BETA 2-Stroke Thread. 250RR, 300RR, X-Trainer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ToriMish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the other levers available from Beta are longer, both Hammerhead and their "HD" shifter. I wear size 12 boots, and went with the Hammerhead (they have them on the Beta website). I had the "HD" on my last 300RR and it was okay, but like the Hammerhead better. They're listed as "0", "10", and "20". The 10 lever is 5mm longer than stock, the 20 is 15mm longer (arm length). Both have longer tips than stock, and sit about 15-20mm further out from the side cover. I used the "20" lever. Plenty of space, but have to be careful where you index it or you'll touch the chain on the upshift with a 15 tooth countershaft (stock on the 200RR). I indexed mine one tooth too high and moved it down one tooth initially. Works fine, and it was great when I raced it. It holds up to drops very well. So far, no complaints with large boots.
    Mow-ree likes this.
  2. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got 250 hours or so riding my 2016 Xtrainer with size 12 Gaerne boots. I run Fastway footpegs mounted in the "lowboy" position, which puts them a bit lower and rearward compared to stock. I don't have any issues shifting with this setup, but then again I don't remember any shifting problems with the stock setup either. My primary reason for going to the Fastway pegs was to drop them a bit to accommodate my long legs. But I probably do hit a few more rocks with the lower pegs.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog and Traveller128 like this.
  3. aleksbaron

aleksbaron Blessed with Purpose Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you share the fitment and pegs part numbers? I am 6'1 and have the long leg issue too, so I could definitely use a drop, any bits helps.]
  4. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    I was thinking I would go with the hammerhead as well, with the pegs lowered and this it should help. Feet are huge with the boots on, I have to use the edge up of the boot to shift.
  5. Traveller128

Traveller128 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't like using the edge of my boot, did that with the stock shifter.

I have the same set WWguy has on my 450 and really like them, along with a slightly longer shifter which works very well. I'm still debating lowering the pegs on the 200, and if I do I'll be using the same ones. I like the Fastway pegs.
    Bitingdog and Mow-ree like this.
  6. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the link for the pegs that fit my bike. I'm pretty sure that all Beta pegs are the same, but if unsure you can choose your specific model year from the dropdown menu.

I prefer the Evolution 4 pegs for style and durability, but all feature the adjustable feature I mentioned.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog and Traveller128 like this.
  7. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU!
    wwguy likes this.
  8. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Size 13 boot here, 300RR, get the Trojan magnum (hammerhead +20).
    aleksbaron likes this.
  9. N8

N8 I prefer my pumpkin with a blue & white mask. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're wearing SG-10's, the toe box is significantly larger than SG-12's. Don't tell @Navin but I used to get many more miss-shifts with the SG-10's. Disclaimer, I ride a Husky, but the SG-12's & SG-10's are quite a bit different in the toes.
    Navin likes this.
  10. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    A/C
  11. aleksbaron

Oddometer:

I have SG12s but if the 10s have a bigger toe box, but holy crap I thought the SG12s were huge.
  12. B00ST00

B00ST00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who is the go to for beta suspensions? Looking to respring/ revalve my 17’ 300rr. I’m in MD but shipping isn’t an issue.
  13. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    after hours cycle
  14. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    There is a place near Westminster MD. Some of the DAMN guys that race use them. I can't remember the name of the place. Ask over on the DAMNsite and they will tell you.
    B00ST00 likes this.
  15. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    Preface:

I am attempting these pop wheelies on my xtrainer and am having great difficulty. Other than practice is there something I can do mechanically that would help ie throttle cable, clutch adjustment. I feel like from compressing the fork I can't get the throttle up fast enough or the clutch to grab snappier to pop the front wheel.
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Im very familiar w/ that video, I found it very helpful.

I also have an Xtrainer. I can bring the front wheel up fairly well just like the video instructs. I dont use any clutch at all.

It might be helpful to have someone video you practicing. Sometimes when learning something new you THINK you are following the steps/doing it right. But the video may show something very diffrrent.

Goodluck, keep it up. It might just be the timing. When you get it right, its great!
    Bitingdog and NJ-Bill like this.
  17. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Opinions on using the X-Trainer for transportation connecting 2 difficult points

Quick scenario: There's a camp in the jungle and it's about 50 miles/80KM to "civilization" and we often need to go back and forth. The journey is mostly single track, twice we cross deep rivers using bamboo rafts, often we have to drag a bike on it's side when the "road" is blocked by massive clumps of bamboo falling down making a canopy about 4' high covering the trail.

My question/goal isn't so much about having fun, (though I do! :lol3) but what's the fastest/most practical way to connect the 2 points?

Currently the locals often walk - 2-3 long days, take mules (seriously) - 2 days. The fastest common way for the locals to do the route is using their 100kg, 100-125cc local scooters with knobby tires on them. Typically 6 guys will ride 3 bikes - 2 per bike. When it gets a bit rough, the passenger gets off and walks or pushes. When it gets really rough, there are 6 guys to get each bike over, thru or around the obstacle. They usually get it done in 6 hours or so. (I've never seen locals do it on mountain bikes but imagine it wouldn't be much slower.)

When I do it I'm on my +/- 320 lb, KLX250. (With 351cc bb/KX250 suspension, 4 gallon tank and beefy subframe/pannier racks). Alone it usually takes me about 3 hours if I'm pushing it, but compared to the locals I'm tall, strong and a good rider. My bike is too tall (custom KX suspension makes it about 2 1/2" taller than stock) and heavy for the majority of them - men probably average 5'5".

Anyways - sorry for the long question! A good deal came up on a thrashed 2016 in Thailand and I was contemplating getting it and leaving it with them as an emergency vehicle for getting in and out fast. Looking at the numbers it seems like an ideal bike for tough routes like that. But issues I wonder about are reliability - they're not known for taking good care of stuff and fuel is low quality, range? Options to increase range? Also I know they'd want to pack it down with lots of stuff :lol3

Any thoughts?
  18. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is what concerns me. - But issues I wonder about are reliability - they're not known for taking good care of stuff and fuel is low quality, range? Options to increase range? Also I know they'd want to pack it down with lots of stuff :lol3

I own a XT and never put low quality fuel in it. I don't think it is designed for that. If they don't stay on top of adding oil to the tank, you know what happens. Given these conditions, I think a CRF230 or KLX140 would be safer options.

Bucho, rickypanecatyl and mode12 like this.
  19. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Practice on soft ground.............
    mode12 and aleksbaron like this.
  20. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    I'm confused, is it not a quick blip of throttle so clutch control is critical here? I assume a quick release of the clutch and then pull in after I have the wheel up to prevent a full backward tipover.