Best tip I heard lately

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by TUCKERS, Jun 1, 2016.

1. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    And doesn't matter if you did the work or a 'professional' did it.
    Take the ride far enough ahead of departure to fix things if needed too.
  2. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose so - never had anyone else work on any of my bikes :-))) That is, actually, my second tip - know your bike inside out.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    You're lucky if you can do that....wish I had that ability.
    yokesman and petertakov like this.
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    If you have zero or little mechanical ability book one hour with your favorite mechanic. Have him take a half hour ride on your bike on your trip preparation list. Then talk with you for half hour. That would be a worthwhile investment.
    yokesman, shu and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  5. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! You might as well send your fafourite adventurer to do the trip and then show you the video ... oh, wait, someone already came up with that - it's called television :-)))
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    A tip can come from anywhere. A newbie, a seasoned traveler, a child, a wife.

Just open your mind and listen, you don't have to have a smarmy retort for every thing you hear.

I was riding a motorcycle through my home town in the UK in 1966 ( I was 16) and there was an unusual traffic snarl going down a hill to what we called the 'Danger Bridge'.....not because it was particularly dangerous, because it wasn't. It was simply a bridge with a railway track across it and the road ran underneath it. BUT....because the bridge was rather low it had 'DANGER' written on it in big red letters....hence...everyone called it by it's name 'danger bridge'.

The local double decker bus was to veer to the right and go downhill and around the bridge and join the main road just a block down, everyone knew that.

This driver didn't....he stayed left and went under the bridge.....I guess CODE was 14' and this bridge was thirteen feet and ten inches.

The bus got stuck just about four feet in.

Traffic was a mess and it was the biggest event since the Queen came to town in 1958.

I went to the front on my motorcycle and there was everybody and their brother standing around and rubbing their chins and scratching their heads.

Me too.

After a while school got out and some scruffy little kids came by.

"What's the problem" said this little lad about 11 years old, skinned knees, ketchup on his chin, school shorts on and socks rolled down to his ankles.

So me being closest to his age engaged him.

"The bus is stuck" I said. "They are wondering how to get it out"

"Who's in charge" he asked.

I replied "Well the driver I suppose"

Little kid walked right up to the driver and said "You trying to back this bus out Mister?"

"Yes!" Growled the driver.

Kid said "Well let some bloody air out of the tyres"
  7. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @TUCKERS amazing story!!! We can lose sight of the simple things so quickly! Good to practice humility! Zen and long distance, minimalist moto travel
  8. 7800

7800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scan and email all of your important documents to yourself. Passport, birth certificate, registration documents, Inoculation documents etc.
  9. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Good tip. Credit cards too. After email also put them somewhere on your media were they are available even when offline.
  10. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    My buddy rented a U Haul truck and got it stuck under a low bridge.
    He came up with the same solution to his dilemma.
    The problem got much worse however, when the under inflated tires rolled off the rims.

He also got a ticket for his troubles.
    RolyKBiker, bobw and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL I was headed to an ADV ride in Western MD on my XR650L when a loose tie down strap got sucked into my wheel while hitting highway speed on a beltway onramp. Initially locked up the back tire, then the seat got sucked down until the back suspension maxed out and then it broke. It was so tight on the hub/axle area I had to cut it out with a knife! That same trip I developed an exhaust leak on a trip the caused a smoldering fire inside my pannier! I pulled over for gas, smelled smoke, spun around and noticed it was MY bike on fire! LOL Put it out with windshield washer water at the pump.
    Overall it was a great trip...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lesson learned about a loose strap on the back end...
    [​IMG]
  12. Wherever I may roam

Wherever I may roam Because I can, that's why

Oddometer:
    On the 'Where to put your PLB/Epirb/Spot" subject: I have a Rescueme PLB1, apperently the smallest PLB around. It's tiny and light, that's good in my book.
    I have it cable tied to the shoulder strap of my hydration pack.
    Never gets in the way, I don't notice it's there and it goes with me without thinking about it when I park the bike and go for a hike up that mountain because on a hike I need to drink too.
    bobw and phreakingeek like this.
  13. oughtsix

oughtsix Reverse Engineer

Oddometer:
    Front and back of the credit cards. If you lose one, then you have the number handy to call and cancel.
  14. petertakov

Oddometer:
    Wow, as @JamesHTrotter said, amazing story, mate! And thoroughly original and authentic one at that!
    https://www.episcopalcafe.com/speaking-to-the-soul-let-the-air-out-of-your-tires/

Now, let me tell you about this giant that got defeated by a little boy with a slingshot. I couldn't believe my eyes and I was only 12 at the time :-))))
    RVDan and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  15. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    phreakingeek and petertakov like this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Mine was true, the bridge is still there. Tulketh Brow, Preston Lancashire England U.K.
    It's still called "The Danger Bridge' by everyone. DANGER spelled out big and red right across the top railing.
    You could perhaps search the 'Lancashire Evening Post' for story and pictures.
    You can also google earth the bridge.....you may even see some fun.
    bobw likes this.
  17. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Found it! Looks low all right.

[​IMG]

..............shu
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Cool. Bus is supposed to turn right, it's very awkward. It used to say DANGER right across this side of the bridge. Everyone called it 'danger bridge' by name. City landmark. It is kind of a short cut from a main road to that other main road ahead. Funny there is a motorcycle in the pic! Notice he is using the left lane! It took me some getting used to riding in the right lane when I moved to USA at the age of 31. My muscle memory still plays tricks 39 years later.
  19. 7800

7800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For mosquito bites run a teaspoon under a hot tap and put it on the bite as hot as you can stand it (obviously without burning yourself). It stops the itching immediately.
    sasho, SmittyBlackstone and rkover1 like this.
  20. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the heat breaks down the enzymes that cause the itching. It has worked for me.

doc