Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray never rode a Beta 2 stroke.And he rode alot of brands before the 4 stroke.
  2. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your memory is getting a little fuzzy, Line.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be, but I do lnow every one of his bikes ran really well. So did Ray ride the Beta in 01 and 02? I remember him riding the Bultaco at the Texas National in "99 with the large mound of tractor tire section in the pits. I had lots of rev 3's and always ran a 10 tooth sprocket and never, ever used 1st. Riding our Expert class. If you remember Tim Faslte moved to Texas and quickly was a top Texas rider,.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a jetting question, I have a 16 300 that has stock jetting and runs pretty good here at sea level ( when it’s not dribbling gas)
    I am going to be riding at around 7,000 feet in a few weeks
    Can anyone give me some starting points so I can order a few jets to take with me
    Funny thing, of the 4 bikes I own this is the only one that still has a carb.
    When f.I. First came out I was concerned it was to complex and wasn’t user friendly
    Now I’m thinking this carb jetting thing sure looks complex and isn’t user friendly
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    120 main 52 pilot. That is easy. Having a fuel injected bike that does not start is hard.
    stormdog and motomofo like this.
  6. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    16 evo 300 factory, titanium exhaust, seems to have an internal rattling going on, more at certain rpms, but always kind of there. Only really noticed it as was doing trail work with out helmet on. But others said, hey some thing is up w/your bike. Easy fix, always wear the helmet, and yes , will take it apart for a look see, Just wondering if any one else has this , and if a high heat permatex located some where might help it, 350 hr ride time, and just recently repacked the rear. O ring appears good, and is not leaking. Thanks r
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    My first encounter with Ray was at the TTC in '04. He was riding a Beta 2 stroke ( I don't know if he competed on it) I rode it and it's what prompted me to buy mine in 05.
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No I went back and looked. He too got along with the Commo"s. I think he rode the 2 stroke two years and then the 4 stroke.
    Myself I had ACL sugery in 2002 and did not ride again till may 2004. So I had some missing time in my memory.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I thought it was the '60's you weren't supposed to remember?
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the first tme I saw Ray ride was his first year of Nationals in 1988. His dad on the other hand, I had the unpleasure of meeting in '75.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend was the first time I rode with the gearing in an event. Most sections second gear. I had several sections both days that I used third. Third equals the stock second gear. I even had a section that I used first gear. Riding at a ski area with an average elevation of 9000 ft , the new gearing just shined. On Sunday I even had 2 clean loops. Riding Expert class. The top 4 of us are all past national champs. Very tight competition. Fun as hell.
    rokhopr, gu9cci and Nobade like this.
  12. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, using this gearing for 3 years.
  13. rokhopr

rokhopr 2015 Beta 250 Factory

Oddometer:
    Well I've now ridden a NEOTT night trial, a NMTA 2-day, a MWVTA 2-day and the RMTA Ute Cup with 9T/44 plus various practice locations from 800 feet to 8,000 feet elevation. It took some adjustment on my part to get used to the new ratios but I'm sticking with this setup. Used first a couple of times in some super tight sections or steep downhills but 95+% of the time it was second gear and nice throttle control.
  14. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
  15. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Locally most of the guys are using Evos. Someone asked me what kinds of bikes I was interested in and I said a Beta 200 because I've scared myself a few times on a 300 and don't really need the power. And they asked why not consider a 300 S/S. Except for the difficulty I have kickstarting a 300, I didn't have a good response. Is the S/S appropriate for a newbie rider or am I better off on a 125 or 200?
  16. I rode an EVO 200 yesterday. If you have trouble kicking a 300, I wouldn't even bother. The 200 is easy to start and it's got good power. If you're riding clubman type sections, I can't really imagine a better motor/bike.

The 300 SS is just a 300 with a slow throttle and a flywheel weight on it. I guess if you were planning to trail ride it a lot, it would be an option, but if you're just going to ride trials, 200 all day long.
  17. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you on the 200! However the SS is not "Just a 300 with a slow throttle and flywheel weight." The compression ratio is different via a different combustion dome and different base gasket. The CDI unit is different and unique. The primary gears are different. The ignition rotor and stator are different. The exhaust is different.
  18. My point was just that if you want a 300 that feels like a 200, how about just get a 200?
  19. Diamondman

Diamondman Always bringing up the rear, but still having FUN!

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, we just bought a 300 super smooth, and love it. I am playing at trials on it, and the wife had me order a seat/tank kit and installed it. she loves it for trail riding. of course on the first outing, we managed to break the rear fender. I googled and didn't really see where to order one easily, any suggestions? would like to order one from an inmate if any on here sell them. Thanks
    slicktop likes this.
  20. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    slicktop likes this.