BETA 2-Stroke Thread. 250RR, 300RR, X-Trainer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ToriMish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. St.AndrewsRider

St.AndrewsRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. Good stuff hereMight order an FMF, their silencers are always pretty decent. Fairly common seeing rangers check equipment here in WA - half the places I go are in the North Cascades... which is pretty much a moonscape at this point due to more fires.
  2. St.AndrewsRider

Oddometer:
    Love this analysis, all the reasons why I'm interested in this bike vs. the RR. If I wanna go fast I have another enduro bike to do that, but sometimes its exhausting to navigate switchbacks and certain terrain on a heavier 4 stroke. Sometimes bopping around like a hooligan is just as fun as fast paced riding, lol.
    justBert and Bitingdog like this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    There's very little I don't like. Mainly that it's not fuel injected. And because of that, lower range than I'd like on the stock tank. Otherwise, it's a brilliant bike.

The OEM canister is not USFS approved, as mentioned. You will need an aftermarket solution. I run an FMF turbine core and love it.

Mousse > Tubliss. You don't want the latter failing you out in the boonies. It's way more hassle than it's worth. Very few in my region run it; you either see mousse, which is what I run, or HD tubes.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tublis vs moose,if you ride a variety of conditions like narly singletrack one week and some high speed stuff the next week tubless is great as you can adjust your pressure.If you are dedicated to one type of riding moose is great and you can pick soft moose inserts or drill them out.I have run both and if tubless if properly set up(chamfer the holes and clean the rim)is what I use now for real nasty stuff.A big thing is tire selection with tubless.I run shinko 525 or Kenda ibex in back.Some tires like the michilen don't like tublis because of week side walls.At this time because of covid ibex(slightly better than 525 shinko but wears faster)is hard to get.On a sex trainer I would run a soft moose or a tubless if mainly riding real nasty tech stuff.If side wall rips are a issue were you are run a moose.For fuel range jetting is a big thing.A carb bike can get almost as good mileage as efi but takes a little work.I personally like a carb better because they have a better off idle response and just raising the needle one click turns it smooth like a efi for no money.There are many jetting solutions but a jd kit works great even though there starting specs are rich.I run stock jetting on my current 21 300 RR which is a tad rich even at 1000 ft but the bike still tractors up stupid hills I make bad line choices on.You can jet for milage or power but hard to get both.I took test rides on various beta,s to see what I liked.for my riding the 300 race fit the bill but I had to settle for a 300 RR(I wanted the kyb forks).I road the sex trainer but main issue was it felt to small for my grape ape body.The forks are definitely made for below 4rd gear nasty terrain but suffer in high speed stuff as there just to small and you feel them flexing if you push them in corners at speed.That bike is made to conquer nasty almost trials bike terrain.Lets talk about seat lol.I ordered a tall seat from seat covers 7 weeks ago and still not here.I have race mx,flat track and a hell of a lot of offroad (for over 30 years)and a good seat is awesome.When your beat to shit and drool is falling down and your licking your snot and can not get on the pegs because your beat to hell a good seat is truly awesome.The main thing is set up bike for YOU.Don,t read all the on line stuff but set up for you.If you are in a area that requires a lot of hill climbing run steg pegs is a example.I hate the damn things as they catch me when I get flung off my bike but love them as they keep my arm pump low.I can't wait to give the ok to order them for my beta when my wife forgive,s me for buying it lol.
  5. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Junglejeff1 saved me a lot of typing. Had tubliss on my 390 for ~15,000 miles, rode everything from the TAT to single track, I've replaced one bladder due to stem pull on a tire change, my fault. Tubliss is going on my new to me 2019 XT as soon as I can find the 18" kit.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the same boat on my new bike.I have been trying to get a 18" tubless for 2 months now.I am also waiting on a tall seat from seat concepts I ordered July 21st.
    justBert likes this.
  7. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i received my two s/c complete seats ~4 months after placing my order w/ them. I think b/c i ordered them in april, at the beginning of riding season when just about all aftermarkets get swamped w/ orders, they were in catch up mode.

but w/ tubliss, they're made & shipped out of china, iirc....the shipping container industry is still all upside down w/ their logistics due to covid, hurricanes, barges getting stuck sideways in the canals...
  8. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my unsolicited $0.02.....
    Adjust the float, almost every Beta has a case of the dribbles from the float being set too high. This is where much of the fuel economy is lost to. While you are at it, toss in a JD Jetting kit. The bike runs really clean then.
    As stated, you will need the FMF silencer for the spark arrestor. If you do need the forks tuned for weight (my issue) or riding style, Arron at AMP (All Moto Performance in MT) is a good contact.
    Everything else is bling or ergo changes as you get to know the bike.

BobcatSig, Junglejeff1 and justBert like this.
  9. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most everyone I ride with (including justBert) runs Tubeliss. I've never had an issue even when swapping used tires around. A Seat Concepts seat is mandatory on any Beta I own...... I can't stand up all day and my ass is allergic to the stock seat.

Fixing the cylinder head squish either with machine work or a new head makes a world of difference in gas mileage and fixes that off idle blubber. I recommend Kelsey's (RK Tech) high comp head. The one with the 14.5 stamped on it.

I don't know anything about the XT suspension but if it has the same shock on it that comes on the '21 300's it will jack hammer your back. Way too much hi speed compression and the clickers have zero effect. Aaron at All Moto does a masterful job of making that shock work like it's supposed to.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am definitely going to work over my suspension this winter.Putting the proper 5.6 spring on just made it worse.It works decent when I am going fast but beats the hell out of me in the rough.My bike doesn't seem to have any bog and runs pretty good.It is a little rich so will tighten the jetting up some.This winter will pop the head and guessing way to little squish.I don't need any more power but getting the squish right makes crisp jetting easy.Always had that issue on yz,250,s as stock squish was ussaully around .072" and they pinged alot when run hard.
  11. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the new head require the use of higher octane fuel?
  12. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
  13. Rob578

Oddometer:
    The 14.5 does, I use 50/50 mixture of C12 and pump gas. I had a lower compression RK Tech head on my 2015 and it ran fine on 87 pump gas.
    NoelJ likes this.
  14. Rob578

Oddometer:
    I agree, but I think it would be fine for the occasional need.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  15. St.AndrewsRider

Oddometer:
    Well, I've had a little time to digest some of everyone's suggestions about x-trainer parts and accessories. Made a short list here it goes: FMF turbincore 2.1/spark arrestor, Beta style shark fin, EE skid plate, Bulletproof radiator guards, NEXT bar deflectors (already have a spare set) and SC seat. Granted any of these parts are available.

I wanna ride it a bit and see what else it's going to need as far as suspension for my lard butt and maybe (depending on how tuning goes) a Lectron carb. A tubliss kit sounds like it's worth it but from everyone mentioning that the 18" rear kits are in short supply then might have to wait on that.

One more thing.. are the x-trainers pre-wired for signals or is there additional hardware needed?

Thanks
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    Yes to pre-wiring ... there are connectors under the headlight shroud and a set under the right side plastics.

But if you do add lights, let me know if the dash indicators are reversed, like on mine (i.e. move lever to the right, and the right indicator blinks, but on the dash unit the left indicator lights up, and vice versa).
    St.AndrewsRider likes this.
  18. St.AndrewsRider

Oddometer:
    Gonna try and do blinkers and horn then brake light switch.

Not sure if the signal wires to the main harness and indicator bezel are simple single connections or a plug connector. To reverse the indicator to correspond with the correct signal might be as simple as separating the pins from the connector and reversing their location. NorskieRider, ill give an update on this when I go to do it.
  19. St.AndrewsRider

Oddometer:
  20. NorskieRider

Oddometer:
    I suspect that's the case and is a project I'll tackle in the future ... didn't want to make any changes while it was under warranty. I find it interesting that the wiring diagram corresponds to what is on the bike, so either there's an issue with the Vaportech dash unit or the wiring diagram/design is incorrect from Beta. I'm curious if others are having this issue, but not many put blinkers on their XT's it seems...