Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. user7743

user7743 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I right in thinking that the 2017 Factory Edition bikes are different than all other models in terms of their rear suspension?
    Did the 2018 go back to a similar setup to the 2016?
    alpineboard likes this.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct. Their is a thread that Vintage Pro explained the differences.
  3. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Any jetting suggestions for my 125 Evo? I'm at ~800 ft elevation. The bike seems to not always have consistency - sometimes runs a bit lean and other times seems pretty good. I'm going to be pulling the carb and doing a through clean.
  4. CDMAN

CDMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your best is to clean the carb, add a fuel filter, make sure the air filter is clean and all fuel and air lines are properly installed and sealed. Once these are completed then see how it runs before any jetting changes.
    LemmeTry likes this.
  5. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like I read on Trials Central that Betas need some sort of clutch mods from the get go, is that true for the 2017 300 standard versions? Also is there an after market rear fender that is more flexible? Thanks
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been riding Beta`s since 1990. No clutch mod`s needed. (False thread coming from an engineer trying his own remedy) Oil brand does make a difference. There is nothing wrong with the rear fender. My 2016 as been crashed very hard a couple of times and is still good besides abrasions. The front fender sucks due to the plastic fork brace. Large washers from the get go can remedy most of this problem. Most just use a gas gas fender and brace. The rear fender could be mounted with plastic automotive tabs if you are that worried. But yes, Beta plastic is not cheap as I have a whole set for my Factory for when I sell it.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. Harry Potter

Oddometer:
    Good, Thanks for the reply. Do Betas have 6 springs on the clutch plate and if so do people ever remove two to lighten the clutch pull? Thanks
  8. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unless you are getting that 300 super, super cheap the 2018 250 in the classifieds here will be a better bike for you and it is like brand new. If you could not figure the ad out it is Ray P. wifes bike. They do have six springs and you could take 2 out, but I could tell you a better way and use six springs.
  9. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people do, to take some of the pull pressure off the lever. I leave the springs in but use a 6mm x 1.4 mm washer between the inner aluminum casting peace that the clutch spring bolt feeds into compressing the spring. All it is doing is taking spring preload off the pressure plate to make lever pull lighter. Be carefull when taking the inspection plate off, there is a large O-ring that seals the plate that is hard to fit back into it's groove.
    Tryalsryder likes this.
  10. Harry Potter

Oddometer:
    :-)Thanks for the help guys.
  11. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I have seen some older ones that benefited by the clutch fix but haven't heard anyone having the issue on any of the new bikes.
    Thesolidman1 and Harry Potter like this.
  12. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as the beta clutch fix goes, imo, it is luck of the draw in manufacturing, If your clutch plates have a build up/squish out, of epoxy in between the pads, "in the grooves" of your clutch plates. I seem to remember, 6 plates total, 4 inner plus 2 outer, my 4 inners did not have that much epoxy but I scraped them any way. My 2 outers had much more epoxy in the grooves, and imo , definitely needed to be scraped. After doing so, I did notice that all the prior drag was gone.
    So I guess some people may get lucky and get nice clean clutch plates?? It is an easy inspection, so if you do not have any drag , do not worry about it, If you do have drag , take a look at it.

You can get offset clutch spring washers from Stu/Jacks Cycles Berwick Maine, stock=1.5mm, offset= 3.0mm, if I remember correctly. It does lighten lever pressure a bit, and I have zero slip using them, for me any way.
    Harry Potter, jonnyc21 and Fallacy like this.
  13. Tryalsryder

Tryalsryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMO as a Beta rider:
    Love the washer mod under the clutch springs (hate the remove 2 springs mod). I get #10 washers from HD/Lowes.

Clutch drag probably means you have too much oil. Beta's are very sensitive to oil level. Level the bike, take the sight glass out, let oil run out until it almost stops. The oil value from the maintenance book is a refill from a 100% dry state.

Different types of oil also change the way the clutch feels. I like the Motul but hate the MTL 75 for the EVOs while some people really like the MTL. Might be other oils out there to try, but that's just the 2 I've tried.

I'd make sure those 2 factors are correct before someone mods the clutch for anything other than personal preference.
    LemmeTry, Harry Potter and lineaway like this.
  14. findlj

findlj How much fun is that

Oddometer:
    I concur with alpineboard completely on the clutch drag and the luck of the draw, at least on the Standard models. A friend of mine and I bought two new '17 Standard 250 Evo's in May of '17. Mine had significant clutch drag and his did not. I did the "Beta Clutch Fix" on mine and it helped considerably. However, mine always required a significant warm up (like 5 minutes) on the initial start of the day, otherwise the bike would jump when first put into gear.

I, like Tryalsrider, also found I needed to put in less oil than the manual states when changing crankcase oil. I put in 475cc instead of the recommended 550. After trying several crankcase oils, I've found Lucas Oil synthetic 10W30 worked well for my bike.
  15. findlj

findlj How much fun is that

Oddometer:
    Also, regarding the durability of the fenders, those on my '17 Standard 250 have been fine and they've been thoroughly tested! :muutt

Some guys are using an aluminum Gas Gas front bracket and Gas Gas fender to replace their Beta fronts. But, after some checking, I'd found I could buy three Beta front fenders for the price of the Gas Gas front bracket and fender. I just keep a backup Beta front fender on hand.
    LemmeTry likes this.
  16. Tryalsryder

Tryalsryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the oil level, middle of the sight glass is key. If it's more than that, it's prone to drag. On my bike, I refill no more than 350cc.
    findlj likes this.
  17. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    2015 Beta Evo 300 Factory with low low hours. It still smells new when not running. And it still smells new when riding it. The only thing that had wear was the rear tire, and I was thinking 30 or 40 hours, but then it hit me, the first owner was gassing It hard on pavement, so it has to be less than that. Because everything else is mint julep. Also think I am the first to put it in 4th , 5th , 6th, the gear oil/magnet shows this. The chain had not been adjusted ever, and was just starting to need a notch. The orig fact chain lube, was now like tar on the side plates,the sprockets were spotless clean. So , thinking it was used a bit and stored for 3 years. Everything is shiny new. 6 meg p 0211191545-00.jpg 0211191738-00.jpg ixel add pics showed this, and I jumped at it. The titanium exh has not changed color yet!! Right time, right place,... needless to say, I am bouncing around excited!!

Attached Files:

slicktop, Nobade and DyrWolf like this.
  18. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike. Man, I can't ever find deals like this in any of my hobbies over the years. My wife thinks I'm going to be the schmuck that buys a new top of the line bike, puts a few hours on it only to determine I can't ride because it hurts my knees or I'll get bored and then it'll be up for sale to one of you yobs for pennies on the dollar. So the situation with this bike is exactly what worries her...

Again, nice find. Did you spot it for sale locally, find it through a club member, Facebook or through Stu @ Jack's cycles?
    alpineboard likes this.
  19. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    The key for a find is "look morning/ afternoon/ evening/ before bedtime, repeat". I do other things , and when you get up at 5am or 6am the world is your oyster. Yes this was just posted on Stu's used thread. Sometimes good deals are on Craigs, def use a bs filter. but hi res good pics sell, period. Sometimes CL ads are posted in the morning and sold and add taken down before 10 or 11 am, and the world did not even know it happened, ask me how I know this....

your knees will be fine , it is a slow rpm gentle sport, you will not get bored, you will be dreaming it. get a trials bike, the most you can afford.

Buy a beta evo, you can not go wrong.
  20. alpineboard

Oddometer: