1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Best Value ~1,000cc Adv Bike (New): 6'+ Rider Friendly & Highway Commuter?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Barnaby'sDad, Sep 30, 2019.

1. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad you weren’t looking a month or so ago, I had my ‘14 up for sale in NOVA and it wound up selling for $7800.
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  3. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The forum classifieds (here and supertenere forum) is a good idea. I went with cycle trader for my 2014 S10 last Nov. Paid $6.5k for it with 32k miles. Drove from greater atlanta area to somewhere in Florida to pick it up. If you arent picky, its really cheap to have a bike shipped. If you find what you want and get a good price, have it shipped?
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I rode on the open roads . . . I would have an S10 too. I ride the back roads every chance I get.

I find the AT very comfortable . . . smoothest engine ever. Throttle locks work fine for me.
    You can seal the rims for tubeless. Lot’s of good deals on low mile used ones.

My favorite bike of all time is my V-Strom 1K. However, a DL650 would be more practical for commuting.
  5. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    i purchased a used 2018 vstrom 1000 w/ 1200 miles last month for less than 6k- i couldn't be happier (previous bikes ducati st2, st4s, bmw 1150gs)....
    the v is comfortable, nimble at low speeds, agile in the twisties, has plenty of get-up-&go, & will go all day @ 80+.... it would be a great commuter....i don't get off road much, & yes the clearance is marginal, but the beat up central illinois gravel roads i have been on have presented no issues.... it was price & reliability that pushed me to the v - its performance was a great surprise....

Attached Files:

6. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6k US dollars?
  7. gsboar

gsboar springfield miler

Oddometer:
    yep...
  8. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards just doing the S10. Unfortunately, no demo bikes around.

When I asked the local dealer with an S10 if it's possible to test ride prior to purchase...he said "there's no battery or fuel in it." I wanted to come back with "well...is that how you're planning on selling it?"

Anyways....he was super helpful. I'm basically in shut up and take my money" mode (he should have been able to take the hint from my line of questioning). I doubt there are too many people lining up to drop $13k+ without testing one out, so I'm guessing they won't be selling it anytime soon.
  9. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I have a question for the people that are nuts about the second generation Super Tenere. If you were primarily in the market for a second generation S10, but you saw a good deal on a first generation bike...would you consider it? It's in decent shape and the owner has already done pretty much everything that I would want to do. It's a non-ES, but it has grip heaters, bar risers, taller windscreen, etc.

The only thing is that it has ~30k miles and the owner did the valve serve himself. It is an original owner bike though, so that's a plus to me. Thoughts? While I'm cautious by nature (my general life philosophy is "trust, but verify")...I keep coming back to that listing. I'm assuming the only reason that it's still listed is that people are put off by the mileage (and perhaps DIY 26k service). Thoughts?
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    As long as the person appeared to be competent, I would trust a DIY service over a dealer service at least for Japanese dealers.
    mb8 and JeepDawg like this.
  11. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I do get that impression. Will have to give it some more thought and consider reaching out to the seller.
  12. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    And mileage on modern engines is almost irrelevant. They'll go and go and go as long as they're serviced properly.
    mb8 likes this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    All I ride are backroads, except the highway sections to get to where they start. 30,000 km on the AT, a combined 80,000 on my S10s. Both bikes are equally at home in that kind of environment.

I owned a 1st Gen for 5 years, 60,000 km. Now I've racked up 25,000 km on a Gen II. If you upgrade the clutch basket on the 1st Gen (much smoother) and flash it, it's a nice bike, as long as you don't mind the lack of cruise control. The latter bike is much more refined feeling due to the engine refinements, has cruise control, and adjustable windshield, a more comprehensive dash, etc. Still requires a flash to get the best out of it, but some people don't mind it as is because the fueling is still improved over the first gen.

What kind of price is he asking? Gen II's aren't that expensive these days.
  14. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    :eek2
    BaldKnob and JeepDawg like this.
  15. TheHeathen

TheHeathen Adventurer

Oddometer:

When I was first in the market for a 2nd gen S10 I did 2 demo rides and came away completely unimpressed with the engine while loving everything else about the bike. Both bikes were in demo fleets and although had relatively low mileage, were not fresh off the showroom floor. Unfortunately, those two experiences kept me from buying an S10 for a couple of years. I finally decided to buy one with over 40K miles (from an inmate here), and instantly fell in love with the engine character.

I don’t know if the demo bikes felt different due to not yet being broken in, or if the group demo rides just didn’t offer the opportunity to let the engine’s real character be obvious. It’s not KTM or Ducati exciting, but it’s perfect for long-distance touring. After struggling with the decision on whether to buy one for several years, I’ve since bought a second one (2017 ES, also from another inmate) since they’re a great deal now and they are one of the few bikes on the market that fit both me and my girlfriend by simply changing seat height positions.
    BaldKnob and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  16. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    The bike in question has been tuned and runs pretty well. There are also a couple tall people friendly mods. I was pleasantly surprised with how the bike fit me.

There are no used Gen II's in my area, so that's not an option. I'd like cruise control, but for the price difference (vs. a new Gen II)...I can settle for a throttle lock.

It's not cheap, but it's very clean.
  18. ttripp

ttripp n00b

Oddometer:
    JeepDawg, that bike is a good deal. They will sell it for considerably less. I drove it yesterday. PM me and I can share the numbers that I was given.
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    This is a great deal on a Gen II and it's not far from VA. https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/2016-yamaha-tenere-non-es.27041/#post-382573
  20. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    I commuted 10 years with a 1991 KLR almost 200 miles the same as you without a problem. I now have a 2016 Tenere, sure its a low maintenance bike with a shaft drive but I still pay the same mount of attention to the tires. spokes, lights and every part of the bike as I did the KLR. I no longer commute but if I had to do it all over again I again would purchase the cheaper KLR. Why burn money on a commuter bike?