BETA 2-Stroke Thread. 250RR, 300RR, X-Trainer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ToriMish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. mode12

mode12 frageelay Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s all in the timing. It takes very little throttle if the timing is correct.

Bounce on the foot pegs. Tug the bars as the front end is coming back upwards. Give a touch of throttle. Wheel comes right up.

Covering the clutch is good, but make sure you are covering the rear brake, a quick tap on that will stop “over-rotation” much better.
    Bucho and aleksbaron like this.
  2. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find that I have to start the blip as I am applying the bounce on the pegs, so that bike reacts to the rebound and the rear tire is biting. It is a timing thing, from there, cover the rear brake and a finger on the clutch.
    I hope this helps

aleksbaron likes this.
  3. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! I was actually thinking how would it compare to the KLX140 if your goal is just transportation - getting from point A to point B. That's the most common "dirt bike" here - actually the KLX150 - like the 140 but with lights and street gear.
  4. aleksbaron

aleksbaron Blessed with Purpose Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must be blind but my om for 2015 xtrainer states to look for a table on the side for adjustment of the rear shock, what side?! IMG_20190916_184747.jpg
  5. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I'm at work now. I'll try to take a picture for you tomorrow when I get home.
    aleksbaron likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    First off, I don't claim to be any sort of an expert. (I recently bought a trials bike so now I really now how bad I suck...)

I do it pretty much just like they say in the video.
    I'm in first gear and just rolling very slowly. The clutch is out, (I may be covering it but I'm not using the clutch). I use my legs and almost sort of "jump" to bounce the suspension. As the front forks rebound I just give it throttle. I try to cover the rear brake to make sure I don't loop it.

I think its the timing. When you get it, it works.
    mode12 likes this.
  7. aleksbaron

Oddometer:

Look at minute 3 of the video, the stopped wheelie is what I am after.
  8. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    Same as for Bucho, minute 3 of the video is what I am after, standing still wheelie
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Can you do wheelie while rolling? I think this is the easiest way to do it.

For the stopped wheelie when you are sitting on the bike w/ a foot down, I think the timing it a little harder to get right. Because now you are timing THREE things. (rebound of suspension, throttle, and clutch)

In reality using that type of a wheelie on the trail its much easier with an obstacle. I use more of a "seat bounce" technique rather than compressing the front forks (though that will work too)

Try this: Find some sort of obstacle (log/rock/whatever). Ride right up to it. Put your front wheel up against it. Have both your feet down. I bounce all my weight down and compress the rear shock. This pushes the rear wheel into the ground and flattens it out a little. This provides excellent traction and should keep your rear wheel from just spinning. While the rear suspension is compressed, rev up the bike and do a controlled drop of the clutch. If you time it right, your rear tire should have enough traction. Your front tire should easily climb right up the obstacle. As the front wheel pops up a foot or two, pull in the clutch and let the front wheel (or maybe skid plate depending on how large the obstacle is) land on the top of the obstacle. Then just roll over it.

One tip to make this easier is to run very low pressure in the rear tire. Even if you are running regular tubes, air down to 5-6 lbs for this practice.
    mode12, ToriMish and shrubitup like this.
  10. aleksbaron

Oddometer:

Thank you for the tips, I run about 3-5psi with tubliss. I'll try a bigger obstacle as I was using a small rock as a starter. I have found that using the front brake helps compress the fork better but getting on the throttle and then clutch is tough. I am think the throttle could use adjustment because it takes a quarter turn just for the motor to start revving up, I may have to look at my throttle cable.
    Bucho likes this.
  11. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I did a trials school a few years ago I haven't integrated many trials techniques into my riding. I'm dumb that way. If I'm trying to get over, say, a big log on a trail ride (where speed is not important) I'll stop about a foot from the log and just whack the throttle open to lift the front wheel onto the log. I've got a video of me doing just that on a 2' thick or so log. I've also got a vid of me applying more of a trials technique on the same log. I can throw them on YouTube if you'd like to see them.
  12. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Is that the technical term?
    mode12 likes this.
  13. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    PlowHand likes this.
  14. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why yes, yes it is.
    Bucho and Pez Rojo like this.
  15. aleksbaron

Oddometer:
    Can anyone else assist please?
  16. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Typical Italian manual translated to English. Probably meant the + and - symbols seen on the shock adjustment dial, right side of bike.
  17. aleksbaron

Oddometer:

You mean they meant to say 'see image' to the right?
  18. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bit of footage on a ride in the Aussie high country. Riding with Lisa on an X-Trainer and Allan on a Husaberg 570. Life is good!
    mode12 and Bucho like this.
  19. ToriMish

ToriMish Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh and another one in the sand just last Saturday. Was a fundraiser ride for mens health and mental health :
    Bucho and STRich like this.
  20. B00ST00

B00ST00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running a JD jet kit? Just installed and set up the way they suggest (0-3000) on my 17’ with OI.

Stock i was seeing a ton of residue on the silencer.

59124100548__C3ECFE5B-2C79-43E2-91A9-1F0F10116EC4.JPG