Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Is the 900 from empty (engine rebuilt)? If so there is almost always quite a bit in the clutch. Never able to use the spec amount in my daughters Beta or my wife's Gas Gas always less.

Not 4Ts but hope it helps... or someone else can come in with the exact information.
  2. EnduroAmerica

EnduroAmerica YouTube.com/enduroamerica

Oddometer:
    Good point about the clutch. Next time I'll pull the clutch cover and see if any additional will come out.
    Im going to an event with it this weekend and will change the oil after again and report back with my findings.
  3. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2016 evo 300 2T manual states 550 ml. When drained when hot, tipped and all, 550 ml is replaced , the sight window is covered and then some. When 450 ml is used , it come to the middle of sight glass when bike is level. Whether or not there is 100 ml still in there , to be determined. Is level above the glass window OK, or should proper level be 1/2 of window? any one?
  4. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Some guys get their oil level initially set right in the sight glass and then measure what drains out to replace the same amount.
    I just put 450 back in my 300 2T and it comes out about right.
    EnduroAmerica and alpineboard like this.
  5. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Like my 9 to 42 sprockets, its done a lot for my balance in the tight stuff. But have noticed a bit more chain side plate wear looseness developing in the Regina, with the 9 (80 hrs), as compared to when the 10 (60 hrs) was on there. When the time comes to replace it all, a 10 to 46 is very close to 9 to 42 ratio. Hoping that the 10 will be nicer to the chain, and if needed, can put an 11 on, thus 11 to 46, which is close to the 10/42 stock. Can use a sprocket/chain calculator to get # chain links correct. Already played with it, approx. 102 links. Anyone see something wrong with this ? Thanks

9/42= 0.214 on the bike now
    10/46=0.217 future combo

10/42 =0.0238 stock
    11/46 =0.0239 maybe an option

my bike is an 2016 evo 300 2t
  6. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't pulling the clutch cover, the oil I am talking about is most often in the clutch pack its self. If you want to get it out you have to lay the bike over back and forth on both sides so the oil works its way out of the clutch pack. Not economical in most cases, just make sure you give the bike a back and forth lean after its almost drained and then let it sit a bit more, that's often all you really need to get out.
  7. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:
    There's a 2009 EVO 290 for sale local to me and I've been wanting badly to get into trials riding at a novice level. Seems like a good in.

A few questions which hopefully the group can help me out with:
    Is this a decent starter trials bike (loaded question, I know)? Is there anything specific that I should keep an eye out for while inspecting it? I see some info about frame cracks — is this something to be concerned about on this particular model?

What oil should I use? :D
  8. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of the 2009s had frame and swingarm issues. If the gas cap is centered on the backbone of the frame, and not offset to the left side, then it has the updated replacement frame. Also, the swingarms were cracking in the middle near where the linkage mounted, look underneath and infront of the front edge of the rear tire for cracks. Luckily Beta took care of them when problems arose, so it's very possible the bike you are looking at has already been updated.
    lineaway likes this.
  9. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adding 4 teeth to the rear sprocket will increase the diameter, which would make it a more likely to hit rocks and what not. Unless you ride exclusively in rock free areas, I would be concerned.
    alpineboard likes this.
  10. .fisher

.fisher pissin' in the wind

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Will take this info with me when I head over to look at it.
  11. Boom Boom

Boom Boom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 09 and zero issues with frame or swing arm however the rear wheel bearings was an issue. For that year Beta used the same sized bearing in the rear wheel as the front wheel. The bearings were cheap and easy to replace, just plan on changing out the rear bearings often.
  12. EnduroAmerica

Oddometer:
    Had a blast out at San Ysidro this past weekend! Wish I could have stuck around but had far to much work to do at the house. The new Beta 300 4T was absolutely amazing. I was a bit unsure of the 4 stroke at first but it has definitely exceeded my expectations! I need more practice than I have time for!
  13. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local dealer just got a 2016 Beta Evo Factory 300 4t in. It's really, really pretty but would I have to learn to ride all over again when I am just starting to get a handle on my Sherco 300 ST? Or can riding both a 4t and 2t trials bike help to make you a better rider? Lots of bling on that Factory Evo :-)
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am jealous, I would really love to try a Beta 4T...

As for going between the two... My wife has a Gas Gas 125 2T and I have a Montesa 4RT and I play on her bike from time to time. Not sure it helps but its interesting to feel the change between the two. At my level I don't think it has hurt my riding but I could be wrong...
  15. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    alpineboard likes this.
  16. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Thinking any new bike is going to be pretty nice. He was talking about the weight , well any 4 going be a bit heavier. Mentioned a little difficulty in tight/ small rock and going slow, but look at his sprockets, 11/42. Try at least a 10/42...9/42. or comparable. And this might help in the caterpillar area that he speaks of?? The pictures show his ride level is very good.
  17. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question for you 4t owners: How does your bike handle high summer temperatures? I live in Texas and we see 100 degree temps quite often and I was wondering if the fan cycles on and off similar to a 2t. I know one guy that has a 4t 300 and he says his fan never shuts off after the bike is warmed up. How does your do?
  18. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Ive got a 300 2t and the fan never shuts off, even yesterday when it was 38 to 40 deg f outside temp.
  19. My fan cycles on and off unless it's 80 plus out, then it's basically on all the time. (280 2t)
  20. EnduroAmerica

Oddometer:
    I think something to watch for is the oil level. If you have a tad to much, yes even a tad, the bike seems to run hotter. I can't explain it but has been an observation of mine. Other than that make sure it is jetted properly and you shouldn't have any issues. It is perfectly normal for the fan to run often at slow speeds. That's the only way air is able to move through the radiator.