Beta 480 rr (w/ upgrades) for adv touring

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by ducatista420, Oct 27, 2020.

1. ducatista420

ducatista420 n00b

Oddometer:
    I intend to ride around the world (about 50:50 dirt and road)
    I am looking at a Beta 480 rr as a base bike. I like it because of a taller gearing than other lightweight enduros.

Does anybody have experience with Beta as an ADV bike or it´s general performance?
  2. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I answered some of your questions in the other thread you posted. But I will try to give you my more specific insight into the Beta 480 RR as I own a 2017 500 RR-S (really a 480, sold as a 500 here).
    I have used my bike for dual sport / light ADV riding but not for super long multiple day trips. The longest I've done is 5 days and roughly 700 miles during the central Oregon BDR loop which had a higher content of dirt than pavement, but some fair stretches of pavement. We packed luggage but not camping gear for this ride. I have done another 3 day ride where I packed camping gear. I have done stretches of real freeway (~65-70 mph) for roughly 50-75 miles at a time, but not all day stuff, I rather shudder to think about riding that bike all day on the freeway, back roads maybe OK with plenty of stops.

The engine is smooth, I don't really have much issue with vibrations, though on the freeway for extended periods you do seek out the best rpms for minimal vibes. I run 15/50 gearing as I've found that just about ideal for all conditions. If I wasn't doing much of anything technical I'd run 15/48 gearing which is stock for that bike here. I run a cush rear sprocket made by Mox in New Zealand and I feel that helps to smooth things out on the pavement quite a bit and also saves some beating/wear on the transmission.

Here's a picture of the Mox sprocket.

[​IMG]

The number one detriment to long distance riding on that bike is the seat. I have an upgraded seat by Seat Concepts and it's barely acceptable after about an hour on it. Stock is unbearable for 20 minutes. If I were to do a RTW ride the primary thing I'd do as an upgrade is to have a custom seat built that was wider with even more foam cushion than what Seat Concepts does, it's just not enough. I don't have a good photo of the seat right now but I can take one and post it back here later.

I also run a Scott's steering dampener which really helps on the faster pavement stuff as any light enduro bike gets wigglly at 65-70 mph.

I machined the mount for the Scott's stabilizer as I didn't like what was available.

[​IMG]

For me the primary drawback for any light enduro bike like this is the very short service intervals, part of which are brought about by not having that much oil capacity. The Beta engine has separate oil for the engine and transmission which helps. Each chamber holds 750cc of oil (so a total of 1.5L for comparison) and the oil filter is quite large, 2x the size of a KTM engine. This is primarily what allows the oil change interval to be extended to 30 hrs. The KTM/Husky engines share the oil between the cavities and they have a short filter and oil change intervals of 15 hrs.

Personally I'd find this a deal killer as on the Beta you'd be changing oil every 1,000 miles or so and that's pushing the spec some. It's not super hard to do, you just need to do it because you're only working with 750cc of oil in each chamber. Valve clearance is supposed to be checked every 30 hrs but many go beyond that, I will. I checked mine around 40 hrs and had one intake valve a bit tight, the rest were in spec.

The other primary drawback of the Beta for a large luggage load is the plastic sub frame, it's not very strong. I have mounted the Nomadic rear tail rack to mine (which I believe is out of production now) but the upper mounting points are not very good. The upright struts that hold the subframe at the rear are aluminum so that's good.

The subframe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Nomadic tail rack.

[​IMG]

How it mounts to the subframe at the rear. This is the weak point, but there's nothing else available. Those points go up into threaded inserts in the plastic sub frame, nothing metal to back it up.

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of my bike loaded for the Oregon BDR, this is without camping gear.
    [​IMG]

I have the IMS 4 gal fuel tank and my range is about 160 miles to dry I think, maybe more if you're going slower etc.. I average about 40-42 mpg which is what most guys seem to get.

This is the luggage setup I used for camping, similar but some extra stuff.

[​IMG]

The one thing you also should upgrade is the kickstand, the stock one is marginal at best and the pivot point in the frame is small and wears quickly. I upgraded to the Fastways billet stand which is much sturdier and works far better for when the bike is loaded. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

[​IMG]

That's about it for now. I have done a lot more detail improvements and if you have specifics you'd like me to cover I will try.
    spacely likes this.