Best Value ~1,000cc Adv Bike (New): 6'+ Rider Friendly & Highway Commuter?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Barnaby'sDad, Sep 30, 2019.

1. coast range rider

coast range rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX 1200:

easy maintenance
    8.5 gal tank
    But no cruise control
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Because the S10 makes the commute fun rather than something to be endured. That’s why I take it instead of my thumper.
    mb8, neanderthal and BaldKnob like this.
  3. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a gen 1 and have ridden a gen 2. The gen 2 gear indicator and intergraded cruise control is nice. So are the talIer bars and smoother clutch basket.
    I think the Madstad windshield mount I added is far superior to the gen 2 setup. I added Oxford heated grips for $90 and I like them better than the factory ones and they will be a 1/3 the price to replace when the wear out.

I added a McCruise control which was $1000 at the time and it works flawlessly but was a 8 hour plug and play event.

So if You found a first gen with farkles that you wanted for a cheap price, you can add the cruise control and be done.

No mater which gen you are looking at, the stock boxes are intergraded nice but are small, cheaply made a suck to open and close. The stock skid plate good for highway use only so I would not put too much value into those add on’s.
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  4. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t make it harder then it needs to be. It’s a stinking motorcycle and anything you listed is as good as anything else you listed. Go and sit on it, ride it if possible. If one of them sings to your heart then that’s the one, you can make it do just about anything you want it to do. Seats, raisers....whatever.....parts are out there.

Years ago Nick Sanders rode around the world on an Yamaha R1......because he loved it. Poo on everyone else saying how bad a choice that was. He made it work for him......and that’s the point......it’s YOUR bike, not Joe ExpertADV Moto’s.

Don’t turn it into a spec-sheet race or intellectual masturbation.:fpalm
    Bullseye45, CCitis, Perazzi and 2 others like this.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    As someone that has owned all of the above Japanese, Austrian, and Italian, I can tell you that the KTM, Triumph, Suzuki, and Kawasaki major maintenance costs are ALL dead inline with each other, and that the Ducati is only $240 per four years more expensive.

My last 7 bikes were a K1 and K2 GSXR-1000, 2000 Speed Triple, 2004 SV-650S, Daytona 675, (current) 2012 Multistrada Pikes Peak, and 2014 Super Duke R.

The last major on my on Ducati was less than the last major on that Triumph, which matched the two GSXRs.
  6. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know it’s not polite to answer a question with a question, but why did you do it? Answer that question and you’ll know why I want to do it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my KLR for what it was...a great jack of all trades, but if we’re being honest...it’s a master of none. There are any number of lighter bikes that are better off road. There are also any number of bikes that are going to be more comfortable at interstate speeds.

My KLR was the best compromise for me at the time. It is not the right bike for me at the moment. If you literally handed me one with the title clean and clear “for the price of on the house,” I wouldn’t ride it for my current commute.
  7. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    That same logic can be applied to the S10, obviously.

I also had a KLR and you could not pay me to commute that thing on the interstate at 80mph with trucks and distracted drivers. Cruising at +legal highway speeds, in traffic, in all weather... there's no contest between a 1200cc twin with shaft, cruise, ABS, traction control, and a windshield vs. a 650 thumper designed during the Reagan administration.
    Xchemie, BaldKnob and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  8. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, the forgotten Guzzi. Im at 46k on my 13 and it don't see anything Id be willing to replace it with regardless of price.
  9. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:

You just described a lightly used Honda Civic. :D
    neanderthal, mb8 and nohumdrumlife like this.
  10. atravlr

atravlr www.atasecuretravel.com

Oddometer:
    If I was only using a bike just for the sole purpose of commuting I would choose the KLR over the S-10 just on cost, that's all. The Tenere is fantastic, I've put over 10,000 miles on it this summer I love it, for me, just myself the KLR and similar bikes have enough speed and comfort for commuting. I never traveled at 80 mph for my commute, except for days I was late, so my usual speed was 70-75. Any faster I would agree with you on a larger displacement bike.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    It's the acceleration that matters. The quicker it is, the higher the bike's smiles per miles average.
  12. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not buy a Gen 1 under any circumstances. Gen 2 is a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade and there are plenty available. I have owned a 12, 14, and a 16. The 14 and 16 were so much better than the 12. For reference, I sold my 16 early this year with 8500 miles for $9000. It had a bunch of extras on it including Givi luggage and a bunch of other stuff.

A Gen 1 with 30k miles needs to be less than 5k. If it is not it is priced too high.
    mikefromohio likes this.
  13. CatBehemoth

CatBehemoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you reflash Gen1, replace CCT, install Madstad (less than $1000 altogether) and don't care for CC, what are other substantial upgrades that are worth extra few thou$ands?
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  14. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The whole package is vastly improved. Even with a clutch basket change the engine is still smoother due to other internal changes in the 2014+. My Gen 1 with a flash was a turd compared to the stock Gen 2. My flashed Gen 2 was in a different league.

There is a reason why Gen 1's are plentiful on the used market and tough to sell unless they are really cheap. I wouldn't touch a Gen 1 with so many Gen 2's available but others are free to choose as they please.

Here is an example of a very well equipped bike that was still very difficult to sell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Yamaha-xt1200z/254314028340?hash=item3b364c1d34:g:fEUAAOSwVZBdLOLB

Cruise Control
    Heated Grips
    Electronic Suspension
    Larger windscreen
    Adjustable windscreen
    New winglets under windscreen
    Revised Instruments that are configurable
    Revised handlebar controls
    Revised handlebar position
    Revised body panel
    Revised throttle cable position
    Revised sidestand with larger footprint
    Revised mirrors
    Better power
    Improved fuel mileage
    Much SMOOTHER engine with less vibration
    Revised fueling
    Revised touring and sport modes
    LED lights
    Revised Exhaust
    Better Sound
    Substantially improved speedometer accuracy (now reads 1mph high versus previous 10% high)
    GPS mounting bar
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  15. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow you make the Gen 1 out like it' s sub KLR or Wee - strom , The Gen 1 still has fully adjustable suspension , Almost all ADVenture bikes need personalized windshields I think the Gen ! is a bargain . I have a Gen 11 .:D
  16. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark. Let me know if you want to come up to MD, and go for a ride on it. I'll tag along on the he XSR. You can quiz me on maintenance. It's the only application I've found for the mechanical engineering degree that the taxpayer funded.
    Barnaby'sDad likes this.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Wow, that was a great deal for $5K.
  18. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is what I used to think but a thorough check of the market suggests that is all they are worth.

There does not seem to be a lot of buyers looking for them. He had listed it several times before it finally sold. One only has to look at the flea market or the Super Tenere forum to see what these bikes are actually selling for. Even the Gen 2 bikes can be a hard sell if not priced aggressively. They are still deals to be had on leftover new bikes sitting on dealers floors. I recall dealers closing out leftover Gen 1's for less than 10k and some priced around 9. A quick search of Cycle Trader shows you can still buy a new 2013 for $8,000 (I suspect some add on dealer fees).

They are already 7 years old and getting older by the day.
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    That bike had probably about 2500 bucks worth of accessories on it. Setting aside the whims of the market, that's a helluva lot of bike for the money. $5K will barely buy a CRF250L.
    simmons1 likes this.
  20. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will give it some thought. I’m really hoping to find something that comes with luggage though.

I was not able to make a deal happen on the one at the local BMW dealer. VERY nice and clean bike, but just couldn’t make the numbers work (It would be more than $7k out the door).