Beta RR /RS 4T enduro thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RICHXHELL, Feb 11, 2008.

1. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 390 and a 701. For almost anything but real trail/enduro riding, you're going to have more fun on the Husky. The 390 shines when you need the super-compliant suspension and lighter weight of a true off road bike.

As far as hours go - the depreciation on dirt bikes is breathtaking. If you ride it into the ground you've won. That's what bikes are for and you gain no joy, and only a little money, from letting them sit and age. The first couple years of ownership is the hard hit and that happens with or without mileage.

We're all dying at some rate - if bikes make you happy then ride.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    What is the magic age / hours that a bike is a good purchase? 3 years old and 150 hours? is that sort of the depreciation level-off to buying a used one? I'm just curious. But I will say on ADVRider's flea market, I feel that people price their bikes much higher than they're worth. A 2009 KTM 350 with 200 hours at $5500 seems high. Seems they all settle to around $5,000 and stay there for a Long time. not sure they're selling at that price.
  3. studiobill

studiobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The GS will do amazing things. I took the 2 day BMW off-road course a few years ago and the instructors were doing unbelievable things on that bike. But at 65 and only weighing 160lbs. picking that bike up is a chore. As a matter of fact I ended up having back surgery from doing just that. The 1200 is now strictly for the road. The 701 was a blast but I became obsessed with weight and got the Beta because I was doing mostly single track anyway.
    I did buy a trailer for it which was fine before I moved but it does present another problem. If I want to ride with someone and the starting point is 30 or 40 miles away and I take the trailer, they then have to plan the ride so we start and end at the same place which is not always ideal.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with this point. When it comes time for me to part with a bike, I think about all the fun I've had on it and what that is worth to me. If I subtract that from what I paid for it, I might as well just give it away free. :lol3
    Bitingdog, Twenty9 and AdamChandler like this.
  5. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forced to offer advice, I'd just say that bargains are where you find them. A 3 y/o, 150 hr bike cared for by a meticulous trail rider might be a good deal at even a slightly high price. But that is definitely where the loss in value starts to level out. After a three year depreciation, condition starts to matter as much as model year. There are huge regional differences too. The NE may not have as many bikes, but they're way more likely to be low hours and good condition. And dirt bikes normally languish longer on the market here - although this year has been different. All that said, a friend just bought a 2017 350 RE with 150 hours for $4500. I'd say he got a great price!
    Twenty9 and AdamChandler like this.
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Tail Rack and what I like about it is that it affords me more options for luggage etc. It also makes for a great handhold for pulling the bike out of some place. I use my '17 500 RR-S primarily as a dual sport bike with light ADV type camping also.

Here's some pix of different luggage setups I've had using the rack.

[​IMG]

For an extended day ride.

[​IMG]

For an extended BDR type ride but no camping.

P7220119-1.jpg

For overnight camping type ride with my tent mounted on the rack.

[​IMG]
  7. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Yes. Condition trumps hours & miles. Get a comfy seat, and if you're doing lots of pavement maybe a cush hub or mox.

Your bike is a far better piece than a 701/690, unless you're willing to spend big bucks on suspension (KTM/Husky Xplor forks are dreadful Chineseum shite) and probably a wide ratio gearset ($3000 US + much labor) and even with a 701 the stock seat sucks, as does the complex wiring, 2 ecu's, and intrusive & gadgety electro ninny-nannies.

You already have an awesome bike, and a gravel road slaying BMW. You're already set
    johngault, mr_guns and AdamChandler like this.
  8. GaltGumby

GaltGumby n00b

Oddometer:
    Hope I don't get in trouble for this, but wanted to post a link to a 2018 Beta 430 RRS I just listed in the flea market https://advrider.com/f/threads/2018-beta-430-rrs-dual-sport.1468368/ Since this thread is where I started my research for the bike thought others might be in the same boat and looking on here.
    Don't want to derail the thread so please post any replies on the listing page, thanks
    upload_2020-9-22_13-30-47.png
  9. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went out with my friend on his newly purchased DR400 and explored several Forest Service Roads when we came across this abandoned cabin. I would enjoy learning the history behind it. When it was built, previous owners, etc 0923201428_HDR.jpg
  10. studiobill

studiobill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you are right. Also "gadgety electro ninny-nannies" has become my new favorite phrase. Although being an electrical engineer and having owned a recording studio for 30 years, I'm not opposed to electro ninnie-nannies.
    I did love the 701 while I had it but it's interesting how your perspective changes. Before the 701 I was riding an 800GS on pretty technical trails. When I got the 701 it felt like a mountain bike to me at first. Yesterday I took a ride on the 1200GS to a KTM dealer and then to a Husqvarna dealer. Sat on a 690 and then the 701. The 690 seat was really hard. The 701 was a little better but it also felt a little taller. The seat may be more padded. But the interesting thing to me was that they both felt heavy and somewhat cumbersome as I'm now used to the Beta. I was really surprised. I'm ordering a seat concepts for the 390 tomorrow and just not worrying about the hours. It's a great bike. The guy who has been showing me some local rides has a Husaberg dirt bike that was converted to street legal and has a 4 gallon tank. He has over 400 hours on it only doing only fluid changes and it runs great.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  11. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    :super
    Recording studios are awesome!
    Gadgety electro ninny-nannies certainly have their place, but not on dirtbikes and dualsports. It diminishes the purity of the experience, plus wiring quality isn't KTM's strong suit (nor Beta's for that matter) so simple is best on a machine that by design gets bumped and banged a lot.

Good call on your Beta. If you are able to wear out that motor, consider it a sign of a very good life!
  12. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    643A3321-8954-45F8-B63F-8859EA1CB1D9.jpeg Glad I am not the only one with this dilemma. Rode the Smokey Mountain 500 on the 390 and it was awesome. Need a decent seat and maybe a rack. I have the Giant Loop tail rack currently and used a Mosko R40. I rode my 14 690 last time and the 390 was definitely the winner for me. I have a big ADV bike for other travels so I think the 690 may be for sale soon.
    Twenty9, srelegante, rvsparky and 4 others like this.
  13. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 2009 KTM 350 sounds like an unusual bike!! Note that KTM did not bring out the 350 until 2012. For what it's worth, I had HTRacing turn my 2008 KTM 250 XCF-W engine into a 350 way back in 2008.
    Twenty9 and Bitingdog like this.
  14. Carlos Thomas

Carlos Thomas Fast not Furious

Oddometer:
    @BackroadsOnly, add a slightly longer bolt and anchor versus wrapping it around. It does not interfere with your boots. On the left side there is no clean anchor point.

C4431C54-CDBC-46B5-8937-7A493BB22321.jpeg
    NoelJ likes this.
  15. OleShep

OleShep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you have the passenger peg setup then you can have anchors on both sides.. Even with the pegs dismounted.
  16. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip and will make that modification.
    OleShep likes this.
  17. Twenty9

Twenty9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re: tires and seats

Had an eventful ride yesterday on the 390 with two buddies on 500EXCs. Started with a run in with USFS law enforcement, which was very cordial once he saw we were legal riders (and didn't run) and helped clarify access to a few local trails. Nice guy. Then about 100 miles in Central VT (middle of nowhere) I flatted my rear dunlop d606. This tire is so stiff! I couldn't get the beads to touch when I was standing on it during mounting. Way different than the stock Michelin whiched seemed to evaporate after 60hrs. You can press the beads together with one hand on that one. Short story, bike was very rideable with flat dunlop. Got out of the woods, got air/sealant in a can from a store and blasted that into the tubed tire (thinking what a mess that will be later), and the leak changed into a slow leak and had plenty of pressure to ride pavement all the way home. I refilled it with air once at a gas station, but it was about 40 miles of riding in total, over 1 hr of riding. This after two crashes on earlier summer rides with the dunlop, which I attributed to the hard rubber in the rear just sliding out on me on wet stuff...i was getting ready to bail and change it over. Now...i think im going to stay the course.

Also, first longer ride on the tall seat concepts seat. I really had no real comfort problem with the stock seat. But just wanted taller. The verdict is .. not as comfortable for me! I may even switch back. Maybe I have a unique ass, i do spend 400-500 hrs each year on a bike saddle (bicycle) and have zero comfort issues on those.

Great fall riding here in VT now, leaves are coming down and starting to obscure the rocks so its headsup on trails, 2 more big rides planned before the snow hits (I hope).

Attached Files:

18. srelegante

srelegante srelegante Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did the Perry Mtn. Tower Run in AL yesterday-what a course that is. They say it is one of the hardest enduro courses on the east coast.

I am relatively new to this type of riding, at age 49, riding the 2019 Beta 500 RRS I picked up last year. I am very proud of what I accomplished yesterday-very technichal single track. Only one snafu-I hit a tree with my right barkbuster while traversing a left hand off camber and down the hill I went. Thankfully a large vine caught under my front fender and stopped me. Some good samaritans helped push me back onto the trail.

Then I ended up with 4 lbs in the rear and 11 lbs in the front. Once we got all of that sorted, it was a fantastic experience.

FWIW the only mod I have currently is a 14t countershaft sprocket and a different rear tire.

I love my Beta! :0-0
  19. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of concerns about high hours, not wanting to do the road time, etc. I'm a ktm guy, 500exc. We had for a while a beta in our crew. One of the ktm guys is eying a 500 res. (Wants to consolidate a 2009 450exc and a 350 exc 19 into a beta or ktm 500 like the rest of us)

I (we) use the bikes on hard enduro, just got back from Moab and Colorado pass riding. 30, 40 mile commute back to camp is not a worry. I've done 100, 150+ if needed. Top ends are cheap enough, and bottom ends are rare. Go enjoy those bikes! Our experience with the 690 isn't ain't worth it.
  20. Harry Potter

Harry Potter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those old abandoned cabins and homesteads are the main reason I trail ride. The problem I have in riding with others is that they have no interest and old homesteads are like invisible to them. Definitely no stopping for photos. Sometimes I am lucky and do discover their history.
    srelegante and Bitingdog like this.