BETA 2-Stroke Thread. 250RR, 300RR, X-Trainer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ToriMish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Ultracrepidarian

Oddometer:
    If you do get the Fisch, you'll want the smaller one. I got the "Kit 25 (25.5mm-29.4mm)" ... IIRC I measured the stock outlet at about 29mm but I suspect it's not perfectly round and had to use a hammer to get it about halfway in and needed to be pried out with a screwdriver. I expect the next smaller size "Kit 20 (20.0mm-25.4mm)" would be much easier to remove and insert but will also restrict the exhaust even more.

I didn't use it long enough for it to clog, and as I usually don't have any splooge I'm not sure there would be much in there to clog it. Either way, if it's easy to remove it's easy to put a torch to it and burn off the oil once in a while.
    Rob578 and CDN Rick like this.
  3. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    You have a Keihin PWK carburetor. There's nothing easier to tune, and the 300 isn't really finicky anyhow. The book gets you pretty darned close. But as someone else suggested, set your float properly, 98% chance it's too high. Better to go 1-2 mm lower than specced for a woods bike, otherwise you'll be too blubbery off idle, stall when pointing steep downhill, and likely spilling more fuel than you burn
  4. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the PWK, might want to try a NECJ or NECK needle. Some folks swear by the JD needles but I've never had any luck with them.
  5. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Love the linear throttle response of the NECJ Suzuki needle
  6. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's beginning to look like this 2 stroke business is a lot more complicated than I knew.....lots to learn so keep it coming.
  7. Rob578

Oddometer:
    Are you in the 2T business now?
  8. justBert

justBert Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 2019 X-Trainer a couple of weeks ago and I am trying to get sorted out by Perry Mountain. I may do some riding at Brown Mountain this weekend since I'll be in the neighborhood. I'm thinking I need to put you and @shortman on my speed dial.
  9. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm around Bert so gimme a holler.... I'll gladly help anyway I can....
    justBert likes this.
  10. Rob578

Oddometer:
    No problem!
    justBert likes this.
  11. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    I know you know this BD, but just a note since some here aren’t as familiar with smokers. That needle **may** work fine in many 300’s. Please do NOT suggest it for 250cc Beta bikes. It’s way too lean for them. I personally do not find it works well in my terrain or riding.

Either way it is NOT a “one size fits all solution”

Optimal carburetor settings vary based on altitude, temperature, and humidity, as well as rider style and preference. There is no right size fits all, unless the other rider is riding the same terrain as you on the same day, right beside you, on the identical bike.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really, don't fix what is not broken.Many of us on these forums are gear heads and like fine tuning our bikes.Only thing I have done to mine so far is put proper suspension springs on, sticky tires for my riding conditions and protection pieces because when I crash I do it right.Its riding season and bike works decent out of the box so I'm burning gas and hauling ass till snow fly,s.Ride it as much as possible before you go changing stuff so you can zero in on things you want better for the condition,s you ride.The X is a awesome bike out of the box if your riding knarly stuff.
    justBert likes this.
  13. Rob578

Oddometer:
    I thought it went without saying that you need to match the main and pilot to the needle you're using especially if you switch to a completely different series. The PWK's aren't nearly as finicky as the Mikunis, there's no need to rejet just because the wind changes direction.
    Bitingdog, Junglejeff1 and CDN Rick like this.
  14. mtbdemon

mtbdemon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode my first Beta's over the weekend 200, 250, 300 Race and Xtrainer. I thought I would like the 200 more, but I have to admit that both 300's I really liked. Now I want one, but which one? I'm leaning for the Xtrainer as I am old and slow, but dong that 300 race was so nice!!!
    GlennR, justBert and Junglejeff1 like this.
  15. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Too right. Definitely not good on a 250 unless it's in the Colorado Rockies
    CDN Rick and BobcatSig like this.
  16. Marley'sDad

Marley'sDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the 2021 300 RR and I can say without reservation that it is the perfect bike. I am in Colorado, and I ride single track, rocky high mountain passes, and easier stuff like dirt mesas around Pueblo. That bike does it all soooo well. I love it! You can't go wrong with the 300RR.
  17. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    Trying to replace the starter on my friend's X-Trainer 300. Trying to do it without dropping the engine 20210912_215951.jpg
  18. St.AndrewsRider

St.AndrewsRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rehashing this thought after a few days and noting some of the other carburetor replies since then. So what are a few main jet sizes and needles to have on hand for the PWK carb JIC? Typically gonna be riding 2500-4500' elevation milder cooler temps going into fall. Been out of the loop for a while my current bike is EFI and my last carb bike was mikuni vm.

BTW, got the call last week! My x-trainer is in! Gonna pick it up in a couple days when my sparky arrives and some other goodies.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Bitingdog

Oddometer:
    I'd ballpark it at 38 pilot, NECJ needle 3rd clip, 155 main jet. 1.5-2.0 turns out on the air screw, with float height verified
  20. St.AndrewsRider

St.AndrewsRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very good! I'll give that a shot. Gonna check the float when I get it home. Thanks
    Bitingdog likes this.