Best way around Superior?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Promod1385, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Promod1385

Promod1385 n00b

Oddometer:
    Start in Duluth and head north? Or South? Input would be helpful, looking to head that way as soon as it warms up.
  2. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO go north...the vistas coming over the hills while east bound are nice and closer to the water :lol3

I lapped the lake twice last year and once this year (FWIW 36 hrs 1500 miles r/t from GRB)...

anyway...how many days you plan?..butt burner?...can be done...watch for moose at night...pretty lonely between Marathon and Wawa...

if you have time check out Ouimet Canyon and Silver Islet area

Id blow thru nippigon and maybe stay in Terrace Bay instead....

my old ride reports here for other info

have a safe ride...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98072

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93024
  3. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last summer I did it once each way starting in Duluth. A ride like this is best done more than once because there is so much to see and it's important to make time to meet people and hang out along the lake. I have a ride report on here somewhere.
    I planned to camp every night but provinvcial parks often charged better than 30.00 CDN to camp, in addition to entry fees.
  4. judjonzz

judjonzz Beastly

Oddometer:
    I have always done it clockwise, in order to keep the lake on my right. I figure if I'm going to veer out of my lane while rubbernecking, I have a better chance of surviving a plunge into a ravine than a head-on collision. Next time, I'm going to do it the other way round, so I don't miss Copper Harbor and the Keeweenaw Peninsula. Usually, by the time I get to Marquette or Escanaba, the long weekend is almost over, I can smell the barn and just deadhead back to the Cities.

So be sure to get pics of Copper Harbor, to remind me what I have been missing.
  5. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I'd vote for clockwise also. Its a pretty good ride and like Bandito said, take your time to meet people and see the sights. When we did it, we did it late season and most of the campgrounds were fairly deserted and we had the places to ourselves for the most part. We camped 4 nights and didn't spend a dime for camping, you just gotta look around a little.

Here is the ride report from when cannonshot and I did it this fall:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167401

Hey Jud, aint nothing to see around Copper Harbor :evil
    [​IMG]
  6. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave Chad...hey....happy holidays..

BTW...this is some funny stuff mang :lol3

[​IMG]