Best Ventilated Modular Helmet? AGV or Nolan, Bell, Shoei?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MiamiPhoto, Oct 27, 2021.

1. MiamiPhoto

MiamiPhoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Schuberth and a Nolan modular helmet. I have Shuberth's vibrating sunshade and the visor that never stays open.... I prefer Nolan better.... Based on your experience, what is the best flip up/modular helmet for tropical, Florida climate?
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can recommend the Touratech lid but have a look at NEXX as they make the TT modular helmet.
  3. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoei Neotech, while being comfortable, vents very poorly, in my opinion. I have not tried the Neotech II, however.
  4. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, first thing is pick one that fits your head shape.

I am “Long Oval” and the AGV Sport Modular fits me and the top vent flows a lot of air to the very top of my head.

But, it is a VERY loud helmet.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nexx does have their own branded version now as of early this year. Nexx Vilijord. No idea how it compares to the TT option besides being less $$.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  6. Rusty2000

Rusty2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a Nolan. Vents well but only a central strip over your head. The sides get hot.
  7. Mumbles24

Mumbles24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe consider the LS2 Valiant 2, 180° flip modular, good venting top shell. Not as quiet as Schuberth or Shoei, more airflow.
  8. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Nolan N104 and it's O.K., I wouldn't call the airflow wonderful but I'm in Oz and it doesn't get unpleasant in the oven like summer heat here. For me it hits the sweet spot between acceptable noise and airflow.
    The N-1005 may be better, tried one when my wife was shopping for a new lid for herself but obviously not at speed.
    Rusty2000 likes this.
  9. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with the HJC RPHA90 for 2 years plus.

The new model RHPA90S has some improvements but I have yet to try the 90S new model.
    Desk_Jockey and Charleetho like this.
  10. TravelinLite

TravelinLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Neotec II and I do not believe I will ever buy another Shoei product. Neither the shield or chin bar will stay up. If I were to buy one today I would buy the HJC RPHA helmet. It is cheaper and is what I had before I bought the Neotec II.

Edit: By the way, I think the Neotec II vents well.

There someone on this board selling an RPHA 90S, size large, that I have been eyeing.

Good luck.
  11. 9w6vx

9w6vx Pergo et Perago

Oddometer:
    @TravelinLite,

I was eyeing the Neotec 2 but in the end I decided to get a full face instead (Shoei z7+ or known as the RF1200 in NA).

The Neotec was too much money and it was heavier than my existing RPHA90.
    A mate has the Neotec 2 and he's very happy with it.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Neotec II and the chin bar does stay up on mine, but the face shield stays up in all but the lowest setting.... It does vent well and, although heavier than most flip lids, it is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned..
    dtaski likes this.
  13. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Very happy with my Klim TK1200. I hate drop-down pilot shields, the Klim comes with the Transitions shield instead. Vents very well and comfortable, fit is very intermediate oval, if a Shoei RF-1200 fits you well, this will too.
  14. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    I will second this.... Love my NTII and no issues with the face shield staying where i put it at any speed or the chin bar staying up. I wonder if the poster that has had chinbar issues needs to make sure its pushed up all the way, there are two specific detents and the second one is secure enough ride with it up if one was so inclined...

I have also owned a Schuberth C3 and i will say that the Neotech II is a much better ventilated helmet and although heavier the Shoei "feels" lighter in use and aerodynamically better in the wind. My C3 had the never stay open visor too but i fixed that with some felt pads inside the mechanism to give it some friction.

Re Nolan, that's a helmet i will never buy again. I have owned one and my wife did too, neither helmet lasted. My N90 made it a little over a year before it was replaced when the chinbar stopped latching and the interior was flat worn out. I replaced it with the C3 which i wore for 7 problem free(visor excluded) years until i retired it. My wife's rarely used N104 was good for 3 years before it literally started to fall apart, i kid you not parts felling off like the vents, the inner sun shield that never got deployed etc. The Neotech II that replaced it is now 3 years old and is still like new and has been used a fair bit more.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  15. Marman

Marman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Schuberth just released their new C5 which has two chin vents instead of one in the earlier models, and an exhaust vent at the back, which previous models did not have at all. Wondering how it will perform venting-wise: https://c5.schuberth.com/
  16. jb882

jb882 13HP of fury.

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting. I just wish Schuberth would ditch the pre installed speakers and microphone deal. I am not at all a fan of being locked into a specific comms system and not being able to put anything else in there. Back when i got my Shoei i was looking at a C4 and i asked Schuberth if the speakers could be removed because i wanted to use something other than their offering that was based off the Sena 10 series at the time and was told that they were not removable. I never researched it any further and ended up buying the Shoei which i am totally happy with.
  17. Marman

Marman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They actually are removable and you can find videos on YouTube where people show how to do this. The new C5 does not come with a preinstalled mic, but it has a slot for it. The actual mic will come with with the Sena SC2 and will be plug and play. Speakers and wires are in the helmet though.
  18. Rusty2000

Rusty2000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't wear a Chinese helmet if you paid me!
  19. bigride

bigride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my new Nolan N 100-5. Its my third Nolan. But, its not hot where I live and I don’t feel tons of air coming thru the little vents.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned Schuberth, Nolan and currently a Neotec modular. I actually owned two different Schuberths. Mine is a regular Neotec and I think it vents wonderfully. Personally found the Nolan a step below the other two in quality. I checked out a Neotec II at Cycle Gear recently and like my original one better.

I'm very picky about helmets. I guess 20+ years of racing made me picky. I base my helmets on the tier system...top tier is Arai, Shoei and Schuberth. 2nd tier would include AGV, Shark, Nolan, Bell, maybe Scorpion. Everything else falls into 3rd tier for me. The only helmet outside of the top tier I own is an HJC for dirt biking.