Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked the Moto Tassinari reeds today, installed new 250 hours ago, they were totally wear free on today inspection, my ride style is 99% idling around. MT recommends checking every XX# of hours. But considering the low rpm total count on my bike, I waited. 0615191352-01.jpg
    jonnyc21, wheelieman14 and Nobade like this.
  2. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I splurged and bought a 2017 300 2T on Friday. Lesson learned: don't ride new bikes at meets. I rode the Beta I bought, a 2018 TRS, and 2018 Sherco 300 back-to-back-to-back. The TRS seemed overly responsive for me, someone who is only starting their second trials season. The Sherco felt kinda similar my 2001 Sherco 2.9, but tight and fresh; I wasn't WOWED by it like I was the other two (in my head?). I went with the Beta because it was a little more affordable and I liked it a bit more than the Sherco. This Beta is shorter than my old bike (as noticed when loading in my Tacoma) and loves to get on its back wheel. It's incredible how much more willing it is to wheelie and stay there. I've never managed to hold wheelie like this on my Sherco. My wheelies still aren't impressive or good, but this Beta feels right mid-wheelie.

Somehow, the clutch on this Beta isn't nearly as bad as people online make it out to be. Not quite as progressive as my old Sherco, or the 2018 Sherco I rode for a little bit, but perfectly usable and predicable. Then again, I'm a complete noob and these are just uneducated opinions, formed after ~15 minutes on each bike.

Anyway, expect some stupid questions from me in the near-near future. Starting with: what do people do about the CDI and ignition coil on these bikes? Especially the coil, it just sticks out there waiting to get smashed. Should I run a loose ziptie (or safety wire) from the coil to something else to prevent it from completely falling off when I crash? The CDI placement is also puzzling, but looks like it won't be the first thing to hit the ground. There's a CDI guard available, but I'm skeptical.

Is it enough to replace the two rearmost back fender bolts with zipties or should I also trim (maybe remove?) that little lip that holds onto the airbox to the fender can pop off a little easier when I loop the bike?
  3. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike
    y4m4 likes this.
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do not cut the lip. Auto trim push tabs would work better. I still have not broke a rear fender yet. But the front fender could use some large washers.
    LemmeTry and y4m4 like this.
  5. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
    y4m4 likes this.
  6. Nobade

Nobade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old fender didn't have a lip. The air filter would get filled with rocks and sticks and stuff. You want the lip.
    y4m4 likes this.
  7. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked!

Any tips about relocating/protecting the ignition coil, and to a lesser extent, the CDI?
  8. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Leave it be. It's not as vulnerable as you think.
    wheelieman14 and slicktop like this.
  9. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Last one before I leave for a meet: should I trust my chain alignment tool (just got a motion pro yesterday, no experience with it otherwise) or the snails? Having my snails off by 2 or 3 positions is triggering. :twitch

Anything I should be checking that might me upsetting the alignment?
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I know on my Daughters GG 125 I trust the chain alignment tool way more than my snail cams. They are off by at lest 3 positions to keep the wheel strait.
    y4m4 and lineaway like this.
  11. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the chance to ride an EVO 250 at a Beta demo event and am considering buying one. I was told by a dealer that the Beta's had issues with the coolant in the water pump reacting with the magnesium cover causing corrosion that can eventually allow coolant to get in to the engine and mix with the oil (hope I described that somewhat correctly!). I did a little searching on the internet, but all the instances I found were on the Rev3's. Did this issue carry over to the EVO's? Do the non-factory EVO's have magnesium covers? I also read about the impeller in the water pump sometimes melting or coming apart. Is that a common issue, and is that why I see Jitsie makes an aluminum water pump kit with aluminum impeller? Are there any other issues that I should know of before purchasing? I'm a slower female rider that would be using this as a lightweight trail bike and would be riding alone some of the time, so I need something that is going to reliable.
  12. CDMAN

CDMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EVO 250 is a great bike. Have had one for 4 years no problems with the impeller. Have heard of this problem with a very few Betas. Also have heard of the problem with other brands. Easy fix it it does become a problem. Go ahead and buy the bike you well be happy.
    slicktop and 10K like this.
  13. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Unless I am mistaken the impeller issue was only on the 4T bikes and very few in the grand scheme reported.
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are reading the wrong info. The Beta two stroke is the most reliable trials bike available. And have been around longer than any current manufacturer.
  15. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Anyone have 0.80kg (stock) or 0.84kg fork springs they're willing to part with? The front of my 2017 is firm and slow. Feels harder than another club member's 300 with 0.84kg springs. Both adjusters are all the way out.