Best WINTER RUKKA JACKET.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ago.xr, Nov 15, 2009.

1. ago.xr

ago.xr il più lontano possibile

Oddometer:
  2. arres

arres Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All Rukka products are top quality. You will never go wrong with any of them. So you should buy which fits to your wallet :)
  3. K2vodka

K2vodka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Rukka Allroad and took it about a month ago on a 2600 mile trip from Boise to Chicago. The temperatures varied from 70+ F down to about 30F (snow falling and sticking to the grass in the Black Hills).

I was cooking if I wasn't moving in 70F with liner in.

I was comfortable around 30F with Underarmour Cold weather mock turtle neck, Arc' Teryx wind proof jacket, and Gerry down vest. No fairing, on Husaberg so no wind protection.

The cold did get to me when I was caught by the remnants of a hurricane that was blowing itself out coming up out of Baja. I finally hopped on an expressway (I-80) since I wanted to make up time and the best roads I felt were behind me.

I had been running 70 mph plus many times before but I think it was the high winds that would get me chilled after an hour of pouring rain in the low 40's.

My plans are to ride throughout this winter in the city and this is one of the jackets I plan to wear. When the likelyhood of crashing is especially high I will probably opt for an enduro jacket or a leather that already has some personality. I have a couple of Dainese D-stone jackets that I was also planning to use for this but they are proving to be too aereated.

The Allroad was Christened about a hundred miles into the trip on a beautiful, icy, Idaho mountain road. I was a little lazy and didn't hang off, leaning it over instead. The front end washed out as the pavement changed from some type of gray colored combination to an all black version.

The wrist did wear through the exterior material but the other layers were intact. The material over a pocket button cover wore slightly through.

My attitude on winter apparel is that the outer jacket must significantly break the wind and then layers take you to the lower temperatures.

I think Chitown Rider did a write up on an Armax suit that he wore all the way up to artic. You should be able to find it using the "search" function.

Best of luck in finding something that makes you content.

Cheers!

Kosta
  4. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Kosta,
    Whats your opinion on wear an Allroad in summer months ? I'm thinking of getting one for all year use.
    Frank
  5. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Ride Magazine did a 12 waterproof textile suit comparison some years back.

The suits were judged on abrasion, burst strength, waterproofness, impact and warmth.

Points were earned for each category and then added for a final score.

The results were very interesting.

From most points to least

1. Hein Gericke master V GTX Proshell
    2. Aerostich Roadcrafter
    3. Weise Dynastar 11/Psycho
    4. BMW Streetguard 2
    5. Held Oasis/Dakar
    6. Halvarssons Medusa/Cobra
    7. Rukka Armax
    8. Dainese Panama/Hooper
    9. Alpinestar Jet Road Gore-tex
    10. Spada Highland / Milan
    11. Buffalo Rocket / Imola
    12. Frank Thomas Force Aqua Advance

This comparison is still floating around on the net if anyone wants to see how each suit scored in each individual category.
  6. Trophy Mike

Trophy Mike w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer:
  7. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Mike, whats the best all around adventure style Rukka ? Good for summer months too ? Is the Allroad still in the lineup ?
  8. castle-of-teck

castle-of-teck DL1000 A

Oddometer:
    For all-season i would try a AirVAntage. Have one 4 myself, waterPROOF even for 6hours+ and available in red n blue also.
    Has a integrated vent function which works even when speed is low, Z-Liner can be unzipped and wears like a tee :clap

Winter/Mountain Passed : There´s somehow a air system integrated in the Z-Liner, which u can pump up with breate air, and that gives isolation for your body down to 40´s.

Rode it ~50.000k´s until now in 3 Seasons, still really happy.

Of course, it´s not cheap :evil but IMHO worth every buck.
  9. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    As just mentioned the Rukka AirVision is the best all-around due to its extreme temperature range. Unfortunately it has been already discontinued though we still have a few pieces left. It is not being directly replaced so you might need two outfits to cover an entire four seasons, AiRoad for hot to cool, Armas for warm to cold use. The Rukka Allroad is no longer available in 2010 which leaves the new models Kalahari and Gobi its nearest alternatives. Still, if you were in the market for a straight Cordura like the Allroad we highly recommend moving up to the Armas. More expensive but considering its unparalleled protection (Armacor Kevlar/Cordura) plus other features, worth it.
  10. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Mike,
    Does the Arma offer ventilation like the Allroad ? Barring the Airvision, AllRoad, Arma & Kalahari. Which kit has the best venting ?
    Very difficult not being able to see it. Rukka should have better detailed photos outside of the pretty boy models ya know ?
  11. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    Here's the ventilation breakdown.
    Armas - openings with zippers in front on both shoulders
    Kalahari - back, sides and arms
    Gobi - armpits
    There is no absolute best in this area with each jackets' ventilation close to comparable. For the record Rukka does not sacrifice construction integrity and waterproofness for the sake of air vents. If all out airflow is required try to get one of the last AirVisions or get the new AiRoad and supplement it for occasional colder climes.
  12. Nocer

Nocer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To bump this thread. :)
    Im looking for a new suit since my old suit is leaking more and more.

Rukka seems to be a good quality suit and was especially looking for the Armas and Kalahari model. The Armas for being really waterproof (outer goretex liner?) and the kalahari for the improved ventilation options for the warm days.

My question to people with experience with these suits:

How waterproof is the kalahari? Im not looking forward to a suit that leaks all over the floor when wet. But I think thats unavoidable (at least, unless it has an outer liner right?). But it needs to keep me dry and be able to have a good ventilation on the warm days. For the winter (I ride all year) it needs to be able to warm me a bit. I dress in layers (learned that from mountainbiking) in the winter, so I wouldnt be demanding something that is cool in summer and warm in winter (I do not think such thing excists?).

Any advise and experience? :)
  13. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    It'd be nice to be able to try on all the Rukka choices before spending such a large amount of $$$.
    Does anyone in the US carry such an assortment?

ktm950se
  14. Speed King

Speed King Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got a new Armas. It's freakin' incredible. I researched long and hard before I pulled the trigger and I'm very happy with my choice. I was not looking for something to wear in the summer when I got this as I already have that base covered.
  15. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    Though we can't feature every Rukka garment we do stock and offer exchange and return on the Armas. Also with the hot weather nearly over we are looking toward Spring when we will unveil our latest Rukka pick for those climes. In the meantime we do have one AirVision jacket left men's size 60 euro/50 US at close-out price. AirVision trousers are still manufactured and available. Sizing questions welcomed.
  16. Nocer

Nocer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Armas seem great for autumn, spring and winter weather. :) But the ventilation on the Kalahari is nice as well... choices...choices....
    What I wonder... does the Goretex outer liner prevent the water to soak up in the suit? Thats my biggest complain with such suits.... its only dripping and leaking.
  17. Trophy Mike

Oddometer:
    The Armas absorbs very little water because its Gore-Tex laminate is thin and close to the surface of the textile. As stated previously here and on other threads its Armacor (Cordura Kevlar mix) and Gore Lock-Out toothless zipper system puts it way above and ahead of other garments including Rukka's own Kalahari.
  18. dogfm

dogfm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Armas replaced it - is the new closure that much better? I m looking at the Armas, Edison or sllghtly older tech SRO Anatomic. I don't ride a sports bike so maybe Armas is best but I like the sounds of the armour in the Edison/SRO.
    It can get fairly hot here in the UK one or two days but is it worth paying for the Cool Black if I have the outlast liners ... etc I think all have Armacor,
  19. fxavant

fxavant fxavant

Oddometer:
    Try with the new Rukka Armas. I´ve never seen such quality in a jacket. I´ve used it with heavy rain and with low ( very low! ) and the result was excellent.

100% waterproof and 100% breathable:clap :clap :clap