1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Best way of tieing down a fuel bladder

Discussion in 'Australia' started by El Ponkin, Jul 15, 2011.

1. El Ponkin

El Ponkin Bloodrunner

Oddometer:
    Need ideas on the best way to tie down a 10 litre fuel bladder.
    I tried it yesterday in one of my Andy Straps Panniers but I only have the lightweight pannier frames and the bladder looks too heavy for it all.
    I didn't want to carry the weight up high but I guess the only option is strapping it on top of my tent roll on the back of the seat.
    So whats the best way of tieing it down, on carribeenas through the loops or ye big old ratchet strap straight over the bag a couple of times.

Andy
  2. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    I am in the same position so was going to do the same - on the tent roll behind me but using straps not clips so it can be adjusted??
  3. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't own a bladder but plan to buy one... I'd use the eyelets *and* a couple of straps over the top. Seems the eyelets would be more secure, but I'd be worried about one of them failing.
  4. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    How far back are you putting your luggage on the seat/rear rack?

I usually put them on the seat behind me and tie them on to my bed roll/top box.

If it is only one 10l one it only has to be on for about 1 1/2 before you can empty it.
  5. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Calling Goosefeather to the Batphone!

He's done it on the way to Birdsville!
  6. Joe Watson

Joe Watson Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I strap mine down I use a mini bungie net over all the stuff, but it is also tied down with the main strapping system too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I use 4 el cheapo snap clips and run a couple of straps through them.

The wieght is high but the 990 gets through fuel pretty quickly so it's not there for long. Normally I don't have that much stuff in the duffle bag and it sits down better.

[​IMG]
  8. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    2 bladders for my big girl Birdsville to Windorah
  9. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Until needed for the final leg, I carried the bladder empty in a pannier bag. When filled, I used cheap webbing straps and laced them through the loops.

Travelling light, filled with fuel (put a tarp between rack and bladder due to paranoia about chafing):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Travelling heavier on the return - full of water, trying to "defume" the bladder:

[​IMG]
  10. bully1

bully1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    cable tie it through the eyelets on top of your seat area, once you use it you can roll it up and put it elsewhere. On the GS I remove the rear seat and cabletie it to the rack that is left behind , then put my AAbagz on top, only have to take it off when I REALLY need to use the fuel.

rule 1 : the only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire.
  11. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Andy, would 2 x 5 litre bladders be easier to carry, one in each Andy Strapp pannier?

Bit late for you on your trip but thinking along these lines myself, is it easier to carry a couple of smaller ones than one large one that is harder to strap on or find a place for it?
  12. emil55

emil55 sponsors needed...

Oddometer:
    but I'll add mine. Got no photos handy but I use one of those cheap canvas army duffel bag things that's got backpack type straps. Loop the backpack straps through some pannier frame or something, stuff 1 or 2 10L bladders in and some wee bits of rope over it - bloody hard to buck off.
  13. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say the opposite- it's easier to use one that's too big and only partially fill it, rest it on the seat with the excess flap rolled up or just sit it over the seat and it makes its own pannier. I strap it using a couple of bungies across the middle, and if I'm going to be riding sand I tie the corners- again using bungies. I guess it helps to have the stronger turtle pack so you don't need to worry about chafing etc. I think I have about 15 litres in this pic.

I remember terrry using 2 x 20 litre turtle packs in his andstraps panniers , trouble was he needed to empty them equally otherwise the bike ends up out of balance.

Attached Files:

14. gkNQ

gkNQ Northern Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a rock strp through the bottom loops to the front of my rack and another rock strap through the top loops to the back of my rack. The bag does not move at all

gk

[​IMG]
  15. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    My experience with the bladder was that it holds the fuel in well, but not the fumes. Anything sharing the inside of a pannier with a full (or recently full) bladder will, unfortunately, get smelly.
  16. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    That's pretty much how I carry mine. Works well.
  17. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Kaney how was your trip? Still spewing I missed out.
  18. Diggar

Diggar GP Winner

Oddometer:
    My 8 litre bladder leaked as I was filling it up in Carnarvon on the way to Gascoyne Junction.I had to cut short my trip through there as a result,but not deterred am going back,this time with 5 litre containers as a backup.My confidence shaken with fuel bladders.
  19. Afterdark

Afterdark Gnarled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What brand was it Diggar? New,secondhand,borrowed?
  20. Diggar

Diggar GP Winner

Oddometer:
    Newish,only used twice,unfortunately let me down first time in anger.I have returned to the people I purchased from over east and I hope we can sort things out.Pity about the trip though,but it is always about the journey ,not the destination.