Best Value ~1,000cc Adv Bike (New): 6'+ Rider Friendly & Highway Commuter?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Barnaby'sDad, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Motorazr

Motorazr n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't doubt that statement is true for you - but it's true only in YOUR exact situation. Real-world variables include country of residence, proximity to honest and competent dealerships of each brand, how hard one is on the bikes, and how much maintenance work an owner does himself. If you live near a great Ducati (or KTM) dealer but near lousy dealers of every other brand, you rarely break parts, and you pay the dealer to change even your oil, then, sure, Ducati (or KTM) could be great. Not everyone lives in that scenario though, far from it. Simplistic, blanket statements are intellectually lazy.
    rauchman likes this.
  2. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found a good deal on some pannier liners.:lol3 Perfect fit.

BB495B23-824E-4EE6-99EF-A346C7604E7B.jpeg
  3. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was the main factor in moving back to the s10?
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My AT suffered from intermittent stalling that Honda couldn't fix and they wouldn't replace the motor so I moved on. Considered a GS but the S10 had better ergonomics and was better bang for the buck.
    davyjones and Bolzen like this.
  5. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Turned over 3,000 miles today. On track to do the 4,000 service the end of January.

When I stopped to grab lunch on a ride this weekend, a nice older gentleman complimented me on my motorcycle and asked if I was a delivery man.:lurk We talked for a couple minutes. He was puzzled as to why someone needed so much storage for a motorcycle if they weren’t delivering stuff. I threw out that I lug around a laptop bag, lunch box, day bag/clothes, etc. and he seemed to get it at that point.

I got a kick out of the interaction, as most people tend to just go with “nice bike.”
    Bullseye45 and davyjones like this.
  6. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike and review, seems like a good fit, enjoy the miles! I get similar questions on the pannier capacity when I have the top case, hard to explain to folks that havent commuted especially with a full size laptop, power brick, mouse, etc. I did end up buying a higher end power brick that was half the size so it would all ez fit in my side case. Add gym clothes (I shower at work), and its a lot of stuff to carry...cheers
    davyjones and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  7. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    5,195 miles at the moment. Still enjoying it.
    Had my first ever on-pavement “whoops” fall/drop experience yesterday. The left engine guard and left pannier got a small scrape. I was surprised how well the pannier held up. I expected something to be bent or broken.

I added Grip Hippo’s recently. Really getting a kick out of those. The added benefit yesterday is that those prevented the bar end from getting scraped up.
    davyjones and AdventureTrail like this.
  8. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    Thought I’d provide an update. 6/14- 7,800 miles. Haven’t had to commute for three months, so the mileage isn’t racking up as quickly.

I went ahead and put new tires on it (Dunlop Trailmax Mission).

I’ve been enjoying it more as I spend more time wrenching on it. Ex. Put a fender raise kit on it today. Will probably put larger pegs on it next.

I’ll likely start commuting soon and I’ve been riding it more frequently in my off time, so should get it up to 10,000 miles or so before I hit the year mark in October.:beer

36ADDC34-1A46-40A0-9B23-C12EC1BD820D.jpeg

Raised fender.

93C4A28F-B678-463C-842B-D5127169F749.jpeg
    Shin1ichi2002 and davyjones like this.
  9. Roughrider1886

Roughrider1886 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Purchased a leftover 2018 1290 SAR in 2019 for $13,995 (plus tax). Have had zero issues in 4000 miles.
    davyjones likes this.
  10. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    They don’t sit in inventory in my area. I wanted to at least check one out, but I couldn’t find a 790 or 1290 locally.
    davyjones likes this.
  11. Roughrider1886

Roughrider1886 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I purchased mine in Tucson AZ. The dealership still had 10 left in crates after I got mine. He said that KTM had given the dealership a sweet deal mid year on a bulk purchase of the bikes so they took advantage and were just looking to make a few bucks per bike and move them along. I didn't even need to haggle to get that price. They were a stand up dealership.
    davyjones likes this.
  12. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    The red type is the corrected part of the quote..............
  13. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and your correction is bullshit. From a (previous) owner of all that I listed.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy a Ducati multistrada and get back here in three years............
    davyjones likes this.
  15. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have owned one since 2017 just for reference.
    received_10156271509029251.jpeg

The only additional maintenance on that bike over the Japanese is the belts.

In-fact THAT very Ducati has a lower cost of prescribed maintenance than a same year Triumph 675 if dealer serviced.

Why? There are two Triumph "A" services for every Desmo service, the lowest quote I ever got for that 675 was $1200 including the valve check .....every 6,000 miles. The major maintenance intervals are at the very least close if not dead inline with the Japanese and the rest of the Europeans. With the Ducati I know that its going to be ~700/yr in desmo services because I ride it that much that I hit that mark annually, I also knew that going in.

My 1290 Super Duke is on the lower end of maintenance costs for any of the bikes that I have owned with 18,000 miles between valve checks, a major service otherwise is in the $500 dollar range, if I let a dealer do it, which is rare, otherwise its the normal crap, inspect the wear items re-torque all of the things, change the oil...at a recommended...I think it was about $900 for a major that included the valves one the SDR the one time I had it done at a KTM dealer, 5 years into owner ship, the first valve check is on the second major, about 19,000 miles in.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Your Strom is sweet! Plenty of power if you ride it hard AND cruises all day, NO worries. Had 650 and 1000, S10 and CRF1000. All great and reliable back road rippers.

Enjoy!
    CCitis, davyjones and Barnaby'sDad like this.
  17. Barnaby'sDad

Oddometer:
    My 7,500 mile service was $140. It would have been $260 if they had to replace the air filter and spark plugs. Both were good, so will wait and replace those till the 15,000 service.
    davyjones likes this.
  18. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny, I posted this in Oct 2019... but did not take my advice. Looked at Stroms... and other bikes, went on an adventure and ended up with a R1150GS lol. Who knows how it will treat me, but shes a fun bike full of character.
    Barnaby'sDad, davyjones and rauchman like this.
  19. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    KTM ownership strategy: wait for a model to be out for at least one year, someone starts a website of all the known issues, then A.) buy new bike and fix all the issues before doing any major riding; or B.) buy a used bike with all the issues already remedied by previous owner.

No honest discussion about maintenance/ownership costs can be had without figuring these costs into the math. Camshafts, waterpump seals, kickstand relocation brackets lest you crack a hole in the engine case during a minor scuffle, I could go on and on but no need when we have standalone websites already solely dedicated to documenting these issues for the KTM 690's, 790's, and 9x0's. Their thumpers are usually better except for plenty of folks keeping, uh, spare PDS shocks (yeah, the whole damn thing) back at the truck. The way these issues are discussed in KTM circles on ADVRider is that the priority for any respectable ADVer is to address the major items, not complain about them much less total up their costs for all to see the true cost of "Ready to Race". Of course then the folks who didn't have any issues with their bike in the 6 months they had it before they sold it for the newest model year chime in and make it seem like the websites dedicated to KTM issues are nothing more than grand conspiracies :jack