Best Vanvouver area and lower BC rides

Discussion in 'Canada' started by vince82, Jul 24, 2018.

1. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What map (paper actual map I mean) do you guys recommend carrying?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, most of it isn't paved, just the bit near Seton and the last section into Lillooet. If you can't have fun on the last section headed into Lillooet........some of the best road I've encountered, actually. Not fast, just great grip and tight as heck. The wife had the most concern on a few of the switch backs of Mission Mountain. But she was a novice off-road rider on a 460# bike, off pavement for pretty much the first time, on street tires.
  3. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Her phone is best, but we also have GPS and Backroad map book as back-up. It is a safer trip with a second rider, not a lot of traffic on the Highline.
  4. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    On the Highline? Experience and common sense. Perhaps I just have more than you? :-)
  5. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Mr. Squonker, if there is anything I've learned in my 62 years, (but only 50 years actually riding), it's to never argue with the voice of experience and common sense. I'll let my 59 YO Yorkshire wife know just how risky her ride over the Highline was on her F700GS sporting street tires 2 years ago! BTW, that was her first ride off-pavement on the BMW. HaW!
  6. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    I must add another favorite: Merritt to Logan Lake to Savona via the Tunkwa Lake Rd. Don't miss the portion north of Logan Lake, quite a fun bit of new blacktop
  7. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    A couple years ago the Missus and I were doing the Highline with our Jeep Rubicon. Heading west from Seton to D'Arcy in the pouring rain. Halfway there we come around a corner and meet some poor guy in a Tesla Model S. I guess his GPS was taking him on the shortest route to Lilooet.

:1drink
    Steve G., shuswap1 and CCitis like this.
  8. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was up in Kelowna a few years ago picking up a bike I had bought site unseen, and had it in the back of my truck. On the way back to Vancouver, there was a fatal accident ahead of me on the Coq. The kind where the Coq shuts down for hours. I turned around and went the long way (always better than sitting and rotting in my opinion), but the amount of Teslas and electric cars that tried to double back but ran out of juice was brutal. We had turned back just before hope, and having to backtrack to Merritt did not work for them. I guess they had to get towed? Yikes.
    Steve G. and shuswap1 like this.
  9. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will throw in 2 roads I just did:
    From Westwold to Merritt via the Douglas Lake Ranch road. Pretty good gravel, could let 'er rip in many places. Fantastic scenery.
    Summerland to Princeton through Osprey Lake. Gravel from Summerland to the Lake, them awesome twisties to Princeton.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  10. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Douglas Lake ride, ridden last Sat for the 3rd time this summer and that ride from P to Summerland is great also, last summer.
    There is a FSR that splits off the Douglas Lake road east/south east bound that connects with Whitemans Creek FSR just south of Vernon, west side that is about 70km off road and well worth the ride also.
  11. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm did not know. I see that on the map now. Thanks!
    shuswap1 likes this.
  12. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    On the way to the Okanagan this summer, I opted to show my partner the Fraser Canyon and the road from Spences Bridge to Merritt. I hadn't done it in years and years and years and forgot how much fun it can be. Even two up it was a blast and the scenery is fantastic.
    Steve G. likes this.
  13. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I can see a market for a gas or diesel powered genset on a small trailer for this kind of "vehicle virtue signalling".
  14. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it....:beer
  15. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a loop from the lower mainland that I have done a few times and again on Sunday it's a good day ride.

Exit the lower mainland by the Lougheed Hwy 7 to Hope, breakfast stop optional, Hope to Princeton on Hwy 3 then take Hwy 5A to Merritt, before Aspen Grove head back South to Tulameen then take the Tulameen FSR to Britton Creek on the Coquihalla then Hwy 5 back to the lower mainland get off the main Hwy around Chilliwack then back roads home.