorcycles site, you'll see that every possible model in BMW line-up is offered at 0% financing except GS/GSAs - GSAs are almost all gone and here and there there's GS or two available...

Since you have additional specific requirements, you could order the bike the way you want and then negotiate add-ons (luggage, gear etc) at discount, ~15% maybe more depending on your negotiating skills... If '20 GS/As sell out by Aug of '20 like '19s did, there won't be much incentives on '20s any time soon either...

GL :thumb
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  7. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another option is to purchase a bike from Rawhyde school, (no affiliation, but I bought mine from them). They have been used as trainers so won't be 100% new, but they have been "adventurized" with spoke wheels, GSA engine guards, pegs and bash plate, luggage racks and you get a couple thousand off list price as well as one free class and one free tour worth another couple grand. Its a great deal and they were easy to deal with. I took my free class and tour this summer and both were really well done and fun.
    gadgettr1 and NoiZboy like this.
  8. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now for a 2019... same time next year for a 2020.
    2020’s are on the boats headed here now, so if they are sitting on 2019s, (which is doubtful) they’ll want to get them sold.

I am guessing there is about $3500 in wiggle room, especially if you are looking for Nav and the aluminum luggage...
    Provided your dealer has a 2019 or two on the floor, and if you’re lucky it is the colour you want with all the right options.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Christmas Eve just before noon, maybe 11am
    krussell and PDXRider70 like this.
  10. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me the best time to buy a bike is when I have all the cash in hand so I don't have to take out a loan.
  11. DCR1200RT

DCR1200RT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my area, I believe we have the most BMW Motorrad dealers here in SoCal, and these R1250 GS/A are flying off the showroom here.

By the way anytime you trade, you will definitely take some loss & as someone mentioned here, buying with cold cash is the best negotiating power you’ll ever have.
    Good luck on your hunt.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  12. SPX

SPX Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I understand why you say that, but I don’t agree.

If financing through BMWFS, the dealers can add points to your APR, thereby netting them more money. Therefore, they can sell a bike for less money than a cash transaction, yet end up making more money in the end. If a dealer knows that you’re a cash buyer, some will not give the bottom dollar that they’d give to a customer financing, since there’s less money in the cash deal for them.

Remember, whether it is your money or the banks money, when the dealership sells a bike, they end up with cash. Hence, being a “cash buyer” means nothing to a dealership other than the potential to earn less money.
    Racegun and Sailorlite like this.
  13. Dan-M

Dan-M Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Factory incentives will probably save you the most. If they don't come along at the end of the model year, wait until February. It's the worst month for vehicle sales especially in the north. Late in the month they are looking to make their numbers and are far more willing to deal.

As far as paying cash, as SPX said, to the dealer's revenue it doesn't help you. However, when the dealer has many tire kickers wasting their time, showing up with checkbook and trade in title in hand goes a long way to show you are serious and ready to buy. I always do that and the salesman or sales manager recognizes it and will go the extra mile to make the deal.
    gadgettr1 and SPX like this.
  14. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As the year goes on and the incentives show up for remaining new inventory, the value of your trade-in goes down. So maybe you can justify buying early in the model year even without factory incentives.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  15. gadgettr1

Oddometer:

Hmmmm I might have to check that out thank you.
    NoiZboy likes this.
  16. _Gir_

_Gir_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen a lot of incentives on GS and GSAs. My dealer has been sold out constantly for the 19 models without incentives. If you don't mind the less desired color then you might find a couple for a little money off or a zero percent financing spring next year.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  17. gadgettr1

Oddometer:
    I’ll give it a little time n see. Not sure I can wait until Feb lol. But up here in Mass the season usually ends around Nov/Dec. So, I suppose I could wait and worse come to worse I’ll order a custom build then. I guess I’ll find out then if the price I’ll get for my trade will be the same or how much it might drop. I definitely want the HP with the aluminum tank. The HP battery and off-road tires are negotiable lol.
  18. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can either buy a Demo 2020 from MaxBMW in November of 2020 when about 2 dozen 2021s are coming in and BMW has started their 0% or $2500 incentives + an extra $1500 off + 6 months warranty for it being a demo

OR you can wait until February or March and just rely / hope BMW does an incentive on 2020s. Get it shipped to your house, spend a month modifying it then you'll have a well sorted well equipped bike in time for riding season to start.

Right now, you can get a 2019 R1250 for a pretty good deal. There are barely any changes for 2020.
    gadgettr1 likes this.
  19. gadgettr1

Oddometer:

Hey Adam, how’s things?

I’m leaning more towards the Feb idea. I want a 2020 since I also plan on getting a new 2020 Cummins:) It’d have be a good deal on a 19 that has the options I would build into the 2020 for me to consider it.

My buddy had two BAD experiences with MaxBMW up in NH so I wasn’t even considering buying from them. His initial sale experience and he just had another BAD experience for his 6000 mile service just before we went to the RA.

Chip
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    I bought my 2017.5 GS in August two years ago.
    Free Nav VI
    Previous BMW owner discount
    Maybe something else I don’t recall
    They gave me a lower APR than my credit union to boot.
    AdamChandler and gadgettr1 like this.