1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Best two up bike for gravel and occasional offroad 2020?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by TorontoAlex, Jun 23, 2020.

1. TorontoAlex

TorontoAlex Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I've moved to Vancouver BC and my FZ8 doesn't like mud and gravel. I'd like to upgrade my bike for something more ADV, for two. My girlfriend is 5'3 115lbs and I'm 190lbs at 6'1. With gear and camping equipment we'd probably hit 450lbs.

I'm open to all makes, models and years so please let me know if you have personal experience with a good set up!
  2. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Africa Twins represent a pretty good value on the used market. Plenty of torque for larger loads, I had a 2016 DCT and it was a good bike, Yamaha Teneres are plentiful on the used market as well, pretty bulletproof. Forgot which years to seek on the Yamaha but just keep in mind all models have small incremental updates but generally newer within budget constraints is better.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Vstroms have generous seat space for 2 up. They are very much a gravel runner bike.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The Super Tenere does great for what you ask. It's a sport tourer shaft on a ADV bike.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I purchased the Africa twin exactly for 2 up off highway use.Had to go quite a bit more heavy duty on the suspension to make it work as was actually dangerous on gravel stock 2 up.Great bike but like any heavy bike it is not real sand friendly 2 up.If the ground is half way firm it is a blast.Most bikes are not sprung heavy enough stock for fast paced 2 up off highway use.Running about 400 lbs with gear 2 up.I built claw pegs for wife as stock pegs do not work well when your both standing up.Takes quite a bit of set up for comfortable and safe 2 up off highway.
  6. Stellmon

Stellmon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vstrom 1000, especially the 2nd gen if you're on a budget, or an Africa Twin. Super Tenere also a good option.

The 2013+ BMW 1200 GS (with liquid cooling) is a sublime ride solo or 2-up, even completely stock. That would be my personal choice.

Don't overlook the Triumph Tiger either, if you and your partner fit comfortably. I love my 800 XCX, have ridden many miles with my wife on the back.