Best Value ~1,000cc Adv Bike (New): 6'+ Rider Friendly & Highway Commuter?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Barnaby'sDad, Sep 30, 2019.

1. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! Wow....nice bike!

I've owned a 2002 SV650S (my first bike) and an SV1000S. Currently on a Harley Switchback and have been thinking hard on an additional bike, an ADV bike. Since I don't have the money for a GS, the VStrom and Tenere are in my wheelhouse. I am a fan of the Suzuki twins though and that VStrom of yours looks great! My 2 complaints with the SV1000S I had was the stretch over the tank due to the L-twin design, and the low speed in town lack of smoothness in the engine, the lumpiness if you will. How is the VStrom in this regard? Is it reasonably smooth when going through 25mph zones?

Again, congrats!
    davyjones and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  2. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2 and the multistrada fealt great. If I recall correctly the pegs are a bit farther back than on most adventure bikes. You would probably have been much more comfortable with the higher seat position or optional seat. I actually like the agricultural nature of ducati gearboxes: it requires an assertiveness in your shifting. In addition, the gearbox should wear in a bit after a while. Have you tried the S model with the skyhook suspension?
    If you don't plan on riding sand or single trail it's probably the best adventure bike on the market. Totally in my top 3 commuter bikes.
    Honestly, my only gripe is that the front end feels a bit light out of corner.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I will say that based on my extremely limited experience...both the Super Tenere and V-Strom are great bikes for the money.

I put 55 miles on it Saturday and 100 miles today. Mixed riding. I think it’s great at low speeds around town. To address your concern...the key is not running it at too low of RPMs. Figure out the sweet spot (gear and RPM wise) for the applicable speed and you’ll find it to run plenty smooth around town.

I don’t think it’s in danger of keeping up with a Multistrada 950, but the engine is plenty peppy enough to make me happy.

The only “issue” that I would share at this point is that at highway speeds there is a bit of vibration felt through the handlebars...primarily the right one.

I moved the windscreen up to the highest setting and it works fine for me at 70-75 MPH. I will likely just stay with that one for a while.

The seat height and peg height and location are perfect for me.

The seating position might have been addressed by a taller seat, but then I’m looking at death by a thousand paper cuts...”farkles” wise.

Before taking it out on real ride (ex. I put 100 miles on my V-Strom today), I already had $3k+ in my head just to get it to where it would be comfortable (ex. Higher seat, lowered pegs, raised windscreen, panniers, top case, etc.) just to make it useful to me.

I did not try the S version. New...it was above by price range. Used, it wasn’t an option for the 950 (I saw no used 950S within a few hundred miles) and the 1200S in my area were all pretty steep, price wise. Most of the ‘10’s in my area were still $10k+.

Don’t get me wrong...I can totally see why people get hooked on Ducati’s. I just had no interest in dropping $14k to take on a project bike (which is what it would have ended up being for me).
    davyjones and rauchman like this.
  4. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    How is the room for a pillion with those bags on the bike? I'm sure its the angle of the photo but it looks tight the way this shot is.
    Looks like a great bike and good luck with it!
  5. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I do all of my riding solo, but I’ll say that It doesn’t look like it would be particularly spacious with a passenger. That being said...I don’t think it looks anymore cramped than similar sized motorcycles with the same style cases.

Thank you.
    OnOff likes this.
  6. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The seats on Ducati's are adjustable, meaning they can go up or down by a good amount, no need to buy anything. However, I think there's also a comfort seat option that should further increase the seat to peg distance. 3000 sure sounds like a lot of money farkle wise, was that including the spoked rims option?
    I don't think there will be any used 950s soon, since they're brand new for this year. Sounds like your best bet would be to just wait a bit and grab one with the touring pack on the used market in the near future. Usually the guys that buy brand new Ducatis sell them in a year lol.
  7. Aleksandar_the_Great

Aleksandar_the_Great Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6.4 and had a V strom 1000 which I have put 18000 miles in a year , great comfortable but boring... Then i tried and gs1200 adventure and loved it again , not boring but the sofa seat has done my heading and the buffeting i could not get rid off... sold now...
    I am currently waiting for a Tenere 700 , bought one with rally seat and heated grips ( I know it is not 1000 cc ) but I personally think it is worth a try... best engines I have tried , smooth responsive , seating is spot on even with stock seat but the rally seat will be even better ...mpg should be great and reliability is very good on the CP2... you should try one as this is well below the price point of 1000cc bike.

Aleks
    davyjones likes this.
  8. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    The handlebar vibe that I mentioned in an earlier thread wasn't there this morning (coming up on 300 miles).

I adjusted the angle of the windscreen. That seemed to eliminate the small amount of buffeting that was present.

I got my Cyclops TPMS system in late yesterday. I'll have to install that this weekend.

The dealer didn't mention that particular seat being adjustable.

The $3,000 that I threw out would have included panniers and top case. Just to get the equivalent storage setup that I've got with the V-Strom, it would have been ~$1,500. I raised the windscreen to the highest setting and the wind protection wasn't as good as the V-Strom, so that's $200. A seat (the dealer implied that I'd have to buy a new seat) $300. It didn't have grip heaters, so that would have been another couple hundred. etc.

I could have waited, but I wanted something now. If I'd waited...I wouldn't get to use the toll road on the way home "for the price of on the house." :1drink
  9. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    A quick follow-up and a few honest thoughts (good and bad) about the V Strom 1000 from someone that’s had it two weeks, but already pushing 800 miles (mostly commuter use):

- With the small fuel tank and running at 70+ MPH, you won’t get long out of a tank. Whenever I top off, the trip/range estimate is in the 220-230 miles range.

This is a good and bad thing, in my opinion. It’s slightly inconvenient (the bad), but I literally laugh out loud when I see how small the fuel bill is (good), compared to the truck that I’ve been daily driving.

- The stock windscreen sucks for highway runs in rainy conditions with heavy traffic (turbulence/water from vehicles in front of you). I’m guessing that’s the case with pretty much any stock screen in this segment though. I replaced the stock screen with a Givi Airflow a couple days ago.

By decreasing the wind noise behind the new and bigger windscreen, I am greeted by even more engine and exhaust noise at speed, which is fine with me (I think the exhaust note sounds great). It’s kind of like I got a slightly louder than stock slip-on exhaust, for “free ninety-nine.”:ricky

-Following the instruction manual...I can’t get the clock in the dash to reset. I’ll have to give it another shot this weekend.

-I really like the factory panniers. I ordered a Givi Outback 42 for a bit more fixed storage (been rolling to work with a dry bag on the luggage rack).

-The heated grips have been nice on cool morning. With regular/summer riding gloves they are hot to the touch (I had to turn them down).

-On occasion, the throttle was a bit spastic/jerky at low RPM’s. The dealer took most of the slack out of the throttle cable when I took it in for the break-in service. That addressed the issue.

-I like the dash layout. It makes sense (to me) and is easy enough to read in all light levels.

-The gear indicator is a nice feature. There’s no fishing around and wondering what gear you’re in (neither of my previous motorcycles had a gear indicator).

-Clutch and shifter operation are smooth and consistent, as expected.

-Despite some comments that I’ve read to the contrary around the internet’s, this IS a fairly peppy motorcycle. Even keeping it under 4,500 RPM for the initial break-in...I was pleasantly surprised with the acceleration.
    Anyways...just my two cents.:beer
  10. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Folks always talk like the Japanese ADVs are sluggish but I'm convinced that's just the horsepower addiction talking - especially so for motojournalists who get the KTMs and Ducatis thrown at them multiple times a year, lmao
    davyjones, rauchman and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  11. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I think a lot of it is a numbers thing. Pretty much everything in the segment is over 100 hp. That being the case, 91 hp doesn't sound impressive.

Looking at a Cycleworld review from 2014...the V Strom 1000 is within 2/10 of a second 0-60 with a R1200GS. It's just over half a second slower in a 1/4 mile run.

When you're talking about vehicles that run less than 4 seconds 0-60...you're not talking about the difference between fast and slow...you're talking about the difference between stupid fast and stupidER fast.

Oh...figured out the clock reset. The engine has to be running...not just the key turned to 'On'.
  12. Redoubt

Redoubt The chair is against the wall.

Oddometer:
    My 14 Vstrom 1000 is a great bike but I needed the tall seat, bar risers, lower footpeg mounts to be comfortable. If I was looking for a bike today it would be a vfr1200x.
  13. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I look at what's for sale amongst 1 liter ADV bikes, the Strom always comes out on top for Bang for the buck. It would be hard to say no... The tens are always more money around here.
    davyjones and cabanasjohn like this.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The amount you’re saving on chain maintenance closes the gap.
  15. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had shaft and chain, I agree shaft is awesome... but I don't really find a chain that difficult or expensive. Yes, when you are on the road it is more of a pain. I guess it depends on the riding you are doing. I always hear the Super Ten is a pig... big, underpowered, not great in corners. Comfortable yes... I will have to ride it one day.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    If it was I wouldn't own one. I'm on my second one now, with an Africa Twin in between.
    davyjones, CatBehemoth and CCitis like this.
  17. Perazzi

Perazzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    B'D...sincere congratulations. Choice is always personal and in this case you made a wise one. I've followed this thread with interest as I too went thru pretty much the same selection process you did. Trips to look at - test rides - the whole deal. In the end, I went with the DL650 instead of one of the larger bikes - thankfully. And it wasn't about $$. Like you, I had a long list of priorities for "my" bike. I'll skip all the reasons why I chose a Wee and just say your bike will continue to bring you increasing joy all during your ownership. Not just my opinion either. Welcome to the Borg. Resistance is futile. :D
  18. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I thought it felt extremely porky while stationary. However, once you got it moving, I didn't think the size or weight was an issue. It was a very well balananced bike. In hindsight...it seemed better balanced than my V Strom.

The one I rode was not stock (power commander and slip-on), so I can't comment on 100% stock performance. I thought the one I rode was quick enough. If the seller had come down to within the NADA price range...I'd be riding that around at the moment.

I really think it's a toss up between the two. There are pluses and minuses of both. You just have to decide which one will work best for you.
    CCitis likes this.
  19. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    I liked the net for the top case, so I got them for the panniers. It’s nice not having stuff rattle around in the cases.

15A9FCB7-2CDC-44E7-A7E9-9692D57AA5A7.jpeg
  20. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Not bad for one month (passed 1,500 miles today). The latest acquisition...heated gear...got a workout today.

E6808F3A-E730-4149-B272-842B7B967777.jpeg
    davyjones and Lost Cartographer like this.