Best Vanvouver area and lower BC rides

Discussion in 'Canada' started by vince82, Jul 24, 2018.

1. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, do we have a thread for the best rides starting from Vancouver?
    If not, post your favourites! I am new to riding in BC, could use some recommendations :D
  2. pvwheeler

pvwheeler Your Message Here...

Oddometer:
    My wife and I loved hwy 99 north of Vancouver. Especially the part from Pemberton to Lillooet. We considered riding it twice on our tour; and I wish we had. Best road of our 10000km trip from Ontario.
    Markuver, TooFarGone and filterx like this.
  3. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Vince. First off, some important details. What are you riding? What kinds of routes are you looking for... dirt or street? How long of rides are you looking for? I can tell you about my short hour evening hops... or longer rides.
    MikefromNL, Steve G. and filterx like this.
  4. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on a Tracer 900, I'm interested in both long rides (up to 600km to do in one day) and couple hour evening fun rides. Street, no dirt. Twisty, where possible. :)
    filterx likes this.
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the ride to Darcy is excellent. the further you go, the better it gets. you gotta turn around at Darcy, return via the same route, to Mt Currie.
    best to keep the speed down thru the native settlement (which is near the finish line).
    if you had a dual sport - Darcy would be where the real ride would commence. : )
    shuswap1 and filterx like this.
  6. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dunno, up to Whistler is really straight.. To have fun with a motorbike you have to go really fast.
    Where are some backroads with decent hairpin bends? :)
    You know, I'm from here

7. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you find Van to Whis boring, Mt Currie to Lillooet then back to Van via Litton might work for ya.
    Yarkoonthego and vince82 like this.
  8. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, we have plenty of switchbacks like that around here but we don't pave them, thankfully!
    MikefromNL likes this.
  9. TooFarGone

TooFarGone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try highway 3 through Oroville to Winthrop Washington then highway 20 and Chuckanut drive back to Bellingham then home. One of the best pavement rides I’ve done around here and if you ride it like the video you posted it’s a day ride:). It’s great in either direction and Winthrop makes a great place to spend the night if you want to stretch things out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked a little at "passo della sambuca" and if you like that stuff the best, dust off the passport and ride the 200 turns between Spray and Fossil in eastern Oregon. Plenty more down there in a low population area with twisty roads, nice pavement, and good scenery. Good 3 day ride, or two maybe at your pace.

I like 5A between Merritt and Kamloops, also 31A from New Denver to Kaslo, not near Van , but good for scorching pavement.
    3rdeng and vince82 like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Come to the Island 'Mon'

:1drink
  12. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm coming for bc day long weekend :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    filterx likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Munns Rd., Gellespie Rd., Prospect Lake Rd., and the Sooke to Cowichan Lake loop.

:1drink
    CCitis likes this.
  14. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Road to Tulameen - Spences Bridge to Cache Creek, then north to Logan Lake - Coldwater exit north to Merritt, then 5A to Kamloops - Allouette Lake road - Chilliwack Lake Rd - Belcarra Park Rd - the latter are closer to home. The ability to enjoy dirt will expand the possibilities endlessly.
    filterx and what broke now like this.
  15. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Mount Baker
    shuswap1, Steve G. and filterwrench like this.
  16. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey mind the guys in those videos are not me :D

At most, this is a video of me falling like an idiot during my first week on a motorbike.
    (tried to avoid giant pothole on a bend with no visibility, car was coming from the other side, a guy behind me was filming and asked me if I wanted the video.. Of course I did)

17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the paved backroad from Cowichan to Port Renfrew was designed for fast motos.
    i've never seen a cop on that road. YMMV.
    watch out for folks towing their boats - shorting the curves.
    Effisland, filterx and vince82 like this.
  18. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    This time of year, good luck enjoying the view behind the train of tourist campers!

Though you can get lucky. I caged it through here not long ago, the highway is still in good condition for all your bikes, the views are amazing and there is ice cream at the bottom. This time of year expect busyness.

Osoyoos! You can drive from Vancouver to Nelson easy in one day, about 8 hours, much less if you are in a hurry and off-hours not during the day. Would be a beautiful trip, and come back some other way. Nelson, known for Kootenay hospitality - taco place and pizza shop I went to while there both had dispensaries. Sadly I was working! BC has plenty of great day rides.

I encourage all to purchase this handy book! Sadly I rarely use it, need to get out more.
    DestinationHighways.jpg

Can't attest to the camping recommendations but there is plenty of great biking info in here.

Head on up to Anarchist Mountain! It's also a great beer. These twisties are very niiiiiice! I last ran it in my F800GS about five years back, fully loaded. Time before that some lady had ran off the highway and was luckily found a few days after, I think, still alive and lucky too on the edge of the mountain.

twisties2.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

With a very few exceptions, the best riding in BC is found in the West Kootenays. the best street riding within 100 miles of Vancouver is found in Washington State. Mt. Baker. Highway 20 from Marblemount to Winthrop. Local roads in Whatcom County, South Pass Road, North Pass Road, Silver Lake Road, Mosquito Lake Road,,,,maybe Chuckanutt,,on a weekday.
    Allrpm and Effisland like this.
  20. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duffy Lake Road - about 2 hours away, then another hour or 2 on twisties. Also, add a dualsport to your list, as some of the best FSR riding around is within a few hours of Van...

m.
    shuswap1 and Effisland like this.