Beta EVO Thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by garrett, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Hope not (no offense Ron)!
  2. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My new 300 4t Factory will be here Wednesday and my dealer is suggesting that I run race gas. It's about 8.00 a gallon for 105 and I'd rather not buy expensive fuel if I can run 93 if possible. What do you guys run and do you know what jets are in your bike? Anyone try 93 with octane booster?
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Race gas?:imaposer Did you BYOB the bike with the race cam and pipe? That actually is a true option. Some people believe the myth. :kboom Too bad Ray P. is no longer in Texas. He has to be the most knowledgeable person on the Beta 4T.
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I would give the 93 a try and see how you like it before spending the $ on race gas. If it runs great and you don't get any detonation then keep running it. My wife's Gas Gas Pro 125, daughters Beta Rev 80, and my Montesa 4RT all run fine on just 93... Let us know what you do and how well it works. :thumb
  5. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's telling me the bike will have a 27.5 pilot, 130 main and a tank of 105. I do intend to give 93 a try but I would like to know what others are using. Two other guys have 4t's in our club and they all run race gas so I don't have anyone with 93 experience here.
  6. EnduroAmerica

EnduroAmerica YouTube.com/enduroamerica

Oddometer:
    I bought a new 2016 EVO 300 4T about 2 months ago and have ran nothing but 91 octane premium since new. Mainly because that's the highest octane fuel we have here. Never once have I had an issue. I always try to run all the fuel out and never keep fuel on hand for more than a week. I have never shut off the fuel petcock, always leave it in the ''auto'' mode.
    You're going to love the bike.
    lineaway likes this.
  7. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you what jets are in the carb? I really would like to stay with pump gas. I ride a lot so I've never had a problem with gas going bad.
  8. EnduroAmerica

Oddometer:
    Whatever came stock in the carb are the jets I am running. Bike runs awesome, never bothered to pull anything apart.
  9. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have the 2016 Beta evo 2t, believe it has 11.0 compression ratio. The higher the compression ratio, the more octane you need to keep it from pre detonating/Pinging. For my bike Beta recommends 95, Sherco recommends 96, but its all about the compression rating. I mix race gas with pump gas in a ratio to get the desired octane. I tried a small amount of 93 ethanol 6% I believe, with my race gas mix, and the result was terrible. So I drive a bit more to get 91 ethanol free and it works great in my mix. Have a bunch of 5 gallon containers. Here is the math to it, although there are octanes calculators out there,
    you can do anything you want. This is what I do:

VP C16=116 octane and 91 eth free
    total of 5 parts
    4 parts of 91, so (4/5 x 91)= 72.8
    1 part of 116, so (1/5x116)= 23.2
    add these , 72.8 + 23.2= 96.0 final octane the mix works out to be approx. $4.00/gallon, vp c16= $86/ 5 gal, 91 eth free = $2.40/gal

Lead is an octane booster, it is in the higher octane race gasses, approx. 1 to 2 grams per gallon, I prefer to not breath lead in the exhaust, so one benefit in mixing 4:1, is that it is reducing the lead by 80%. I grew up in the 70's and rode plenty using leaded pump gas, but prefer to be more safe now. Also , race gas in powerful caustic stuff, fuel tanks, etc, be careful. I hear new member, Jim S has written about it. Careful when handling race gas, health wise.
    And about AV aviation fuel Low lead LL, it is LL by aviation standards, but is actually higher than any lead pump gas from the 70's.

here is the link to an octane calculator:

http://wallaceracing.com/octane-mix-calc.php
  10. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alpineboard, thanks for the technical info! Do you know what jets you are running? My dealer is setting the bike up today and I'd like to compare what he suggests v/s what others are running. Doing a mix of gas wouldn't be so bad if it runs good. Thanks for posting.
  11. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the Montesa 4RT they generally recommend premium pump gas. Mine has swallowed quite a few gallons of it - starts easy and runs smooth. I consider you Beta 4T a close cousin and would run pump gas until I saw a reason not to.

I have had bikes that cannot tolerate ethanol, and race bikes that need higher octane too. For them I bought Avgas (100LL). Most airports have it, and will sell it to you. Here it is $4.25/gal, self serve, or $5/gal full serve. You can worry about the lead content, but all piston aircraft are running it, so you are breathing a little lead whether you like it or not.

The big negative to leaded fuel is that you have to remember not to put it in a vehicle with a catalytic convertor.

Race gas is $15/gal around here and comes in 5 gal cans. Lots more money and not easy to find. I doubt if it is healthier to breathe than Avgas too. MBTE and other octane boosters are not good for you.

Oh, one little snag when buying Avgas self serve. The pump asks for your tail number.
    You can just make one up or take it off a nearby plane. Or you can use mine. Will share via PM.
  12. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 2T , 2 stroke, your is a 4T, 4 stroke, the jets are different. also altitude is different.
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete, I think we beat this "gas" question to death, last winter, in the Stupid Questions thread. That said, I run 100 Low Lead AvGas in my Sherco (as you may recall). I don't know the jets that are in the carb (Ron may chime in) but that wouldn't translate to your Beta anyways. I chose to run the AvGas because I didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of clogged jets due to ethanol. I simply don't burn thru enough gas to run the risk of using pump gas. AvGas is about $4.35 a gallon here and the airport is about a 15 minute drive from my place. I can get Sunoco Standard 100 race gas but it's almost twice as much, per gallon, and a farther drive. The AvGas worked great for me this past season, so I'm sticking with it. YMMV.
  14. 1fxstbi

1fxstbi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super Dave (the D17 Champion!), you're right on last years gas debate but this one is slightly different being 4t. I picked up the bike tonight and only got to put a few minutes time on it but I have to admit that it certainly runs goo with race gas in it. A friend of mine owns a 4t that was setup by Ray Peters and we followed the same jet/needle combo as his bike and Ray says that you can run race, av or 93 pump gas just by adjusting the fuel screw. I intend to try 93 tomorrow as soon as I burn down the fuel in the tank. I have choices, that makes me very happy. I was not enthused about having to run high priced gas! I did check with Beta USA and they said the stock jetting was adequate for the bike to run good. We only went up one on the pilot and two on the main so we'll see how it runs tomorrow.

I put my Sherco 300 on Craigslist and it sold in one day, awesome!
    jonnyc21 and lineaway like this.
  15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Has anyone have any experience with the 4Ts clutch being grabby? I "tried" to ride one last week and the clutch was like a light switch and IMO, very hard to use. I also have noticed that a few of the 4T riders seem to be fighting the clutch, but that could just be them.
    I was toying with the idea of trying a 4T this time around, but the clutch deal has me doubting it. :dunno
    Obviously, most riders of this bike are not having the problem, just not sure if they have been modded or not......
  16. EnduroAmerica

Oddometer:
    We're not all professionals like yourself but I think mine is great, although my lack of skill may not know any difference between a grabby and non grabby clutch.
    Come on down, you can ride mine and tell me if I've been doing it wrong all this time :)
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I would suspect they are running very thin oil lacking in the correct additive package. I know it isn't a Beta but my friends 4RT was an on off switch tell he found a good oil. (My 4RT isn't a good example as I run the ELF HTX 740 and that stuff is almost like water but wow what an additive package)

I would expect you would be able to adjust the clutch experience without replacing anything but maybe the clutch lever and trying a few different oil options.

My 2 cents. Best of luck making your choice.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to laugh at this since Garrett and Grayson came home from last trials both insisting getting a 4T next year! Grayson had such a great ride on his dad`s 4T that both boy`s were just stoked at finding that a 4 stroke could work so good on a slick event.
  19. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I plan on coming down for a Sunday ride this winter. :deal

I have to laugh too because talking to Grayson (and seeing him ride that bike) is one reason I have been thinking about it.
    I need to ride one that is properly set up. I'll check with Rob H. or give Ray a call.
    lineaway likes this.
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    After today the boys look to be on Beta 4T`s for next year. I might have to find one too!
    NMTrailboss likes this.