BETA 2-Stroke Thread. 250RR, 300RR, X-Trainer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ToriMish, Feb 4, 2017.

1. gots_a_sol

gots_a_sol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the 2020 race editions are going to have kyb forks :thumb
    Bucho likes this.
  2. Marylander

Marylander Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh, interesting. Seems like they'd go to kyb shocks then too. I wonder if they'll do a 200 RE...
  3. shortman

shortman Beta 390rr, XT300 Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the jetting thing.... Been reading a very interesting thread over on Thumper Talk about this... Those guys are keen on the NECJ and the CEK needles... I've ordered both to give them a go... I've had the JD "red" needle in for sometime and it seemed fine but you never know it's perfect until you try something else....

@B00ST00
    The oil you use in the injector tank can be part of the spooge issue... If you're using something with a higher flash point and ride really show technical stuff then that can cause excessive spooge because the oil isn't all getting burned.
    B00ST00 likes this.
  4. murpsprin

murpsprin Trials and errors

Oddometer:
    I have one on my 19 300 with OI. Mid and top are great. But I'm still not happy with the off idle richness and still get some pinging and pipe bang when closing the throttle quickly.
  5. shortman

Oddometer:
    I'm getting the exact same thing.... The guys over on Thumper Talk were discussing this very thing and the change in needles / slide cutout to help cure this, as well as, improve the low RPM throttle response.
  6. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also run the JD kit on my XT. I usually end up dropping the needle 1 more clip and I went with the #7 slide. It runs pretty clean for the woods here in MN. When we go to Utah, the recommended settings work great. I will get just a bit of oil on the silencer if I am riding a bunch of technical trails.

7. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    yes, follow the chart and it will run amazing!

Definitely adjust your float height first though
    STRich likes this.
  8. aleksbaron

aleksbaron Blessed with Purpose Supporter

Oddometer:
    What tooth # front and rear sprockets are any of you using for the Xtrainer? I am finding that I have mid-range torque but would like more oomph when trying to do my stand still wheelie pivot turns. Right now I am at 13 front and 51 rear. Of course it could be me. I have gone ahead and added a MWE clutch lever to help reduce fatigue and release the clutch faster to help try to pop the front wheel up.
  9. Rob578

Rob578 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try this 35 pilot, NECK middle position, 165 Main 50:1 Golden Spectro 50/50 C12 and No E 87 pump gas. I don't think you'll ever get the jetting right with straight pump gas. I've never had much luck with the JD kits even though the west coast guys swear by them.

The guys that know me know I spend a lot of time at smaller throttle openings :). So the transition off the pilot is very important to me, dropping all the way down to the 35 pilot and enlarging the notch in the slide made a huge difference.
  10. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. shortman

Oddometer:
    Damn... KTM is gonna be a motorcycle superpower.... As long as they don't buy Beta!
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. STRich

STRich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are still looking for that wheelie, here is a new vid that shows Tim Coleman running through the steps. @ 4:15 he talks through the timing.

Bucho likes this.
  13. aleksbaron

aleksbaron Blessed with Purpose Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you it helps for the slow moving ones, but the pivot wheelies continue to befuddle me.
  14. tjsdaname

tjsdaname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. that rumor was started by a photo shopped pic on Instagram.
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. Pictures of the 2020 on the Beta FB page have KYB forks. Their news feed announced it. Show bikes seen in person confirm it. Smart move on their part!
  16. shortman

Oddometer:
    gulfcoaster, wwguy and STRich like this.
  17. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that video. The drone footage is amazing! I had my off-trail experience up there while solo riding a few years ago while riding through the shadow at the 11 second mark in the opening of his video.

This lookout is within riding distance of our family cabin in the area, so I each season I try to spend some time riding and maintaining the trail. This year I was the first rider up there on July 14 after the snow finally melted on the upper north-facing slopes. Local riders like me (and others) ride more slowly with tools and chainsaws etc. to keep the trail in good shape.

Micro-rant: It's a bit frustrating to see visitors like Kyle, who admits he's never ridden the trail before, riding the trail as fast as they can. He seems more focused on getting nonstop action video footage than riding with the fragility of the trail in mind, especially in the final approach to the lookout. The trail is obviously very narrow and the soil is extremely loose. Rider slide-offs, due to riding too fast for some corners, and whiskey throttle both tear off fragile trail benches. I can see the rider at 14 seconds spinning off the low side ride before the shot changes, and another rider doing similarly around 5:02 in the same section. In the latter clips I can also see several spots where other riders have ripped off the outside of the bench by riding aggressively.

I can't remember exactly which pics I shared previously, but I'm sure at least a couple of those below will be reposts.

Here's the upper section the day of my Big Adventure while solo riding up there. (Ironically all of my rides here have been solo.) On the return I slid off the trail right where the bike is in this photo, as the trail bench had been stripped away by others leaving leaving only loose soil on an off-camber slope. On the return while slowly creeping past the dead snag shown next to my front tire below my pantleg caught on it and I came to a safe stop. But when I transferred braking control from the rear brake to front brake (so I could lift my right pant leg gently from the snag) the remaining trail gave way and down I went. At the 12 second mark in Kyle's video you can see the dead snag, which I've since removed, laying below the trail.

[​IMG]

Below are the results of my folly, once I'd walked 9 miles off the mountain and hiked back with sufficient recovery gear. It doesn't look so bad in the photo, but drone shots in the video give perspective to my predicament. The snag that caught me is on the far right in this pic.
    [​IMG]

In July last year I returned with tools and spent half a day re-benching the trail. The dead snag that caught me is now below the trail. As indicated by the trail condition shown in the video. most of this work has since been erased by careless riders, and perhaps some winter erosion too. (This mountain is snow-covered from October through late June and sometimes early July.)
    [​IMG]

Some trail clearing I did this year on the lower section of this trail:
    [​IMG]

I'm obviously passionate about the topic, in part because it's a labor of love for this area. But the panoramic views are worth it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BobcatSig, Lutz, Bitingdog and 6 others like this.
  18. wwguy

wwguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LMAO, it's amazing what they can do with PhotoShop these days!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bitingdog likes this.
  19. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    First post in this thread. I guess we'll see where things go...

Spent all weekend pounding laps on 2020 Beta's while being filmed for Beta Canada's marketing team.

Anyone want to buy a 2018 GasGas 250?

I'm reasonably familiar with the 2020 Beta's now after putting about 8 hours of ride time on them over a day and a half. Any questions?

Also, I know the pic above me proves it. But I do have access to the Beta Media web Portal. And can confirm 100% that the race models have KYB forks and Sach's ZF rear shock.
  20. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    Totally agree with you. YouTube and its stars do not help alpine trail conditions. Kyle wants more viewers so he will default to all action vice concern for trail tread life.
    Bitingdog, Bucho and wwguy like this.