Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Side to side angle does matter since the sight glass is on one side. I find it's best on my bike for the oil level to be just below or right at middle of the sight glass, otherwise I get clutch drag. Both wheels on the ground, bike vertical when measuring.
    Bronco638 and Huzband like this.
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Well, I didn't mean leaning over 30* :D but +/- 10* of vertical should be OK, I would guess.
  3. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found it is extremely sensitive to side to side angle. I can tip the bike just a little past vertical left or right and see the oil level rising or falling. Last night I changed the oil and once again I think I put too much in because I am getting clutch drag that I didn't have before. The level is right at the half way point when cold. My bike seems to prefer oil level in the lower half of the sight glass when the bike is cold and the bike is perfectly vertical, and on its tires on the garage floor. When it is on its side stand or my 5 gallon bucket stand the entire sight glass is filled with oil.

On its side stand:
    [​IMG]

Held level and on both wheels (not on the stand).
    [​IMG]

BTW I had to tip the bike completely on its side to get all (edit: most of) the old ATF out - there was so much stuck inside various cavities in the engine and in the sight glass even. Hence the pink translucent color of my oil now. I used Maxima MTL 80W which is kind of a light brown translucent color, which mixed with whatever ATF I couldn't get out.
    LemmeTry, lm248 and Bronco638 like this.
  4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Duly noted now that I have a '16 Evo 300. :thumb
    Norman Foley, 10K and fprintf like this.
  5. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just fyi, the bike is new to me also... so take your advice from the Beta experts instead as I'm still learning from the masters here!
    Bronco638 likes this.
  6. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    On bikes with such a small capacity as our trials bikes, the position of the bike in relation to the sight glass is very finicky. If you can't get it level on a stand, & I don't see why not, then leaning the bars into an immovable surface while in gear where the bike is nearly perfectly balanced is the solution. Just don't have any kids or pups around. :lol3
    lm248 and fprintf like this.
  7. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can see myself out in the garage with my 3' level ensuring that the bike is level, front to back and as vertical as I can get it. Then, bending over to check the sight glass while the bike falls on my head.......:D
    Huzband and 10K like this.
  8. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    put the bike on a "sump stand" then put boards under whichever tire is touching so that both wheels are on the same thickness of wood on your level shop floor. front to back wasn't as picky as side to side on the gasgas. I on the other hand, since I no longer have sight glass, (TRRS) have to hope that I am putting in the amount that works.
    fprintf and Huzband like this.
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    It was really more of a joke than anything. I have a floor jack with a fabbed square 'head' that'll hold the bike perfectly vertical while both tires remain firmly planted on the garage floor.

If your bike didn't have the proper amount, I'm guessing it would let you know, in some manner. :D
    Huzband likes this.
  10. lm248

lm248 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The biggest issue with all of the Beta's I've had,,,,,,
    To much oil,,,
    Different oil,,,
    Dirty oil,,,
    All affect the the feel of the clutch differently.

Les
  11. fprintf

fprintf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth! My new oil Maxima is wonderful for clutch feel but it is dragging so badly with the lever pulled all the way to the bar with 4 fingers that I cannot start the bike in gear at all when cold. It starts moving on its own with my usual 1 finger pull. I have been wondering whether I got the right oil level but it is perfect in every possible way. So as you say, oil change affects the feel of the clutch. Time to go ride this thing and hopefully get some heat into it to see if that eliminates the drag.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  12. LemmeTry

LemmeTry Over-thinker...

Oddometer:
    Most likely you've still got too much oil in there if it's dragging that bad. On the 2t bikes you can have the oil level as low as barely visible in the sight glass without consequence to the bike.
    fprintf likes this.
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    So, what you're saying is, it's more important to put in the correct amount of oil as opposed to using the sight glass as a measuring 'stick'? If so (and I can get onboard with that) then the sight glass is used to verify that there might be oil in there? :hmmmmm
  14. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I use Bel-Ray Gearsaver and change it every 4-5 rides. Tilt the bike L&R to drain as much as I can. Use 500ml so I get 2 changes from a bottle and never check the level as I change it frequently. No problem with clutch drag and shifts great. KISS. :clap
    CDMAN, Bronco638 and Wingboy like this.
  15. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    450cc and forget about it! :pope
    findlj and y4m4 like this.
  16. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Two conflicting posts back-to-back so what am I to think.........? It's ANOTHER oil thread...........:lol3
    Norman Foley likes this.
  17. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    420-430mL here and it still kisses the top of the sight glass sometimes. I frequently think about adding less, but I get anxious and end up adding the "extra" 20mL back in. :dic

:dhorse
    Bronco638 and fprintf like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    30 Years of riding Beta`s and I always ran 450cc of ATF. All other oils drag and/or are sluggish with response. Using a site glass is plain silly on anything, just another place for an engine to leak. They are crap that eventually shrinks and needs replaced.
    Norman Foley, fprintf and Huzband like this.
  19. grizCP

grizCP RMTA

Oddometer:
    It may be totally coincidence, but I feel like overfilling the trans oil corresponded to more frequent false-neutrals. I have no science/evidence for this, but it did seem to happen more when overfilled. I use 425ml of Maxima MTL 75.
    Norman Foley, fprintf and Wingboy like this.
  20. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    @grizCP What does "overfilling" mean to you? Is it 25ml (for a total of 450ml) or more?