1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta fork seals

Discussion in 'Trials' started by gottadog, Apr 7, 2020.

1. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tim Pilg sent me fork info and promised to fix the link on their site.

Good thing too. Right 65mm. Left 125mm
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was the pre 17 forks. THE 18 ' s should be lower. You will know if they do not have enough travel. Let us know what happens.
  3. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    beta evo fork oil.JPG
  4. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Left side is done. Right side cap not sure. Is there a specific pin wrench for this? I don't have one that fits! Beta doesn't show any special tools for the forks.
  5. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post a pick, I think both the ones I did was left only.
  6. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG-4940.jpg IMG-4943.jpg IMG-4946.jpg
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    My phone does not show these very well. What is the orange thing with the seal??
    Did you not take out the lower bolt in the fork legs?
  8. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used a couple of my smaller torx t handles and a long thin wrench to get the cap loose. The orange is electrical tape used as a seal driver with the old seal. Works great. Easier than my one attempt with pvc.

Last pic is me getting the cap off so I could clean and then reinstall the cartridge. Much easier in the vise since I needed both hands to rig my tool. Both legs are done and feel good.
  9. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I polished out some bad ridges on my honda fork tubes, using jewelers rouge for any burrs , working 800-2500 grit. the paper is at the auto body supplies shop, rouge at a jewlery -stone shop. wrap with one inch wide strip, using a light oil to lube the paper, wrap n spin with flat shoe string. did that 4 years ago, grooves were deep enough to catch a thumb nail.
    Huzband likes this.
  10. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    All of that with a little super glue fixes most leaks if the legs are dinged a little.
  11. gottadog

gottadog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you guys assemble the right side collapsed or at full length? Air volume.
  12. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Collapsed
  13. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have some baking soda handy with CA glue.

Run a pool of super glue on the scratch/ding such that it stands up. Sprinkle a tiny bit of baking soda on the fresh glue. You'll see some grains of baking soda hit the surface then the glue will kick off instantly.

Let the glue cure a bit then come back with a small bastard file, sliding in fluid strokes along the radius of the rod with the file 90 degrees to the long axis of the fork. This will flatten the glue. The file will slide on the rod coating and bite on the softer CA glue and any 'fork rod outies from a ding. If the 'innie' isn't deep or clean enough to accept glue, the file may pop out or file out the cured glue. If it doesn't weep without glue it will probably stay that way.

The baking soda pinch works great on your friend's scalp to pop cure a slit shut. The fast reaction puts out heat and may make him jump around a bit:happay but boom! Instant stitches.
    Huzband likes this.
  14. alpineboard

alpineboard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did my seals on 16 factory evo, had skf seals, noticed there was a bit of grease on the inside of the oil seal, This was done at Beta as seals had never been replaced before, it was very clean, thinking possibly petroleum jelly, aka Vaseline..?
    Huzband likes this.
  15. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's the MSDS for Race Tech's ultra slick seal grease:
    Oops sorry, I posted the MSDS of the fork fluid of the same name. Can't find it for the seal grease yet.

I've used various greases. Last time I used silicone (plumber's) grease. Anyway, the point stands that any grease is better than no grease. Petroleum, silicone, etc.

Attached Files:

alpineboard likes this.