Beta 250 / 300 RR Two Stroke Thread

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Knobbiethrower, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Knobbiethrower

Knobbiethrower ADV in ADK

Oddometer:
    Show us your ride ,share your opinions and experiences
  2. imsroll

imsroll BigBoreSavant

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. Knobbiethrower

Oddometer:
    2013 or 2014? Either way, nice looking scoot. What's your avg fuel range?
  4. imsroll

imsroll BigBoreSavant

Oddometer:
    2013 and fuel range is garbage, My ktm 300 got about 100 or so miles on the stock 3 gal tank this one probably goes 70 miles on 3.2 gal at race pace.
  5. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    I rode a KTM 300xc back to back to back with a 300RR and a GasGas ec250 when I was looking to go back to a 2 stroke. The KTM power seemed stronger across the board. The 300RR was very stable and it seemed a little softer off the bottom. Top ends were about the same. The GasGas didn't have the top end of the 300's and had low end power on par with the KTM.
  6. imsroll

imsroll BigBoreSavant

Oddometer:
    KTM's motor is good but the beta feels better to me. much smoother has a great soft pull from bottom but it can be "dejusted" to have a very rowdy power delivery as with the ktms via power-valve springs. At 6'5 the lower seat height on the beta scared me but I find it more comfortable then my KTM's
  7. Knobbiethrower

Oddometer:
    Stock carb? What jetting are you running?
    White 3.1 IMS tank?
  8. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    Turns out I rode the RR on the soft setting on the ignition. I'm sure that would make a big difference. I ended up buying the GasGas and the owner pointed out that the dual ignition switch is hidden under the gas tank on a radiator hose. He says he just left it in the power position and never changed it to soft...ever. :rofl

The RR was much smoother than the KTM. The KTM had a hit that was way fun to play on. As you stated, that can be adjusted out or adjusted in with the springs in the power valve.
  9. imsroll

imsroll BigBoreSavant

Oddometer:
    I liked the gasgas and it was my second choice but the craftsmanship on the beta at first glance was far better. Was a hard choice but in the end it came down to the starter motors. The beta was redesigned and out of the box, the gasgas was a ugly poor attempt to copy the ktms, and that alone scared me away.
  10. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the build qualityof the Beta....top notch. My GasGas was a factory endurocross ride and thus had no e-start. It came with the latest generation of Rekluse and all kinds of go fast goodies and one off items hand made by the EC team. I also got a few sets of plastics and an extra set of wheels. Made up my mind really quick!
  11. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, a tad more than a month into owning the 300RR I have %99 good things to say. Bad up front, connectors, lowest budgeted item on any modern bike I have seen. Maybe assembler had a bad day and used force over finesse. Franks Motor Bikes has already taken care of this as a warranty item. The Trail Tech odo has also absorbed water, also under warranty. I must add, 260 miles of extremely wet single track in the Pacific Northwet has taken it's toll. The rest of the bike, flawless. Combining the Motoz Hybrid Mountain tire with the Rekluse and you have a rock crawling bike that also rips the quad trails (yawn) and makes small work of the tightest single track.
    Pics sometime soon.

Yes, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!!!!!
  12. Pat999

Pat999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any one go up a tooth on the front sprocket on a 300 rr. I rode a 2015 and I am looking at a 2016. I do like to come out off the woods and ride some back roads. I usually do the opposite with my 4 strokes. But I think I want to go a bit higher geared on the 300 at least for a while.
  13. gabrielu

gabrielu Mo' Beta!

Oddometer:
    I went DOWN a tooth to 12t just to be able to use wider set of gears in tight single track. In hindsight probably not needed, as now I end up almost never using first gear other than from a standstill. So planning to go back to 13t
    This said just the other day had to take a 5 miles road to connect trails, and bike went up to 75mph no problem, perfectly happy at 45 or so- And that with a 12t and will be better with the 13t

So unless you need to ride a lot of street, I would not worry about giving higher gearing until you have checked how you like the 13t on conning roads- YMMV of course-
  14. Pat999

Pat999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it it has a nice wide gear spread. The one i test rode I don't think I got past 4th gear. I was mostly on a loose rock winding trail but came out to the road for a very Short while. Outstanding bike though!
  15. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    Just put a deposit down on a 2016 300RR... can't wait to try her out. Currently on a GG EC250 - fine single-track machine but getting parts in a reasonable time for it is getting too hard. Really hope that Beta has staying power and doesn't follow Gas Gas path to financial ruin.
    cedric likes this.
  16. garrett

garrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Lav
    Apparently GasGas got bought and production is resuming soon, so hopefully the parts won't be too difficult to get.
  17. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Now you tell me...

I loved the Gasser, but I was worried about parts availability, and the option to buy a bike and Rallye kit came up, so the Gasser went...
  18. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i figured this was a bit too beta-specific for the general video thread and beta riders might get a laugh out of it.

spent a great weekend riding with graham cameron, sydney's beta dealer in australia. he is a fellow idiot too and we came up with the ridiculous vid that we just hope beta head office doesn't decide to sue us. :D

Fasttrak and Nobade like this.
  19. Pat999

Pat999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone notice the kick starter hitting the foot peg? Happens every good kick at the bottom of the motion where my bike likes to fire up. The kicker is getting banged up from the peg cleats. All stock. Maybe my technique or can these be adjusted?
    Electric start works great, just enjoying kicking once in a while as it's easy enough on the 300 2 stroke.
  20. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I noticed that too, and rattles against the exhaust (unless I bent mine slightly)... so until I find a solution I just pushed onto the lever a short used section of hose tubing to cover the contact point ...