Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    On my Betas, it was practically impossible to keep the mounting bolts tight and it would then be hanging outside the swingarm. The PITA is getting to the bolts. The best way was to take some linkage bolts and hardware off. Not cool just to tighten a few side-stand bolts.
    Guys that live amongst trees don't understand the problem that we desert dwellers have with not having a stand. :lol2
    Norman Foley, LemmeTry and Nobade like this.
  2. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    True that on the trees. What are trees?

Bolts appear to be tight, the thing just bends. I was thinking i might have to pull it off and fab a steel replacement but as you said what a PITFA.
    LemmeTry likes this.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    We dont use tree's, we have rocks, lots of rocks.
    LemmeTry and Gordy like this.
  4. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    Do you have the steel or aluminum kickstand? If it's the steel one I have a bracket you can have. I went through all that last year and got the all new setup from Dee. It's way better but costs too much.
  5. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    The bracket is aluminum for sure. Bike is at my dads right now so i cant check the kickstand material. Pretty sure its aluminum though. Thanks.
  6. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    I think the bracket is always steel, but they're different depending on if the kickstand is steel or Al. That bike probably has the newer parts but I'm not sure when they changed.
    Thesolidman1 likes this.
  7. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new to me 2016 Evo 200 has a missing screw on the carb top cap. In the woods we repaired it with a zip tie well enough. When I look on various beta parts websites it doesn't give me a standard screw size but I *think* it is an M4-14 MM. I'd really like to convert these screws from phillips head to allen cap screws, which I can readily buy at Home Depot/Lowes etc. My question for the group is, the beta part 31.63667.000 says screw, top and when I look on other sites I see that it might be a M4-14 screw.

Does the thread pitch vary on M4 screws that makes it difficult to pick out or should I just buy the Keihin replacement Phillips head screw?

edited: noticed some grammar and clarity issues with my question.
  8. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Metric bolts & screws of all sizes are available in fine or coarse thread pitches. Seeing as it's on the carb top I would bet your M4 is fine. I'd buy one and try it by hand. If it threads in easily with just fingers, you're golden.
    fprintf likes this.
  9. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jets R US , lots of carb parts and info for beta Kiehin pwk 28,...etc
    fprintf likes this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just remove it and take it with you. Got to be a .08 or smaller.
    Huzband and fprintf like this.
  11. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the fabled #6 and #7. No clue if they are actually present on the steerer in the bike as it is functioning fine and I don't see pulling it apart until sometime in the fall. Will post up once the multi-month project is complete ha ha IMG_7910.jpg IMG_7909.jpg
  12. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I do not remember seeing that on my 2015 factory 300, or 2016 factory.
    unospeeder likes this.
  13. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks everyone for the suggestions. It turns out it was an M4-0.7 - 14mm but the 15mm ones I bought fit just fine.

Question for the group on what material for the screws is best. I have both regular steel (black color) installed and stainless steel (not yet installed). I have read about galvanic corrosion when using the SS fasteners, but am a little worried about rust in the steel fasteners.

61698257280__50FED61A-61E0-4BC5-8F9E-F76872D858D4.jpg
  14. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anti-seize and no worries.
  15. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    They are dissimilar metals ether way so without some kind of anti-seize you will see issues. I would go SS and anti-seize.
    fprintf, Norman Foley and Huzband like this.
  16. alpineboard

Oddometer:
    0719200951-01.jpg These are trees, we need to ride in between them, then go over the rock, and sometimes we cut one down and place it next to the rock to make the ride easier. And the trees have roots, that get slippery when wet. This is the most recent section at "Granite State Moto Trials Group". a good 40 inch high rock.

Attached Files:

17. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wondering why later model year Evo's have 2 breather tubes. One off the side of the tank on the threaded portion where the fuel cap threads in and one in the cap. Based on a cap like the aftermarket billet cap from Beta it would appear the vent in the cap is superfluous. Fill me in.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since the Beta engine is reversed from all other brands, but still uses the left sided PWK carb. The exhaust would give the carb some vapor lock issues. That is why the Beta has the second vent to the carb straight up to the tank.
  19. unospeeder

unospeeder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't looked to verify but if I am not mistaken the vent tube running from the tank/fuel cap collar is routed down and out near the rear linkage with the rest of the vent tubes. The cap vent tube comes in a stock configuration that vents all over the right side of the tank. I just ran a longer vent for the cap vent down and out with the rest. So you're saying the vent from the collar attaches to the carb?

*Edit. Tried to look but too dark and too much shit in the way to see the exact routing. If that is indeed how it is routed how does the Ray Peters/Beta cap work?

https://shop.betausa.com/p/evo-billet-aluminum-gas-cap/trial_beta-2-stroke_chassis_bling?pp=12
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The billet cap was made to replace the plastic pile of crap that came on the 18`s. In just a short while they would not screw all the way in. The Beta gas cap was always aluminum back to the Zero models.
    Some people have thought the 2nd tube on the tank might be Beta trying fuel injection. I believe they just had past issues with tank pressure. On this forum were several instances of this happening. The tank and the carb vents do not actually attach. Maybe your Beta dealer could find out the real purpose.
    unospeeder likes this.