Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today my 2016 Evo 200 puked its coolant and overheated. I was able to take some water from my backpack bladder and get enough in the bike to finish the loop and get back to the clubhouse/car. Now that the bike is home I'd like to figure this out and wondering what order to test things out. I'm learning to be mechanically inclined for sure, though my wife will not be happy if you all tell me I need to buy an IR thermometer or something! I'm thinking I should start with the easy stuff and then proceed to more difficult stuff. So fan, fan switch, thermostat, water pump in that order.

I put new automotive coolant in it (1/2 distilled water, 1/2 coolant) just now so that I don't waste my new expensive bottle of Engine Ice if it pukes itself again. I warmed the bike up and the radiator seems quite hot, slight smell of coolant but not really any I can see dripping or steaming anywhere. The fan does not go on at all. One of my friends suggested jumping the fan switch while the bike is running to see but I've got no clue how to do that.

Any other thoughts on why my bike is using coolant or decided to overflow? It hasn't been abused and there is no mud anywhere on it nor blocking the radiator.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    All you have to do is put 12v to the fan, not run the bike.
    fprintf and jonnyc21 like this.
  3. Vintage pro

Vintage pro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Radiator cap may be bad/ Head gasket leak/ fan may be running slow( not enough voltage )
    457f and jonnyc21 like this.
  4. 457f

457f Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have found quite a few radiator caps bad this year for some reason like vintage pro said.
    I would put voltage to your fan the pressure test your radiator cap and radiator. You might be able to get the tester as a loaner from an auto store. I am not sure what style cap you have.
    fprintf likes this.
  5. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my '16, there was something amiss with the headlight wiring/ switch, than was causing the fan to not work. Do you still have the stock headlight, etc on it?
    fprintf and Norman Foley like this.
  6. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do still have the stock headlight on it. I'll check that out also - the headlight is working just fine. At this point it's all great suggestions and things to check out!

edit: I checked out the fan and it works. Who knew finding 12v could be hard? I had to monkey up something with jumper cables from a car and alligator clip wires from another project but the fan definitely fires up. This is pointing towards an issue with the fan thermostatic switch at least for part of the problem.

edit2: weird. I noticed that the lights weren't coming on even though the light switch is in the on position. But also noticed the rain mode switch was in, though I don't remember doing it. As soon as I put the rain mode into the out or off position the fan came on. Lights still aren't working but that solves the problem with the fan for now.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was excellent for me to check. I noted in my edited post above that your hint was a good place to check. Something is amiss because the rain mode switch turns the thermostat sensor on and off. With the rain switch on the fan doesn't work, but with the rain switch off (out) the thermostat works just fine and the fan comes on and off with the temperature. Really odd!
    Thesolidman1 and Norman Foley like this.
  8. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you certainly wouldn't want the fan to come on if it was raining !

just joking :-)
  9. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Anyone have good tips for getting the fender screens to stay attached? I've tried hot glue many times to no avail. The screens are fairly inflexible and not easily bent to match the curve of the fender, which puts stress on the glue and eventually they keep falling off.
  10. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Permatex Black, bend screen to fit kind of, Gorilla tape the screen on one side to sit as tight as possible, permatex black the other side, next day do the other side. Or tape across perpendicular with thin strips of Gor tape, leaving spaces to be glued , and perma tex in between, gargle, rinse, repeat.
    LemmeTry and Norman Foley like this.
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Eventually, as in almost immediately? That is one shitty design. :nod
  12. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    I used contact cement and clamps. Let set 24hrs. Working well so far.
  13. Thesolidman1

Oddometer:
    Rivets, but it's not beautiful.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  14. Thesolidman1

Oddometer:
    Trying to remember, but i think on mine, the fan wouldn't work when the headlight was turned on. Ended up just get rid of the headlight for a numberplate and redoing some wiring and no more problem.
    fprintf and Norman Foley like this.
  15. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'll give the Black Permatex a try. I know I've got a tube of it laying around somewhere...

Yeah. I think the new ones are better though because they started molding into the plastic
  16. Monty348

Monty348 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 14 EVO had this same problem. Take off the headlight lead cable and check to see if the two wires are shorted to each other. They looked fine from the outside on mine but were somehow connected beneath the outer sheath.
    fprintf likes this.
  17. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remembered now that my son crashed the bike, and thought to disconnect the headlight... now everything is all fine. What an odd scenario that a faulty headlamp would cause such an issue! Anyway the bike is working fine with the headlamp removed. I think I will just put a number plate on there going forward.
  18. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is not an oil question (though it could be!) but how to best measure the oil level.

When I put the bike on my bike stand (an overturned 5 gallon bucket) the front wheel touches the ground and the rear wheel is in the air. I assume this is not a good way to look at the sight glass and see whether the oil level is correct. Is the best way to measure the oil to stand the bike on its tires for a few minutes as close to vertical as possible? If so, what is the best way to accomplish this? The level seems highly sensitive to angle -- when the bike is on my hitch rack it is measuring low, and when it is being held up by me perfectly level it is reading high.

edit: I tried the "empty it out (about 400+ ml) and put back in what you take out" however I think I screwed that up because I thought it was reading low and added more oil when the bike was on the hitch rack to make it come to level. I don't like the way the ATF is running in the bike right now, so I'm going to change it back out for something else.
  19. lm248

lm248 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I measure mine,,
    on both tires,
    on the garage floor
    Held up more or less level.
    With the sight glass just under half.
    Les
    fprintf likes this.
  20. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Fix'd?

I would think that angle, front-to-rear, would be critical but side-to-side not so much. Thoughts?