Beta RR /RS 4T enduro thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RICHXHELL, Feb 11, 2008.

1. studiobill

studiobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for recommendations for a more 50/50 tire for my 2019 Beta 390. I recently moved and it seems like the riding around here is mostly gravel roads and really nice remote paved roads. Met someone on this site who showed me a nice route. It ended up being 93 miles (the most I've done in one ride on the Beta) about 60% gravel and jeep trails. I had a IRC 33 on the rear and it scared the crap out of me on the road sections. It also wore down noticeably from the ride.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    goldentyre GT333 is what I'm running. Rubber is not very soft but for dual sport, it's lasting me a really long time. Doesn't really run out of steam on any trails in New England. I did take the bike to a motocross track and it was only then that I wanted something softer (and felt like I could lose a few pounds myself)
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went the GT 723 route. Not super-aggressive but with Tubliss and low pressure it makes a great offroad tire for trail duty. Somehow I've avoided any big mud experiences, which is a miracle, but gravel, loose dirt, rocks, etc. have left me happy. And life on asphalt has been better than I expected.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. studiobill

Oddometer:
    How does it feel on the pavement?
    Thanks
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you guys buying your tanks from IMS directly or are you going thru your dealers or mail order like RMATV? Same with the seats, (Seat Concepts, Sargent)?
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It tracks straight. Pretty stiff sidewall so it airs down decently. no cupping so far with 40 hours of motor time and knobs still look brand new despite aggressive riding. It looks really good on the bike...super fat. I had to add a chain link to keep it from rubbing my fender / swing arm even at OEM size:

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    Though my dealer. Price is usually exactly the same or very similar since the aftermarkets give discounts to dealers since it's easier to process those orders, and it spreads the money out nicely into my own community without hurting the aftermarket supplier.
    1wicked55 and Bitingdog like this.
  8. Thunderbutt

Oddometer:
    CDN Rick, thanks. My closest dealer is 2 hours away. Super nice guy and I want to support him any way I can. I was just wondering if there was any savings dealing directly with the manufacturer.
  9. CDN Rick

CDN Rick Canoodia Eh?

Oddometer:
    The dealer I deal with is also 2 hours away from my house. I consider that local still.
    He gladly ships to me quite frequently for free.
    I rarely find much savings by going straight to the manufacture, and after a few years of dealing with the same shop all the time you'll be surprised how quick they are to offer you discounts or even an occasional free small part or help etc.
    Bitingdog and NJ-Bill like this.
  10. mr_guns

mr_guns Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer:
    IMG_4657.JPG
    Top view.
  11. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Seat Concepts seat works great for dual-sporting my fat ass!
    (https://seatconcepts.com/products/beta-2010-13-rr-rs?rq=yr_2012~mk_beta~md_520-rs)
    (https://seatconcepts.com/pages/product-result?rq=yr_2015~mk_beta~md_500-rs)
    Search for your model. I have the 1st one on my 2011.

Someone asked about 50/50 tires? If you can afford the Michelin Anakee Wilds, I highly recommend them. Great street handling & cornering. They work almost as good as real knobbies offroad. I like 'em better than the MT21/MT43 combo I have traditionally run. Reviews say 4-7k miles on a rear. If I get 3-4k miles, I'll be very happy.

[​IMG]
    Seat Concepts seat & Michelin Anakee Wilds.

Catfish ...
    Twenty9, Bitingdog and 1wicked55 like this.
  12. studiobill

Oddometer:
    I ordered the GT 723's. I talked to the GoldenTyre rep and he was very helpful. I think they will be a good tire for my current needs.
    Thanks for the suggestions
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. Thunderbutt

Oddometer:
    Decided i better go out for a quick ride before remnants of the hurricane head up this way. Found another gravel road less than 3 miles from our place. Only rode up a couple miles as I was only in tee shirt, jeans, helmet, gloves and shoes. Cant wait for better weather to do more exploring. 0915201628.jpg
  14. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supermoto rims may be the way to go for you.
  15. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used to use racks on all my bikes. Mostly for tubes and tube changing stuff and a bottle of gas. I switched to tubeless and got a bigger tank. If i'm doing a ride that may require a little extra gear, I go with small saddle bags. Many brands are good. Many opinions on this...
    OleShep likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Stuck shifter?

I went for a ride today. In 1st. Went to shift to second. Shifted and yet was still in first. It took 3 up shifts to get to 2nd them 3rd was fine. Downshifting was normal. Later, same thing again. Does not want to go to second.

at home, bike off. The lever isn’t stuck. It moves normally. Sounds like it’s working. Mechanically, it sounds like it’s shifting fine.

Before I tear things open, any advice?

this is a 2016 500RS with a Rekluse
  17. shortman

shortman Beta 500 RS, X-Trainer 250 Supporter

Oddometer:
    With bike off the ground spin the back tire by hand and shift the gears with your other hand. If it shift normal then I suspect it's the free play gain on your rekluse allowing a little pressure to be held on the transmission even when trying to upshift. There is more pressure on the tranny in the lower gears (mostly because you not moving very fast) so that would explain the 1st to 2nd being hard.
    AdamChandler and Bitingdog like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I'll give that a try. I didn't install this (came with the bike) and therefore have never adjusted the free play. that's a pretty easy non-invasive thing to do to see if it fixes things. thank you.
  19. studiobill

Oddometer:
    Anyone go from the Beta to a bigger thumper (690/701)? I love my 390 for the single track stuff but I recently moved and there doesn't seem to be any of that type of riding around. I am however now close to the BRP. Another ADV member has taken me on a couple of rides. Beautiful barely 2 lane roads and maybe 60% gravel.
    Did 111 miles yesterday. About as much as I want to do with the stock seat. I never noticed the seat before as I was standing most of the time. I used to have a 701 and it really is the perfect bike for this type of riding. I am going to rack up the hours on the 390 at this rate. I worry about that a little. I'm not running it hard by any means so I'm not concerned about maintenance as much as resale if it has a lot of hours on it. Ideally I'd keep it and buy another 701 but being retired and on a fixed income 3 bikes is out of the question (I also have a 1200GS as my road bike). Should I just buy a better seat and not worry about the hours?
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    You're square in my situation as well. I have a 500 that's built up like a dual sport but I have hours anxiety..am I running this thing into the ground by riding it on multi-day trips even when those trips are like 50% pavement anyway so I'm just sort of wasting its time and money struggling through them and second, why am I suffering and being uncomfortable on this bike just so I can enjoy that trail that's moderately technical and this is the best bike in my stable for it? I don't have a truck so I usually ride to the trail. With a 40L tail bag & tank bag + my 250 pound fat butt, the beta is not in a good place anyway. do I really want to do the TAT on this?

...and yes, the 701 is calling my name but I probably can't own both of these bikes given space. The R1200GS goes 90% of the places I want to go. Beta is ridden about 5% of my miles and when I ride it, I love it but when I'm feeling brave my GS will go down the same trails and so long as I go slow and don't drop it, my day isn't any worse and way more comfortable.
    srelegante likes this.